Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCU throws down

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    Who freaking cares! They are doing this because it is second to Stanford in the bay area. They get 60-70k in tuition, my kids applied. Half of the Seattle private school kids either apply or go there. It's a very attractive place for students. The ad has nothing to do with recruiting or hoops in general. They may be able to parlay it into that but at the end of the day you have to win and we've shown that winning brings kids to a place where the weather is far worse than Santa Clara.

As wiszag said, "as soon as they translate it into success on the court, I'll be impressed".

I care. It's a good start. They could continue to do nothing. Few threw down the gauntlet and someone responded. He has to be thrilled.

Baby steps...

ha ha! I think the ad is hilarious. I give them credit for being bold, and to their alums for stepping up, and to Few for throwing down originally.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    ha ha! I think the ad is hilarious. I give them credit for being bold, and to their alums for stepping up, and to Few for throwing down originally.
    +1
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Kudos to SCU.... invoking the ghosts of fricking Danny Pariseau and Dick Davey.... would love to see the Broncos become competitive again... still want the Zags to thump them but love the competition.... maybe a little far fetched but it's possible for The WCC to become the best basketball conference in the West..... but only if everyone pulls the wagon....

Go!! Zags!!!

Steve Schott previously owned the A's during the "moneyball" era. He donated the Baseball stadium, which is wonderful (and yet the team is a disaster, notice a trend?) and the admissions building. Schott and our other biggest donor (though not on this facility), Sobrato, made a killing turning prune orchards into subdivisions... as did Stanford's Arrillaga. Steven's husband is a VC. Mary Stevens played soccer at SCU, and they recently donated 7.7m for a soccer practice facility. This facility will cost $38m, those two donors are the lead gifts.

The ballsy-ness is funny after the loss to PVA&M, but it's good to stoke the fire and spend some serious money to try to get competitive in this league. This is a program that averaged an NCAA or NIT bid every recruiting class from the 1940s until the 1990s, only to fall off an absolute cliff. It has been supremely frustrating. Sendek has his SCU teams decently put together by league play. The GU-SCU rivalry was pretty good until the end of the Davey tenure. Beyond USF, we're the program in the league with a deep war chest (Sobrato, the SCU billionaire, actually donated the gym upgrades and practice facility to USF) and basketball provenance (moreso than LMU, Pepp, Portland, etc.) to be a player in this league along with the current big 3- though USD has looked good thus far this year.. Hopefully this is a kickstart.

Wishing you all the best of luck through the non-conf!

(hey, how do I make my biography not say "bulldog fan"!)

Thanks for the update SCU.

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Steve Schott previously owned the A's during the "moneyball" era. He donated the Baseball stadium, which is wonderful (and yet the team is a disaster, notice a trend?) and the admissions building. Schott and our other biggest donor (though not on this facility), Sobrato, made a killing turning prune orchards into subdivisions... as did Stanford's Arrillaga. Steven's husband is a VC. Mary Stevens played soccer at SCU, and they recently donated 7.7m for a soccer practice facility. This facility will cost $38m, those two donors are the lead gifts.

The ballsy-ness is funny after the loss to PVA&M, but it's good to stoke the fire and spend some serious money to try to get competitive in this league. This is a program that averaged an NCAA or NIT bid every recruiting class from the 1940s until the 1990s, only to fall off an absolute cliff. It has been supremely frustrating. Sendek has his SCU teams decently put together by league play. The GU-SCU rivalry was pretty good until the end of the Davey tenure. Beyond USF, we're the program in the league with a deep war chest (Sobrato, the SCU billionaire, actually donated the gym upgrades and practice facility to USF) and basketball provenance (moreso than LMU, Pepp, Portland, etc.) to be a player in this league along with the current big 3- though USD has looked good thus far this year.. Hopefully this is a kickstart.

The Davey era was a lot of fun, there were a lot of great games played between the two programs back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

(hey, how do I make my biography not say "bulldog fan"
    !)
    Just keep posting here and you can graduate from Bulldog Fan to Zag For Life! :-)

Good stuff. Thanks for posting here. I assumed Nash was one of the two big donors. Hope you guys have a great season and follow through on your [media] shot!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Just keep posting here and you can graduate from Bulldog Fan to Zag For Life! :-)

Good stuff. Thanks for posting here. I assumed Nash was one of the two big donors. Hope you guys have a great season and follow through on your [media] shot!
    Put me in the category of "hopeful but far from confident" on results.

Tourney with UW, Minnesota, and A&M should reveal a lot... so should next game against UC Irvine, who beat A&M in college station... it's hoops season! Foot of snow on the ground here in Colorado and I'm ready to watch.

Are they going to call it the "House that Few Built"?

Good for them...and the ad... hilarious …..
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-14-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    Are they going to call it the "House that Few Built"?

