Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're Baaaaack.................

Default They're Baaaaack.................

Surprised that no one has started the annual thread about the Gleesome Threesome doing the TV announcing and color commentary. This year DD and Big Sexy aren't even trying to hide when they are making fun of Heister, it even bordered on malicious a few times each game.

I happen to like the local flavor that Heister brings to the broadcast, and the GU historical perspective of DD and Fox are welcome as well. It's all a bit amateurish but still fits well IMHO.

Just don't ever bring Ehlo back!!

Go ZAGS

3d rate broadcast crew for a top 10 program. Makes no sense, particularly since the radio crew is first rate. Heister is a buffoon, Fox grates and DD, well enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Surprised that no one has started the annual thread about the Gleesome Threesome doing the TV announcing and color commentary. This year DD and Big Sexy aren't even trying to hide when they are making fun of Heister, it even bordered on malicious a few times each game.

I happen to like the local flavor that Heister brings to the broadcast, and the GU historical perspective of DD and Fox are welcome as well. It's all a bit amateurish but still fits well IMHO.

Just don't ever bring Ehlo back!!

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    3d rate broadcast crew for a top 10 program. Makes no sense, particularly since the radio crew is first rate. Heister is a buffoon, Fox grates and DD, well enough said.
    Completely agree about the radio crew, maybe it's the yin and yang of the whole thing.

Heister is even more hilarious when interacting with Coach on the Mark Few Show. Heister loves the spotlight and Coach avoids it like a vampire does the sunlight. However, Heister's interviews with the players are pretty well done, me thinks.

Go ZAGS

I like what Dan said when Heister tried to make an off topic joke. Dan said " know you audience Greg" I agree stick to relevant basketball that's being played. Also last year Dan said that Cory Krispert was the best shooter on the team.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

I actually thought the broadcast was noticeably better.

"Better" being an important qualifier.

But, nothing in it stood out as particularly bad. I thought it was fine.

Jazz, unfortunately, as you know, the qualify of the program itself has nothing to do with market size and how much the station can pay. The GU TV gig is not even these guy's 2nd job.

I also think the broadcast would be better with a 2 man team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

All three mispronounce Petrusev and Ayayi.

The correct pronunciation can be found in the Gonzaga Basketball Quick Facts PDF.

https://gozags.com/documents/2018/10/8/Quick_Facts.pdf
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post

The correct pronunciation can be found in the Gonzaga Basketball Quick Facts PDF.

That kills me. A professional play-by-play commentator has to be able to pronounce the names of the players of his team. He struggles with the pronunciations every time he tries saying their names.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Jazz, unfortunately, as you know, the qualify of the program itself has nothing to do with market size and how much the station can pay.
    Alas.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Worse, they often mock players names and project blame for their mispronouncing them on to the name itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    That kills me. A professional play-by-play commentator has to be able to pronounce the names of the players of his team. He struggles with the pronunciations every time he tries saying their names.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I like em.
    I miss Mike Hart

I think they're better than the bottom two-thirds of ESPN announcers (I'm looking at Beth), and frankly better than a lot of regional announcers I've heard from other games.

Besides. how can you pass on the amazing hairpiece on Heister's head? Like Korno's beard, I think it needs its own twitter account. I'd follow Heister's Hairpiece.

I use to "hate" Heister but he has grown on me and I like the take from DD as a guard and Fox as a front court person...yes, Heister does make a mistake now and again...BUT I find that crew better than most on the WCC circuit. These three know the players (maybe not how to pronounce them) and it appears the staff/GU don't have any big concerns or they would have pushed to replace them. They are homers but objectively so IMO...

Heister loves his Zags and Few. Yes he's an Aw Shucks kind of guy at times, makes some ridiculous statements occasionally but I like him. Dan is a basketball guy but frankly lacks a radio voice. His analysis is insightful at times and makes us a tad smarter on the game. The big Fox is top drawer. No complaints. If I were an opponent fan in another part of the country and listened to them I would hate them. Homers! There is volume control you know
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

My favorite announcer is Ammo on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I think Heister owes Ayayi a public apology! (Wink-wink-sarcasm)
    I need to pray for patience.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

I dunno, maybe it's just me but we've had wayyy worse in the last 10 years and I'm not overly annoyed at all right now. Hell, every time Matt Santangelo mispronounced Gonzaga I died a little inside.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I have to agree. There are some tough WCC announcers. So, The three amigos have grown on me and I appreciate them more.

I still remember when Heister said only “... and it’s gooood!!!” with varying levels of enthusiasm throughout an entire game. He’s come a long way. Love him.

I also like what they are doing and they are a lot better than previous years. Also they are better than the lower tier of ESPN and Fox

Heister is a hack. The broadcasts are an embarrassment for a perennial top team in the country. The sound engineering for the pre and post game is just as abysmal. Sounds like they share one microphone and are broadcasting from an echoing bathroom. I’m continually amazed that GU allows it.

From the pdf .....

Gonzaga: Gone-ZAG-uh (Zag rhymes with “bag”)
    JOEL AYAYI: JOE-el EYE-yigh (rhymes with sigh)-YEE
    RUI HACHIMURA: ROO-ee HATCH-ee-MURR-uh
    FILIP PETRUSEV: PHIL-lip PET-true-SEV (like rev)

I like the three. Yeah, Heister can be goofy but - I'd just as soon have 3 from the Spokane area than any announcers that don't know the Zags well.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

All opinions aside regarding whether or not one likes their personalities and on-air schtick, failing to properly pronounce the names of these Zags is RIDICULOUS and embarrassing. Coach Few and staff have urgent matters to attend to, but I'm not sure any of them should be considered more important than insisting the TV announcers for your team pronounce your players' names correctly.

Heister and Dickau bother me less than they have in the past, Fox is fine......please just spare us an Dan Dakich called games this season!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    From the pdf .....

Gonzaga: Gone-ZAG-uh (Zag rhymes with “bag”)
    JOEL AYAYI: JOE-el EYE-yigh (rhymes with sigh)-YEE
    RUI HACHIMURA: ROO-ee HATCH-ee-MURR-uh
    FILIP PETRUSEV: PHIL-lip PET-true-SEV (like rev)

I like the three. Yeah, Heister can be goofy but - I'd just as soon have 3 from the Spokane area than any announcers that don't know the Zags well.
    It's my understanding that the correct pronunciation for Rui's last name is Ha-CHEE-murr-uh.

say it every year...we need roster audio enunciation like NDSU. Push the little green Mic icon next to name. The Name Engine

https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

I've learned to have a beer or three and just enjoy it. It's like some avant garde experiment with a good basketball team playing in the background. Even in the world of basketball fandom, I've found more important things to worry about.