Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrusev — How good can he be?

Default Petrusev — How good can he be?

For the more expert analysts on the board, how good do you think Petrusev can become? I’m very impressed and think he might become special.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    For the more expert analysts on the board, how good do you think Petrusev can become? I’m very impressed and think he might become special.
    Tyra, I’m starting to worry about a Kentucky style exodus in late spring. Both Clarke and Petrusev are fitting in quickly. I was so happy to see the defense get started tonight. Players were communicating and everyone is looking more comfortable despite all the bandaides. (Band of Brothers?) Petrusev and Ayayi both look like they’re determined to battle when they step on the court. I don’t think I’ve seen Gonzaga play at that speed this early in the season or ever, actually. Josh seems to relish the options that he has with Clarke and Petrusev. At this point the chemistry isn’t all that visible, but the inspiration is contagious.

Feel free to ignore my thoughts. I’m not an expert analyst by any means. I’m a little giddy after seeing such an improvement in the defense against some pretty good Texas Southern players, especially that sky scraping Reed.
    Parlez-vous franηais?

Has a ways to go. Looks like a skilled true freshman.

Shown nice footwork, smart positioning on offense, poor positioning on defense, yet a beautiful looking shot.

Has not shown ability to draw fouls, use his body on put backs, lacks strength, and pretty weak hands (swiped or blocked too easily).

I like his motor, shot selection, footwork, and ability to burn minutes. Must improve strength, not necessarily size, as his hands aren't very strong with the ball.

He has been fooled on defense several times both games, but I see upside, skill, and coachable. He will be a classic/vintage GU post of old.
    Last edited by raise the zag; 11-11-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Skill set is there. Needs to fill out a bit more and start playing D1 level defense. Definitely a 2-3 year player at a minimum. Just too many things that need work
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

But remember Shem's freshman year he had no hops and looked bewildered. Filip may be great if he stays 3 to 4 years.

At GU .... very, very good

I think he looks solid enough that the coaches can improve many of his areas quickly. I think by practicing against players like Clark, Tillie, Rui and the rest will bring him on quicker. He has a nice shot out past the 3, has nice footwork, moves well in the key. And also shots with either hand in the kwy

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Tyra, I see him becoming much more relaxed on the court and playing defence. I think the sky is the limit for him. He, like Sabonis, has excellent foot work and can shoot the three, which Sabonis didn't do well at all his freshman season. He will improve his defence each game. He has a deft touch around the basket so he will be difficult to defend. I think he needs to work on his picks as it appears he releases a bit too early. His rebounding will also improve with the more games he plays. I think he just needs to adjust to the physical aspects of the College game, just as Sabonis had too! The European game is much less physical and more technique oriented. I think the sky is the limit for him and if he continues to improve this season, then he might be tempted to leave after this year; however, being a gambler I would think he stays for two years, which would allow him to add bulk he would need to the next level.

He’s way ahead of most of our bigs in the past. Has some work to do, but he seems so confident and mature. Really nice fit.

Getting some great experience with Tillie recovering ---will pay dividends before the end of the season. The daily practice with our bigs will be huge as they will be the best players he faces in many weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    He’s way ahead of most of our bigs in the past. Has some work to do, but he seems so confident and mature. Really nice fit.
    Agree. Petrusev is confident and calm w the ball. I think the team can and will rely on him more as season progresses.

Zags have some nice players competing against the starters in practice: Jones, Petrusev, Ayayi, Foster offer some good size and athleticism for the key rotation guys to compete against in drills and scrimmages. Having these level players on the squad upping the overall level of competition has a LOT to do with the team’s extraordinary success the past few seasons especially.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Love him. And to critics, come of whom make interesting observation, I ask. "When did the Zags ever have a player so perfect he couldn't improve?" Isn't that what some of the preseason games, and many of the conference games are for?

Far ahead of where Larsen was after 2 gms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Tyra, I see him becoming much more relaxed on the court and playing defence. I think the sky is the limit for him. He, like Sabonis, has excellent foot work and can shoot the three, which Sabonis didn't do well at all his freshman season. He will improve his defence each game. He has a deft touch around the basket so he will be difficult to defend. I think he needs to work on his picks as it appears he releases a bit too early. His rebounding will also improve with the more games he plays. I think he just needs to adjust to the physical aspects of the College game, just as Sabonis had too! The European game is much less physical and more technique oriented. I think the sky is the limit for him and if he continues to improve this season, then he might be tempted to leave after this year; however, being a gambler I would think he stays for two years, which would allow him to add bulk he would need to the next level.
    I seem to remember the opposite for Sabonis. He had to tone down the physicality of his game at first. He was used to playing grown men in pro leagues, picked up a ton of fouls and got frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Love him. And to critics, come of whom make interesting observation, I ask. "When did the Zags ever have a player so perfect he couldn't improve?" Isn't that what some of the preseason games, and many of the conference games are for?
    Don’t think it is criticism per se. Just observations about his game. Don’t get me wrong he’s real good. But he needs work and bulk. I don’t see that as bad. Just shows he has tremendous upside still. He isn’t Shem... but could be in the end... with a 3 pointer in his quiver of arrows
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I seem to remember the opposite for Sabonis. He had to tone down the physicality of his game at first. He was used to playing grown men in pro leagues, picked up a ton of fouls and got frustrated.
    Yes, you are right...he did pick-up early fouls, which took him out of his game. Filip needs to adjust as did DS on defence and get more aggressive on offence.

