• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacomaZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

They're Baaaaack.................

Surprised that no one has started the annual thread about the Gleesome Threesome doing the TV announcing and color commentary. This year DD and Big Sexy aren't even trying to hide when they are making fun of Heister, it even bordered on malicious a few times each game.

I happen to like the local flavor that Heister brings to the broadcast, and the GU historical perspective of DD and Fox are welcome as well. It's all a bit amateurish but still fits well IMHO.

Just don't ever bring Ehlo back!!

Go ZAGS
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

3d rate broadcast crew for a top 10 program. Makes no sense, particularly since the radio crew is first rate. Heister is a buffoon, Fox grates and DD, well enough said.

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Surprised that no one has started the annual thread about the Gleesome Threesome doing the TV announcing and color commentary. This year DD and Big Sexy aren't even trying to hide when they are making fun of Heister, it even bordered on malicious a few times each game.

I happen to like the local flavor that Heister brings to the broadcast, and the GU historical perspective of DD and Fox are welcome as well. It's all a bit amateurish but still fits well IMHO.

Just don't ever bring Ehlo back!!

Go ZAGS

Comment

• TacomaZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      3d rate broadcast crew for a top 10 program. Makes no sense, particularly since the radio crew is first rate. Heister is a buffoon, Fox grates and DD, well enough said.
      Completely agree about the radio crew, maybe it's the yin and yang of the whole thing.

Heister is even more hilarious when interacting with Coach on the Mark Few Show. Heister loves the spotlight and Coach avoids it like a vampire does the sunlight. However, Heister's interviews with the players are pretty well done, me thinks.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• zag buddy
        Banned
        • Dec 2007

I like what Dan said when Heister tried to make an off topic joke. Dan said " know you audience Greg" I agree stick to relevant basketball that's being played. Also last year Dan said that Cory Krispert was the best shooter on the team.

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

I actually thought the broadcast was noticeably better.

"Better" being an important qualifier.

But, nothing in it stood out as particularly bad. I thought it was fine.

Jazz, unfortunately, as you know, the qualify of the program itself has nothing to do with market size and how much the station can pay. The GU TV gig is not even these guy's 2nd job.

I also think the broadcast would be better with a 2 man team.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mantua
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

All three mispronounce Petrusev and Ayayi.

The correct pronunciation can be found in the Gonzaga Basketball Quick Facts PDF.

Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
              All three mispronounce Petrusev and Ayayi.

The correct pronunciation can be found in the Gonzaga Basketball Quick Facts PDF.

https://gozags.com/documents/2018/10/8/Quick_Facts.pdf
              That kills me. A professional play-by-play commentator has to be able to pronounce the names of the players of his team. He struggles with the pronunciations every time he tries saying their names.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• gueastcoast
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                Jazz, unfortunately, as you know, the qualify of the program itself has nothing to do with market size and how much the station can pay.
                Alas.
                Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Worse, they often mock players names and project blame for their mispronouncing them on to the name itself.

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                  That kills me. A professional play-by-play commentator has to be able to pronounce the names of the players of his team. He struggles with the pronunciations every time he tries saying their names.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

• MickMick
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

I like em.
                    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Bulldoginseattle
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Oct 2017

I think they're better than the bottom two-thirds of ESPN announcers (I'm looking at Beth), and frankly better than a lot of regional announcers I've heard from other games.

Besides. how can you pass on the amazing hairpiece on Heister's head? Like Korno's beard, I think it needs its own twitter account. I'd follow Heister's Hairpiece.

Comment

• Bogozags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

I use to "hate" Heister but he has grown on me and I like the take from DD as a guard and Fox as a front court person...yes, Heister does make a mistake now and again...BUT I find that crew better than most on the WCC circuit. These three know the players (maybe not how to pronounce them) and it appears the staff/GU don't have any big concerns or they would have pushed to replace them. They are homers but objectively so IMO...

Comment

• GrizZAG
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2009

Heister loves his Zags and Few. Yes he's an Aw Shucks kind of guy at times, makes some ridiculous statements occasionally but I like him. Dan is a basketball guy but frankly lacks a radio voice. His analysis is insightful at times and makes us a tad smarter on the game. The big Fox is top drawer. No complaints. If I were an opponent fan in another part of the country and listened to them I would hate them. Homers! There is volume control you know
                          One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• GU69
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

My favorite announcer is Ammo on the radio.

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ProVeeZag
                              I think Heister owes Ayayi a public apology! (Wink-wink-sarcasm)
                              I need to pray for patience.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X