Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCU throws down

went back and looked at record....we split the series with Santa Clara the first 5 years in WCC not until 84-85 season did they sweep us.

Two words: Brody Angley

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Two words: Brody Angley
    the lay up king

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    The part I'm confused about is that it costs $4,000 for that ad. As an advertiser, I know I could do better.
    Yeah why would you pay $4,000 to put an ad in the Spokeman's Review when you could pay a recruit or two that money to improve your on court performance!

I would love to see all the universities in the WCC improve their facilities like SCU is trying to. It will only lead to better things for the Zags! But come on putting an ad in our local paper??

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    the lay up king

I think the northwestman was referring to THIS play ...

...... Last year Brody Angley fouled GU's Steven Gray 65 feet from the basket with less than a second remaining. Gray made two free throws and sent the game to overtime where Gonzaga won in two extra sessions.
    http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sport...r-santa-clara/

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...nt-3295762.php

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I didn't want to chime in here yesterday, as I wanted yesterday to be all about positive vibes (i.e. Gonzaga's historic recruiting class ... and FWIW guess what guys ... Gonzaga isn't done).

Today is today though, and I can't tell you how gratifying it was to see Santa Clara beg for attention.

Nelson Mandela once said "Forget the past" but I can't forgot how the folks at Santa Clara looked down their noses at GU when we were trying to leave the Big Sky for the "much better fitting" West Coast Conference. All the hoops (no pun intended) they made Gonzaga jump through (via their influence with the WCC ... located just down the street). Santa Clara was the Big Dog and at first GU had to play their conference games at the Spokane Coliseum as the Kennel wasn't "good enough". Most of the WCC gyms were of a similar stature. Fitz had to lie and say K1 held 4,000 seats to finally get our games played there (it held 2,852 ... I know ... I counted them one by one)

There have been eyerolls and subtle (and not so subtle) jabs at Gonzaga from Santa Clara over the years. As recently as the '07 WCC tourney final at Chiles (GU and SCU sections were adjacent to each other). I clearly recall right after the final buzzer an SCU "oldtimer" coming up to El Voce and I ... poking me in the chest and reading us the riot act that Gonzaga STILL didn't "belong" in the WCC and that we'd lose our first game in the dance (he WAS correct about that).

Maybe some day I'll be able to heed Madiba's sage advice and "Forget the past" ... that's something I'll work on this year.

But I'll tell you one thing ... I am flat out loving that 0.049% winning percentage against Gonzaga over their last 41 games (thanks Blanchette for the tidbit on their 2-39 recent record against Gonzaga).

And I DO have to think about how things have changed (i.e. SCU placing ads in Spokane and Seattle). Perhaps forgiveness of their previous actions/attitudes will come even earlier than I'm expecting. GoZags
    Wow. That's some long term angst you've held onto. I have a hard time remembering who crossed me yesterday.

The ad was Fun. Maybe more indicative of their current administration and mindset?

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Mark Few called out the WCC.

First the WCC responded at the league level, changing policy.

Then the individual teams within the WCC responded. You can tell by some excellent recent coaching hires. You can tell by the WCC moving up in league rankings, now in a position to challenge the AAC while zooming past the MWC. And now these individual institutions are investing in infrastructure. The next step is to create a consistent multi-bid conference. Everyone wins.

I would call Mark Few's move a blazing success. The WCC is becoming a decent home worth staying at.
    Mick, I agree.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

I love it-----a little sauce in the WCC soup-----raise the bar

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Dixie I have seen you apologize for your "alleged lack of expertise" many times, but this post above shows maturity, sensible evaluation of the SCU ad and how reasonable people ought to approach such issues. Thank you for your contributions to this BOARD which often times seems sophomoric to me with young people "going off" for no reason but partisan mush. Yes I'm an old fart who still remembers Burgess but I'm not myoptic either and see value in your posts. Hope others do too.
    This was very nice of you.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I didn't want to chime in here yesterday, as I wanted yesterday to be all about positive vibes (i.e. Gonzaga's historic recruiting class ... and FWIW guess what guys ... Gonzaga isn't done).

Today is today though, and I can't tell you how gratifying it was to see Santa Clara beg for attention.

Nelson Mandela once said "Forget the past" but I can't forgot how the folks at Santa Clara looked down their noses at GU when we were trying to leave the Big Sky for the "much better fitting" West Coast Conference. All the hoops (no pun intended) they made Gonzaga jump through (via their influence with the WCC ... located just down the street). Santa Clara was the Big Dog and at first GU had to play their conference games at the Spokane Coliseum as the Kennel wasn't "good enough". Most of the WCC gyms were of a similar stature. Fitz had to lie and say K1 held 4,000 seats to finally get our games played there (it held 2,852 ... I know ... I counted them one by one)

There have been eyerolls and subtle (and not so subtle) jabs at Gonzaga from Santa Clara over the years. As recently as the '07 WCC tourney final at Chiles (GU and SCU sections were adjacent to each other). I clearly recall right after the final buzzer an SCU "oldtimer" coming up to El Voce and I ... poking me in the chest and reading us the riot act that Gonzaga STILL didn't "belong" in the WCC and that we'd lose our first game in the dance (he WAS correct about that).

Maybe some day I'll be able to heed Madiba's sage advice and "Forget the past" ... that's something I'll work on this year.

But I'll tell you one thing ... I am flat out loving that 0.049% winning percentage against Gonzaga over their last 41 games (thanks Blanchette for the tidbit on their 2-39 recent record against Gonzaga).

And I DO have to think about how things have changed (i.e. SCU placing ads in Spokane and Seattle). Perhaps forgiveness of their previous actions/attitudes will come even earlier than I'm expecting. GoZags
    Bygones...

Except for Travis Niesen. Can't stand that guy. Loved when Ronny pushed him and he flew/flailed 15 feet backwards.

Oh, and Ham Sandwich. Him too. But, you should 'Forget the past' with the rest.

GAME ON? Really? The full-page ad is way over the top, IMO. Come January 5th when the Broncos swagger into McCarthey, perhaps Coach Few "forgets" to pull our starters and leaves them in a few minutes longer than necessary, just to be sure. Could be another 120 point night for the Zags. Ad or no ad, I would love to see a major beatdown of the Broncos.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

[QUOTE=GoZags;1406997]I think the northwestman was referring to THIS play ...

I was just thinking of that! You can re-watch that incredibly bone-headed play here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

Fouled him with 0.3 seconds left on the wrong side of the court to let Gray send it to overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I was just thinking of that! You can re-watch that incredibly bone-headed play here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

Fouled him with 0.3 seconds left on the wrong side of the court to let Gray send it to overtime.
    yeah, "stephen green" was really clutch.

These guys o-2, got hammered by Prairie View A&M. What a joke of a program.

As a former resident of Santa Clara, CA, a frequent visitor to the campus and student there for a short time, I do root for Santa Clara in games not involving Gonzaga. I don't know why Herb Sendek can't get things on track there? It doesn't appear to be from a lack of resources. There is a solid tradition. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    As a former resident of Santa Clara, CA, a frequent visitor to the campus and student there for a short time, I do root for Santa Clara in games not involving Gonzaga. I don't know why Herb Sendek can't get things on track there? It doesn't appear to be from a lack of resources. There is a solid tradition. What gives?
    Is Herb a ROADie...Retired On Active Duty?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm curious what Coach Sendek's compensation is and how that might compare with Coach Few. Is that information somewhere in the public domain?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Well he can sure afford to retire...he is about the same age as Mark and has had a very good career with high level programs and won numerous awards...nice area to retire if you have the money...

Three years ago the SCU president commissioned a report on the state of athletics, which concluded that a proper investment in athletics which had been neglected for many years could help enhance the reputation of the university, and as a result of that report they made key hires and made big increases in athletic department budgets for a new Athletic Director, team budgets, and new coaches in basketball. I assume that means Herb didn't come for cheap.

My observation, being similar to Former1dog, living in the Bay Area and cheering for SCU when they don't play the Zags, Herb inherited a dumpster fire created by Keating and apathetic leadership (prior to the commission), but then he proceeded to whiff on recruits two straight years. He got nobody in his first two years. I'm fairly certain only one player he got in his first two years is still on the team. I watched last night's game against Irvine, and my takeaway was the freshman look like something Herb can work with, which is a first in the last three years, but it seems like this is the type of roster he should have had his first year, and at this point we would be able to see measurable improvement like USF has made in the same time. If the class sticks, they'll develop in a couple of years, but if they leave or don't develop like the first two classes, I think the ROADIE question might be on point.

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    Three years ago the SCU president commissioned a report on the state of athletics, which concluded that a proper investment in athletics which had been neglected for many years could help enhance the reputation of the university, and as a result of that report they made key hires and made big increases in athletic department budgets for a new Athletic Director, team budgets, and new coaches in basketball. I assume that means Herb didn't come for cheap.