My favorite part of Petrusev's game is he seems calm. He doesn't get sped up like most freshmen, generally takes his time and makes the right play. Tons of international experience helps. Not super athletic, but smart. A little more muscle so he can hold I ground better on both ends and he will be a great Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    But remember Shem's freshman year he had no hops and looked bewildered. Filip may be great if he stays 3 to 4 years.
    I remember Shem constantly getting the ball stripped as a freshman. Good skill but weak hands.

Personally, I'm not as optimistic as some on here. Skill-wise, I think he is really good and could develop into a great four year player at GU. Physically, he isn't close to where Larsen was and Larsen was coming off a knee injury. He isn't big like Karnowski, or quick like Harris. He's less of a shooter than Wiltjer and he hasn't shown me anything (in HS or in the two games I've seen at GU) that makes me think his rebounding or defense is comparable to Sabonis or JWIII or most of our recent bigs (Collins, Sacre, Olynyk). If I was going to compare him to someone from recent years at GU, I'd go with Sam Dower. And before everyone gets upset with me, there is nothing wrong with being the next Sam Dower. Instead of being a one and done like Collins, or the best defensive post presence we've ever had like Karnowski, or a future NBA-er like Sacre, Sabonis or JWIII, I see a bit more of the 4 year, impact type player the program was built around in the early years. That probably gets him a bunch of money in Europe, but probably doesn't get you to journeyman in the NBA status.

But we are so early in his time at GU that who really knows at this point? Maybe he gets a little more bounce and strength and he develops into a NBA-er. Maybe Timme commits to GU and he ends up as a reserve for at least another season. Lots of skill, limited athletic ability and size potential for the position he'll have to play. It's fun to watch him knock down threes as true freshman big though.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Far ahead of where Larsen was after 2 gms.
    Larsen's 1st 2 games he had 18 points on 6-7 fgs and 6-8 fts with 16 rebs and 4 assists in only 27 min. He was really doing well to start the season last year. Hope he makes it back to the team after dealing with his personal stuff. His game compliments the other posts well. More low post back to the basket, big body on defense type. Good passer. We could use him now and in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I remember Shem constantly getting the ball stripped as a freshman. Good skill but weak hands.
    and the falling down...was scared for the kid getting hurt

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    But we are so early in his time at GU that who really knows at this point? Maybe he gets a little more bounce and strength and he develops into a NBA-er. Maybe Timme commits to GU and he ends up as a reserve for at least another season. Lots of skill, limited athletic ability and size potential for the position he'll have to play. It's fun to watch him knock down threes as true freshman big though.
    Filip's skill set is much different from Timme. Drew's a banger, a rebounding machine with a motor that never stops. Haven't seen much of Filip's passing ability, but I have seen Drew's...and it is exceptional, particularly in passing out of double and triple teams. Playing alongside RJ Barrett last year, I doubt Filip saw very many double teams, let alone triple teams.

They'll both be needed on the court at the same time next year. Let's face it, it's Josh that has me worried...he's been setting up so many highlight reel dunks for Clarke, I'm concerned Brandon will be zooming up the draft rankings.

With a little more muscle, I can actually see Petrusev being comparable to Josh Heytvelt. Which would be fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    With a little more muscle, I can actually see Petrusev being comparable to Josh Heytvelt. Which would be fine by me.
    I like Petrusev, but you lost me here. Heytvelt on another planet athletically (before the 45lb weight gain)

Maybe more a Sean Mallon type yet with a higher ceiling and better build?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Filip's skill set is much different from Timme. Drew's a banger, a rebounding machine with a motor that never stops. Haven't seen much of Filip's passing ability, but I have seen Drew's...and it is exceptional, particularly in passing out of double and triple teams. Playing alongside RJ Barrett last year, I doubt Filip saw very many double teams, let alone triple teams.

They'll both be needed on the court at the same time next year. Let's face it, it's Josh that has me worried...he's been setting up so many highlight reel dunks for Clarke, I'm concerned Brandon will be zooming up the draft rankings.
    Very different skill sets. But Timme plays before Petrusev at one of the two post positions. Then if Tillie (I know people don’t think there is any chance) or Clarke return then Petrusev is coming off the bench again for sure. Factor in Watson at PF and I think it’s fairly likely Petrusev is a Dower type that gets stuck behind two really exceptional front court players. I also like the comparison to Mallon. But who knows? He could blow up in the next game and have me comparing him to Olynyk after the red shirt.