Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCU throws down

Default SCU throws down

Need some help from the locals...

I'm VERY technologically challenged so unable to do it myself.

There is a full page ad on the back of the main news section of this mornings Spokesman-Review paid for by the Broncos announcing "Game On." Talks about a new Athletic Excellence Center that is in the works, along with a quote from Coach Few.

Is it possible for someone to post that for everyone? Thanks.

Edit:

And since I saw that before I got to the sports, Blanchette writes about it:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ark-fews-call/
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ark-fews-call/

First things first:

Thanks for the ad, Santa Clara!

That was more than $4,000 you dropped on a full-pager in The Spokesman-Review this morning (see page A10), and if you’re even marginally aware of the state of the newspaper business, you’ll understand that the revenue from this shot across the bow of Mark Few and Gonzaga is more welcome than a teenager with a shovel offering to clear the driveway after the winter’s first big snowfall.

They had a similar ad in this morning's Seattle Times.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

It would be nice to see the actual ad before commenting one way or the other.

I would of rather they spent the money redoing the ugly new(er) floor they have on their court. Extravagant to the point of being tacky.

An excellent article by Blanchette!

Thanks for posting...it is good to see that some of the schools are responding! Hopefully, the water rises all boats!

Cool!

One small quibble with the original post, I don't think this is at all off topic. I almost skipped it thinking it was about SCU getting in a throw-down with Prairie View A&M but it's with us!

Shows me Mark got their attention. Another big win for Few and the ad shows it. Elevate WCC or else.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Default I didn't see it posted anywhere so here's the ad

Well its about time they spent the Zag dance earnings on something basketball related -

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Well its about time they spent the Zag dance earnings on something basketball related -
    Here's the Santa Clara press release on it. It's $25 million, and funded by two alums:

https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/ge...20181113iei4u9

Great stuff!! Nice to see! Will be a nice addition to SCU.

And great support for the Review revenue!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

As soon as they translate it into success on the court, I'll be impressed.

Who freaking cares! They are doing this because it is second to Stanford in the bay area. They get 60-70k in tuition, my kids applied. Half of the Seattle private school kids either apply or go there. It's a very attractive place for students. The ad has nothing to do with recruiting or hoops in general. They may be able to parlay it into that but at the end of the day you have to win and we've shown that winning brings kids to a place where the weather is far worse than Santa Clara.

As wiszag said, "as soon as they translate it into success on the court, I'll be impressed".

Quote Originally Posted by wiszag View Post
    Same. In the immediate future it won't save Santa Clara from the two beat downs Gonzaga is gonna hand them this season. Game on indeed.

Bummer our students wont be there for the home game on 1/5 -- would love to have a few of these newspaper ads available to show SCU how much we appreciate them supporting our local newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by wiszag View Post
    The foundation for winning consistently at the college level requires the following:

1. Institutional support. On here it's often overstated how impactful the NCAA Tourney dollars should have for all these WCC athletic departments, but those dollars don't mean much if the Board of Trustees don't prioritize or care much for athletics. That's what drives an athletic department ship. There's not a single WCC athletic department that doesn't put the vast majority of their eggs in the basketball basket, but if the institutional support is nil, it's not going to matter.

2. Department and coaching vision and leadership that fosters a winning culture. What Gonzaga has become is remarkable, and all the more impressive knowing that it's similar to the vision Dan Fitzgerald had of the school and program. He was the architect, and his vision began in the 1980's-1990's. It took a ton of time, and a commitment to the vision, all the while adapting along the way. Fitz had the vision, and hired people that shared in and believed in his vision to carry it on and grow it after his departure.

3. Facilities. I think you can make up for this shortcoming if you're really strong at 1 and 2. To some extent I think St. Mary's is an example of this (as much as Randy Bennett is mocked on this board, I think the day he retires at SMC is the day they return to the WCC basement in basketball).

This building alone won't mean immediate or long-term success on the court, but my takeaway is that Santa Clara has institutional support, leadership with a vision, and improved facilities. It improves Santa Clara's chances of maximizing their potential. That, in my opinion, is a good thing for the long-term growth of the league.

If the general sentiment is 'WCC schools aren't trying' then maybe we shouldn't also say 'who cares' when some show they are making the efforts and investments to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Bummer our students wont be there for the home game on 1/5 -- would love to have a few of these newspaper ads available to show SCU how much we appreciate them supporting our local newspaper.
    Don't need the students.

I'm sure the Spokesman would allow print permissions to GU, or might even print a few thousand 11x17 color copies themselves to hand out at the door if they could add the paper's banner at the top.

Better yet, how about a few thousand Ts with "Game on" across the chest? There must be a sponser for that out there somewhere.

The WCC needs more of this....

Go ZAGS!

I'm really confused by this approach? What were they hoping to accomplish? Are they thinking that Mark Few and the basketball team wouldn't notice their new Exhibition Center if they didn't take out an add in the Spokesman Review? Is this supposed to be some sort of "Ha! We showed you!" moment? I just don't get it..

In the end... congratulations? to Santa Clara. Pleased to see they will be building a beautiful facility. This is good for the conference.

Well if it can help then improve, hats off to them!
    Can’t get much worse than getting destroyed at home against prairie view 81-64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

So, this is basically their thank you letter to Coach Few for driving the university to come up with the funding?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Thanks fanatic for getting that up there.

So who are the former student athletes? Steve Nash would be a pretty safe bet. Who(m) might the other be? Frites; insight?

Edit:

Well, I guess if I had been bright enough to open the link that Frites provided above I would have answered my own question.
    Last edited by sittingon50; 11-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thanks fanatic for getting that up there.

So who are the former student athletes? Steve Nash would be a pretty safe bet. Who(m) might the other be? Frites; insight?
    Mary Stevens was a soccer player at SCU and Stephen Schott was a baseball player.

Thank goodness for former athletes stepping up for SCU -- I wonder if they paid for the newspaper advertisement with their donation too.

The part I'm confused about is that it costs $4,000 for that ad. As an advertiser, I know I could do better.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003