My observation, being similar to Former1dog, living in the Bay Area and cheering for SCU when they don't play the Zags, Herb inherited a dumpster fire created by Keating and apathetic leadership (prior to the commission), but then he proceeded to whiff on recruits two straight years. He got nobody in his first two years. I'm fairly certain only one player he got in his first two years is still on the team. I watched last night's game against Irvine, and my takeaway was the freshman look like something Herb can work with, which is a first in the last three years, but it seems like this is the type of roster he should have had his first year, and at this point we would be able to see measurable improvement like USF has made in the same time. If the class sticks, they'll develop in a couple of years, but if they leave or don't develop like the first two classes, I think the ROADIE question might be on point.
    Thanks for your observations. I thought Sendek was a good hire, too, but there are a lot of retreads out there in the coaching ranks. I also wonder if the school has been seeking out its former stars, to create more of a family atmosphere. The concept of family at Gonzaga is an underpinning of the program, from John Stockton on up. The stories I hear of informal "alumni games" make me wish I lived closer to Spokane. I saw a bit of that during our trip two summers ago.

Thanks for your observations. I thought Sendek was a good hire, too, but there are a lot of retreads out there in the coaching ranks. I also wonder if the school has been seeking out its former stars, to create more of a family atmosphere. The concept of family at Gonzaga is an underpinning of the program, from John Stockton on up. The stories I hear of informal "alumni games" make me wish I lived closer to Spokane. I saw a bit of that during our trip two summers ago.
    On the point of family and tradition, they wisely named the two practice courts in this new building after their two most successful basketball coaches, Dick Davey and Carroll Williams. They had also inducted Steve Nash and the entirety of the 1993 and 1996 team into the SCU Hall of Fame two years ago. Rather than just honoring Nash, they had the entire teams back for a ceremony. Gonzaga and its alumni games and community are truly special, and I think a necessary part of a successful program. That's why the way the prior administration handled Davey set them back for years - it damaged that alumni support. I think that entire team induction was a way to re-connect with the old alums who probably didn't care for how they handled their old coach. Naming the practice courts after Davey and Williams shows me that the new administration understands that.

Sendek might figure this out, but it's a very tall order. Personally I hope he still has his heart in it.

I think the loss of Asst. Julius Hodge (as well as some players & recruits he pulled from back east?) also set the program back. Frites, thoughts?

Watched Sendek's interview @ WCC Media Day & got the impression that he was still "engaged." And I already respected his coaching ability. Hopefully he gets it going in the not too distant future. This looks like it's going to be a pretty rough year however.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I think the loss of Asst. Julius Hodge (as well as some players & recruits he pulled from back east?) also set the program back. Frites, thoughts?

Watched Sendek's interview @ WCC Media Day & got the impression that he was still "engaged." And I already respected his coaching ability. Hopefully he gets it going in the not too distant future. This looks like it's going to be a pretty rough year however.
    I think Sendek took a chance on Hodge because they have a good relationship, and he wanted to give him a shot. I'm not sure Julius had coached prior to this position he had at SCU. He gave him a shot at coaching, and after a couple of years had decided it wasn't really working. One recruit, a guard from New York who attended the same high school Hodge had gone to, backed out of his commitment following his departure, but they used that open scholarship to pick up a transfer from Wake Forest so it wasn't a total bust. The coaches he has hired in the last couple of years have more experience than Hodge had. Julius is now an assistant at San Jose State.

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    I think Sendek took a chance on Hodge because they have a good relationship, and he wanted to give him a shot. I'm not sure Julius had coached prior to this position he had at SCU. He gave him a shot at coaching, and after a couple of years had decided it wasn't really working. One recruit, a guard from New York who attended the same high school Hodge had gone to, backed out of his commitment following his departure, but they used that open scholarship to pick up a transfer from Wake Forest so it wasn't a total bust. The coaches he has hired in the last couple of years have more experience than Hodge had. Julius is now an assistant at San Jose State.

Has the SCU attempted to bring back the core of their #2 ranked team back in 1968-69 - Bud and Ralph Ogden, Kevin Eagleson, Terry O'Brien and Dennis Awtrey?

I remember watching this team on Saturdays with Dick Enberg as the color-man...they were an excellent...only two loses: @ San Jose State and UCLA in Regional Finals...finished 27-2...