Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Way way waaaaayyyyy OT (and funny) -- Mike Leach on "Mascots"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,526

    Default Way way waaaaayyyyy OT (and funny) -- Mike Leach on "Mascots"

    Will move to the "Sports Talk" board after awhile.

    I've never been a huge Mike Leach fan, but this is (to me) flat out hysterical. Love the deadpan nature of his storytelling. It's a 2 minute clip.

    https://twitter.com/SWXFemi/status/1059617822068760576

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oakdale, CA
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Very laughable and refreshing -- thanks for sharing
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    I like leach when he's speaking about anything except football. he's just a little off in a good way
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,729

    Default

    Tons of good quotes and video re Leach. He's actually a rather complex guy with a very dry sense of humor. Google his Youtube video "On Weddings" for a good albeit somewhat misogynistic clip.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Tons of good quotes and video re Leach. He's actually a rather complex guy with a very dry sense of humor. Google his Youtube video "On Weddings" for a good albeit somewhat misogynistic clip.
    He is a complex guy, deep thinker. I don't agree with many of his positions, but like that he has positions.

    He is loyal to his players to a fault, but it's the fault I prefer coaches miss upon.

    I also respect men who have had a career crisis through their own making and seem to learn from it and improve.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    What’s this career crisis you speak of? Just the facts as you know them will help
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    What’s this career crisis you speak of? Just the facts as you know them will help
    He was accused of being abusive to a player at Texas Tech, and Texas Tech let him go because of it, he was having success on the field.

    In fairness to Leach, he has always denied that he mistreated anyone, and most people understand it is easier to make allegations than to prove them wrong. Obviously I don't know what happened but there was enough "there" to remove him.

    In my mind, everyone gets one, maybe two "re-do's" over life, at least on some things. To me, the key is what they learned.

    https://media.giphy.com/media/eu0aMjtJsD1dK/giphy.gif

    I didn't mean to be cryptic, I thought it was pretty well known.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    He was accused of being abusive to a player at Texas Tech, and Texas Tech let him go because of it, he was having success on the field.

    In fairness to Leach, he has always denied that he mistreated anyone, and most people understand it is easier to make allegations than to prove them wrong. Obviously I don't know what happened but there was enough "there" to remove him.

    In my mind, everyone gets one, maybe two "re-do's" over life, at least on some things. To me, the key is what they learned.

    https://media.giphy.com/media/eu0aMjtJsD1dK/giphy.gif

    I didn't mean to be cryptic, I thought it was pretty well known.
    That player was Craig James' kid and the kid himself said it wasn't true. It was Craig James being a helicopter dad and thinking his kid was better than he was. The real reason that Texas Tech let Leach go is that they didn't want to honor his contract and were looking for anything to get rid of him. That school treated him terribly and lost the guy that made them relevent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,195

    Default

    Never played football but he's a great coach and very funny with a diverse outlook on life in general English lit major is what I think he was. Cougs got a good one. Ho[pe he stays as he surely is piling up accolades.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Never played football but he's a great coach and very funny with a diverse outlook on life in general English lit major is what I think he was. Cougs got a good one. Ho[pe he stays as he surely is piling up accolades.
    BA from BYU and JD from Pepp. and graduated from the American Sports Academy, what ever that is.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    That player was Craig James' kid and the kid himself said it wasn't true. It was Craig James being a helicopter dad and thinking his kid was better than he was. The real reason that Texas Tech let Leach go is that they didn't want to honor his contract and were looking for anything to get rid of him. That school treated him terribly and lost the guy that made them relevent.
    That is the position of the Leach camp. And I had heard that James was a helicopter dad, otoh, he was also one guy who might have had the ability to stand up and say "this is wrong" if something went on.

    I find it impossible to judge from the outside. That's why I wanted to include that Leach had denied everything and continues to. Nevertheless, no one would argue that he hasn't calmed down considerably, one can tell on the sidelines comparing him to TT days.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •