Thread: Kelly Olynyk: What's Up?

Default Kelly Olynyk: What's Up?

In his sixth NBA season (year two of his four year, $50 million contract w the Miami Heat) the 27 year old seems to be either regressing, losing interest, playing injured or just in the doghouse. I have no idea which if any of the above explain his apparent drop-off in production, but the fact his minutes per game are going down in what should be his prime is puzzling to me. Last night he played 13 minutes with zero field goal attempts.

Here are his stats from last five games, which seem to be trending downward: http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/...3/kelly-olynyk

SEASON STATS
    GP MPG FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% RPG APG BLKPG STLPG PFPG TOPG PPG
    2018-19 Regular Season 10 19.3 2.6-5.8 .448 1.1-3.8 .289 1.9-2.4 .792 3.1 2.4 0.5 0.6 2.6 1.2 8.2
    Career 364 21.2 3.7-7.7 .481 1.0-2.8 .368 1.5-1.9 .751 4.9 1.9 0.5 0.7 2.9 1.5 9.8
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I looked last night and couldn't find anything other than this clip on the heat site. Sounds like he is just in a slump. https://www.nba.com/heat/video/kelly...e-sound-181121
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

In Kelly's last two Games with the Heat he has looked much better.

He needs to play 20+ minutes per game for the Heat if they have any chance of winning games.

They want him to shoot 3s if he's open, it opens up so much more if he make them....

https://clutchpoints.com/heat-news-w...int-whisperer/

This is a very complimentary article on Kelly's importance to the Heat and his performance recently: "Miami Heat: The overall dynamic effect of Kelly Olynyk"
    Since being reintegrated into the core rotation of the Miami Heat, Kelly Olynyk has again demonstrated his immense value to the team.

For a decent period of time this season, it was unclear just where the Miami Heat stood with Kelly Olynyk.

Despite the underwhelming performance of the team, it seemed there was no room for the unique package of skills that Olynyk brings to the table. Over the first 20 games of the season, he averaged 8.1 points and 3.4 rebounds in just 17.8 minutes per game, including receiving the dreaded Did Not Play – Coach’s Decision.

This was a far cry from the final 20 games of Olynyk’s first season with the Heat, where the Canadian native averaged 13.5 points, 6.3 rebounds and 4.0 assists in 23.9 minutes per game.

However, with the Heat struggling mightily with a 7-13 record, and with a number of key players sidelined for multiple games, Olynyk again became part of head coach Erik Spoelstra’s plans. Thus far, the results speak for themselves. Over the last nine games, the Have posted a 6-3 record, which featured winning four out of six games during a challenging West Coast road trip.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but Sam Dower is his best friend and Sam's dad just died. I know Kelly and Sam are both very close to each other's family. So sorry for Sam and for Kelly.

Weird situation. He's getting this stat line lately.

K. Olynyk PF DNP-COACH'S DECISION

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Weird situation. He's getting this stat line lately.

K. Olynyk PF DNP-COACH'S DECISION
    A couple things going on - the Heat are semi-struggling coupled with just many healthy bodies right now (had a load of guys hurt last year). They are experimenting with different line-ups and attempting game by game match-ups. All this is causing KOs minute to fluctuate wildly. It is still quite odd to see as KO was really good for the Heat last year. There were a couple line-up couple combinations with KO that were very effective last year yet they have rarely been used this year.
    Add to oddness is that KO really killed the Clippers the last time they played yet gets DNP'd last night and DNP'd vs Boston where you;d expect him to ball out.

Hopefully it all works itself out in his favor.

They sure are paying him a lot of money to be nailed to the bench. Bad situation.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Kelly got some time on court today...(due to an injury of a teammate).

A very efficient 11 points (on 6 shots) and 6 rebounds in 17 minutes...

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071415

When he plays well Miami has a great record..

Olynyk is having himself a night...28 pts on 40 + minutes of PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Another big game for Kelly, 25 pts on 9-13 in blowout of Nets. http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071610

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    Another big game for Kelly, 25 pts on 9-13 in blowout of Nets. http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071610
    From DNP Coaches decision a few weeks ago to the last 4 games averaging 22.25 ppg....as a starter.

I know its because if injuries right now, but even when other players get back KO should remain the starting PF for the rest of the year with Bam as the centre.

Kelly makes the most of another start (and win), leading the Heat in minutes and scoring.

He certainly has his MOJO back hitting 5 of 7 three pointers (He's hitting 61% of them the last 5 games).

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071638

As a long-time Kelly follower it's great to see him on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Kelly makes the most of another start (and win), leading the Heat in minutes and scoring.

He certainly has his MOJO back hitting 5 of 7 three pointers (He's hitting 61% of them the last 5 games).

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071638

As a long-time Kelly follower it's great to see him on a roll.

He is gearing up to lead Canada to a medal at the World Cup this summer.

Kelly featured in this week's Zach Lowe column, at number 3:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...s-paul-swagger
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Just got $1M bonus based on minutes played...must be rough figuring out the tax implications

At this point he could just buy Kamloops....but if you have been a young good looking single NBA multi millionaire in South Beach.....

Kelly O to the Mavs as part of the Butler trade

Marc Stein
    @TheSteinLine
    Replying to
    @TheSteinLine
    and
    @AlbertNahmad
    Miami would get Jimmy Butler, Dallas would get Kelly Olynyk and Derrick Jones Jr. and Philadelphia would get Josh Richardson ... but that trade construction remains (at least) one piece shy

If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Wasn't it Dallas that originally drafted him?

Cuban is a players' owner. Hope Kelly enjoys himself.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Update from CBS:

Heat's Kelly Olynyk: In limbo after sign-and-trade fails
    By RotoWire Staff 1h ago • 1 min read
    UPDATE 1h ago

Olynyk's future is clouded after Sunday's attempt by the Heat to sign-and-trade for Jimmy Butler hit a snag, Marc Stein of the New York Times reports.
    There's apparently some confusion as to which players were involved in the deal, so for the time being Olynyk remains in a holding pattern. Tim Cato of The Athletic reports that the initial deal between Miami and Dallas is off, but it's still very possible that Miami could end up moving Olynyk -- to the Mavs or another team -- in the coming days to facilitate the Butler acquisition.

With Hassan Whiteside being traded I don't think Miami will also move Kelly.

Spo has a soft spot for KO and I was surprised that he was being traded.

Unless they land another experienced big I have to think that KO is still starting beside Bam.

With Kanter and Leonard leaving Portland Collins has a better chance of getting some starts
    Last edited by OZZY; 07-01-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: re read the trade information

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    With Hassan Whiteside being traded I don't think Miami will also move Kelly.

Spo has a soft spot for KO and I was surprised that he was being traded.

Unless they land another experienced big I have to think that KO is still starting beside Bam.

With Kanter and Leonard leaving Portland Collins has a better chance of getting some starts
    Miami reportedly the team OKC is most likely to work a deal w in order to trade CP3 to them. I’ve read both teams and CP3 want to make it happen. Heat will have to unload some big contracts back to OKC to pull it off $ wise. Too lazy to dig deep into current Heat roster to make informed guess about which contracts they would most likely need to move to OKC in order to clear room for CP3, but I’m sure Olynyk’s (2 years remaining on his 4 year $50M signed in 2017) would be high on the list.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Freaking awesome. “The Artifice” with the WWE’s “The Miz”!

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...a-kelly-olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by NontradZag View Post
    Freaking awesome. “The Artifice” with the WWE’s “The Miz”!

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...a-kelly-olynyk

That was funny!