BTW, thanks much SCU for your input.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Submit more posts and you could be “Zag for life”

Mark Few called out the WCC.

First the WCC responded at the league level, changing policy.

Then the individual teams within the WCC responded. You can tell by some excellent recent coaching hires. You can tell by the WCC moving up in league rankings, now in a position to challenge the AAC while zooming past the MWC. And now these individual institutions are investing in infrastructure. The next step is to create a consistent multi-bid conference. Everyone wins.

I would call Mark Few's move a blazing success. The WCC is becoming a decent home worth staying at.
    I miss Mike Hart

Nash is a piker compared to these guys. Sequoia cap and homes developer up there!!

I think it's a great move, both building the facility and putting the ad in the paper.

Our coach called out the league. Smartly, he didn't name names or make it nasty, he simply spoke the truth. In turn, it seems that some in the WCC offices, as well as some of the schools, have decided that they will meet Few's challenge, and good for them to put it in an ad in the local paper, right in front of Few. SCU, too, wasn't nasty, it is simply saying "We are committed, don't lump us in ..."

Great move by Few, great move by SCU - they had to do an ad campaign anyway, and the most impressionable audience are those who will read about posting it in Few's neighborhood.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Dixie I have seen you apologize for your "alleged lack of expertise" many times, but this post above shows maturity, sensible evaluation of the SCU ad and how reasonable people ought to approach such issues. Thank you for your contributions to this BOARD which often times seems sophomoric to me with young people "going off" for no reason but partisan mush. Yes I'm an old fart who still remembers Burgess but I'm not myoptic either and see value in your posts. Hope others do too.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Dixie I have seen you apologize for your "alleged lack of expertise" many times, but this post above shows maturity, sensible evaluation of the SCU ad and how reasonable people ought to approach such issues. Thank you for your contributions to this BOARD which often times seems sophomoric to me with young people "going off" for no reason but partisan mush. Yes I'm an old fart who still remembers Burgess but I'm not myoptic either and see value in your posts. Hope others do too.

Yep. Great post Dix!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Sophomoric? You mean like, "Burgess was overrated on the court and in court!"

Would love to see San Diego, San Francisco, and Pepperdine follow SCU.

Looks like you try to prove my point. Calm down "me", I figure your post was tongue on cheek or somewhere else. Giving credit to Dixie need not be a contest about verbalizing.

The commitment to building like this has been in the planning stages for years, well before Mark's remark. All living things tend to act in their own self interest and that is their motivation....self interest .....Few is not responsible for this at all....

On the other hand..... I suspect that the ad was motivated by resentment of Few...... and some.... at Gonzaga's condescending attitude toward the WCC......it was a well deserved shot ....and funny as hell....imho of course...

“It’s Mark’s truth – he’s been in this league for a long time. And it’s not always going to be comfortable when people speak their truths.” -- Gloria Nevarez.

Speak their truths? Dear god.

I didn't want to chime in here yesterday, as I wanted yesterday to be all about positive vibes (i.e. Gonzaga's historic recruiting class ... and FWIW guess what guys ... Gonzaga isn't done).

Today is today though, and I can't tell you how gratifying it was to see Santa Clara beg for attention.

Nelson Mandela once said "Forget the past" but I can't forgot how the folks at Santa Clara looked down their noses at GU when we were trying to leave the Big Sky for the "much better fitting" West Coast Conference. All the hoops (no pun intended) they made Gonzaga jump through (via their influence with the WCC ... located just down the street). Santa Clara was the Big Dog and at first GU had to play their conference games at the Spokane Coliseum as the Kennel wasn't "good enough". Most of the WCC gyms were of a similar stature. Fitz had to lie and say K1 held 4,000 seats to finally get our games played there (it held 2,852 ... I know ... I counted them one by one)

There have been eyerolls and subtle (and not so subtle) jabs at Gonzaga from Santa Clara over the years. As recently as the '07 WCC tourney final at Chiles (GU and SCU sections were adjacent to each other). I clearly recall right after the final buzzer an SCU "oldtimer" coming up to El Voce and I ... poking me in the chest and reading us the riot act that Gonzaga STILL didn't "belong" in the WCC and that we'd lose our first game in the dance (he WAS correct about that).

Maybe some day I'll be able to heed Madiba's sage advice and "Forget the past" ... that's something I'll work on this year.

But I'll tell you one thing ... I am flat out loving that 0.049% winning percentage against Gonzaga over their last 41 games (thanks Blanchette for the tidbit on their 2-39 recent record against Gonzaga).

And I DO have to think about how things have changed (i.e. SCU placing ads in Spokane and Seattle). Perhaps forgiveness of their previous actions/attitudes will come even earlier than I'm expecting. GoZags