Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Texas A&M - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Texas A&M - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quality of the opponent going up on this one. Big 12 team playing in the Kennel.

What are you expecting? What do you hope or want to see? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

97-65 Zags
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

A&M in the SEC these days.

A game we should win by 15-20 pts. They lost a ton last season, 3 NBA guys.

Definitely improved competition/strength/athleticism overall.

They have (3) good and sizable guards. Their SG is 6'7", and averaging a dbl-dbl. They have a couple forwards with size.

5 guys who average dbl digits, and a couple electric wings. I am nervous about who Corey Kispert will defend, as both their small forwards are long, athletic, and slashing types.

A&M not a very good shooting team, so some zone could be interesting. Their guards and forwards like to slash, dash, and drive. Their frontcourt is pretty strong, not overly skilled, but experienced.

Will present a nice challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    A&M in the SEC these days.

A game we should win by 15-20 pts. They lost a ton last season, 3 NBA guys.

Definitely improved competition/strength/athleticism overall.

They have (3) good and sizable guards. Their SG is 6'7", and averaging a dbl-dbl. They have a couple forwards with size.

5 guys who average dbl digits, and a couple electric wings. I am nervous about who Corey Kispert will defend, as both their small forwards are long, athletic, and slashing types.

A&M not a very good shooting team, so some zone could be interesting. Their guards and forwards like to slash, dash, and drive. Their frontcourt is pretty strong, not overly skilled, but experienced.

Will present a nice challenge.

Doh! That's what I get for going off the top of my head.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

A solid, fundamentally sound game and a 15 point win.

Zags 96

A&M 78

Clarke 17

My youngest son was born in a Texas A&M teaching hospital and has adopted Texas A&M as his favorite sports team even though he left Texas before his first birthday and has no memories of the place. He’ll probably cheer for A&M.

I’m hoping that his team will lose. 88-64 Zags.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    My youngest son was born in a Texas A&M teaching hospital and has adopted Texas A&M as his favorite sports team even though he left Texas before his first birthday and has no memories of the place. He’ll probably cheer for A&M.

I’m hoping that his team will lose. 88-64 Zags.
    Big D's teacher is an Aggie...trash talk began last week. Looking for Aggie tears in a few days.

Zags 98, Aggies 72

Zags 101-71

Go!! Zags!!!

Zags 93
    Aggies 69
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

ZAGGIES 103
    AGGIES 76

Josh Perkins posts another double-double in points and assists.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Zags 98
    Aggs 73

I want Rui to formally introduce himself to the nation - again, and I want 3 treys from Perkins.

And I want the Zags to wave to their new commit at home in Texas, Drew Timme when it is all over.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

GU - 100 - 67

99-66 zags win in OT

Zags 87-68

zags 98-67

89-75 Zags.

Zags 96

Aggies 74
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Us. 92
    Them 74

Zags win 94-74

A young team that likes to throw up a lot of three's. They havn't been going in at home. They must have faith in them because they throw so many up. If those shots start seeing the net we may be in trouble. They know how to draw fouls. However, If we play like a team and play decent defense then I see at least a 25 point win. But if those wild three's go in at a crazy rate then we may be challenged. I see TA&M getting frustrated and getting overly physical to disrupt the game and slow it down. It won't work.

Our first game under 100. But still high # of possessions.

Zags 93
    Aggies 72

AFN is not showing it here in Kuwait... not happy.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Zags 100
    A&M 75

What I want to see is Killian & Rui combining for over 50 points.

Waking up ..... I’ll just go for 7 Zags scoring in double digits. I’ll also go for Perks getting another double digit assist performance.
    With the Zags averaging well over 100/game for the first 3 games played ..... that’s a lot of firepower - especially without Tillie. I’d really like to see A&M with fewer than 70 due to better Zag D.

With Norvell’s penchant for good play against good competition I expect him to top the Zags in scoring. We’re in town after some trips to CA & CO and get to go to Thursday’s game. Can’t wait to see the action in the Kennel

Zags 95
    A&M 68

Howdy guys, looking forward to this home and home series. My wife grew up a Gonzaga fan, watching the Zags with her grandpa – so that’s long been her go-to basketball team. We both graduated from A&M, so Gonzaga is #2 for her nowadays. There’s no question who we will be rooting for.

First off, Texas A&M joined the SEC in 2012. Suggesting that A&M is still in the Big 12 is deeply offensive to a lot of Aggies. It was a very nasty break up and it’s still a touchy subject. Insult their mother or religion – just don’t align them with those Big 12 schools.

A little bit about the program: Many Aggie Basketball fans have been pining for a new coach for a number of years. They just don’t feel Billy Kennedy has accomplished as much as he could have. He preaches a quick pace, guard-centric style of basketball, but he’s not been able to develop the guard-play that we’ve been hoping for. In previous years, A&M was blessed with athletic big men, but the guard play has been suspect. Most years, a senior transfer has been enough to patch the position. Last season, we really relied on some NBA quality big men to propel us to the tournament.

In the offseason, we lost 74% of our scoring. Our best returning player, Admon Gilder, has not suited up yet this season, which is another 16% of 2017-2018 points. Gilder is the leader of this team and it doesn’t sound like he’ll be back soon. That’s a tough blow as he boosts the team, but is also a lynchpin in a struggling guard unit. Wendell Mitchell is a newcomer that was expected to start – he’s been sitting out as well and I’m not sure how close he is to returning.

Guardplay is going to be the critical element again this season. #2 TJ Starks developed through the season and stepped up in some big games in conference play. However, he tends to be hot and cold. He also looks to take the big shots – even when it’s a low percentage shot. #12 Chris Collins is a former walk-on who has logged a lot more minutes than he was expected to through his career at A&M. He’s the kind of guy you want in your locker room, though probably not the first choice to be in your starting lineup. He’s back in our starting line-up. Collins knows the fundamentals and he shoots lights out in practice. This team honestly can shoot, but when the lights have come on, the shots haven’t been falling. I think the low 3P% is a lark, that number will come up.

Jay Jay Chandler and Savion Flagg round out the guards that should start. We’ll put a small lineup on the court and (hopefully) try to run. Both of these guys are smart and dependable players. I like watching these two guys play because they practice fundamentals. This may be one of the most intelligent teams Kennedy has coached, but it’s still a very raw team. Flagg is a stretch player and you’ll see him in multiple roles as needed, but he’ll come out in the 4 spot. Playing a 4 man out offense gives us a lot of 3 point looks, but as I mentioned – those shots aren’t falling. Yet.

We’re still feeling out some of our big men – a lot of new faces here. Christian Mekowulu is a senior transfer who won the 5 spot on the starting lineup. That position is still a battle, so we may see Walker, Nebo or Jasey starting there as the season progresses. Nebo (another transfer) has the highest FG% on the team simply because he takes high percentage shots (dunks) – he’s a crowd pleaser in Reed Arena. John Walker (redshirt freshman) has a ton of potential – great story too – he needs to add some pounds, but he’s intelligent and his motor is off the charts.

In all, there’s some potential to be developed, but I’m not counting on that coming together on the road against Gonzaga. I’m hesitant to even suggest y’all will be playing against an NCAA Tournament team Thursday night. I think it’s fair to expect a 25 point win for the Zags.