Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Club not full - are these tickets for sale?

Default Kennel Club not full - are these tickets for sale?

I was at the game last night and there were plenty of seats available in and around the Kennel Club.

John Blanchette wrote, "Consider that the Kennel Club weighed in by not filling its allotted sections for, ahem, the first game of Gonzaga’s basketball season."

If these seats aren't bought by students can the public walk up at game time and purchase them?

Don’t think so. Those seats do become available when the student leave home for Christmas break. The turn out was soft last night - lots of unused seats everywhere meaning lots of season ticket holders didn’t show or didn’t sell, and in typical Spokane fashion, folks stated leaving at the 7:30 or so mark.

I'm always a little saddened to see the empty seats when so many of us locals would absolutely love to get a chance to go to games. Oh well...

I certainly wouldn't rule anything out moving forward .....

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I certainly wouldn't rule anything out moving forward .....

What does GoZags know and when did he know it? The same thing goes for the faculty who don't take all of their allotment.

I wish I had that full head of hair.....

Hope these trends -- not showing up, and leaving very early -- are noted by those rating best student fan sections. For years, Gonzaga was rated near the top. As often noted by others on this site who are able to attend games, fan enthusiasm has markedly declined in recent years. The Kennel retains the name, but nothing that made it special. Remarkable lack of appreciation for a team which brought national recognition to GU, and (others have argued persuasively) may have saved the university itself.

Go Zags! Stay home, fans with no interest beyond being seen. Athletic department: consider selling student seats not claimed and occupied 10 minutes before tip-off for all games (perhaps refundable provisional tickets where holders are admitted just before the game). Thousands in Spokane would love to have just the chance to see the Zags. When students don't show, sell the seats, gain revenue, add enthusiasm, and send a message to lethargic student fans. Comments are intentionally scathing where appropriate, and not intended to reflect on those student fans who perpetuate GU's traditions.

Default Kennel Club not full - are these tickets for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Hope these trends -- not showing up, and leaving very early -- are noted by those rating best student fan sections. For years, Gonzaga was rated near the top. As often noted by others on this site who are able to attend games, fan enthusiasm has markedly declined in recent years. The Kennel retains the name, but nothing that made it special. Remarkable lack of appreciation for a team which brought national recognition to GU, and (others have argued persuasively) may have saved the university itself.

Go Zags! Stay home, fans with no interest beyond being seen. Athletic department: consider selling student seats not claimed and occupied 10 minutes before tip-off for all games (perhaps refundable provisional tickets where holders are admitted just before the game). Thousands in Spokane would love to have just the chance to see the Zags. When students don't show, sell the seats, gain revenue, add enthusiasm, and send a message to lethargic student fans. Comments are intentionally scathing where appropriate, and not intended to reflect on those student fans who perpetuate GU's traditions.
    Have to agree, but when the students aren’t there, and other people buy the tickets during the winter break, everyone sits there. That place is quieter than my church. I wonder if the players feel like Maximus in the arena. Are you not entertained?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
    Have to agree, but when the students aren’t there, and other people buy the tickets during the winter break, everyone sits there. That place is quieter than my church. I wonder if the players feel like Maximus in the arena. Are you not entertained?!?
    I want to add to this. Spokane folks are knowledgeable about basketball. Really are. But in the kennel, fans seem to want to watch the game as bystanders. Not really as fans participating in the games to make a difference anymore. The girls get much better fan support even without the large student section. Now, Things really come alive in Vegas. Not sure if people are just cranked to be in Vegas or it’s a different group. JMHO.

I took a picture of the empty seats and there were probably 200+ seats available.

For some reason I can't 'Add Files' in my album when I select Upload Photo, so I couldn't post the picture here. Anyone want to give me a hint how to do this by private message?

Seems this is annual complaint....fans don’t show or if they do they don’t cheer.

Does this happen when BYU or SMC visit? Maybe it’s not the fans but the competition that draws out the competitive spirits.

Cheering during 40 point blowouts as opposing players foul out...not a real feel good moment as alum

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I wish I had that full head of hair.....

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Does Gonzaga use paper tickets or digital tickets?
    Digital tickets really reduces the no show factor (folks staying home and not using tickets). If a season ticket holder isnt going to use his/her tickets they can simply send them via cell phone to a friend,send them to the ticket office to be resold at face value (with holder and U sharing the proceeds), or to third party broker to be sold at a profit

Major sports in Denver area generally dont even use paper tickets anymore and buying a selling tickets is as easy as pressing a button on your phone

They use paper tickets. I'm a seasonticket holder for the women's team but not a bulldog club member this year. Tuesday I got an email encouraging me to cough up the money to become a bulldog club member so I could buy tickets on Wednesday for Idaho State and Texas Southern. This the first year I have received an email like that. I'm guessing they were anticipating a low turnout by the students for these first two games. I have also seen that the Kennel Club is promoting Texas A & M as their first Tent City game. Don't be surprised if tomorrow is a repeat performance attendance wise.

[QUOTE=TheBunnieRancher;1405547 Don't be surprised if tomorrow is a repeat performance attendance wise.[/QUOTE]

Disagree Bunnie. Saturday night + no election (which I know was a pretty big deal to some kids concerned about their future).

The exhibition game vs CWU (on a Thursday) was jammed.

Guess we'll know in about 29 hrs.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I can count the number of games in the kennel I've been to on one hand. Sittingon50, you would have a much better handle on these things than me. I'm just reading tea leaves between twitter and email.

You could just as well be right, Bunnie. Only a guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Disagree Bunnie. Saturday night + no election (which I know was a pretty big deal to some kids concerned about their future).

The exhibition game vs CWU (on a Thursday) was jammed.

Guess we'll know in about 29 hrs.
    Speaking to a sophomore who is a rabid bball fan and did attend the game---she said she went alone because all of her close friends/roommates stayed home to watch the election results. Anecdotal, but certainly one legit reason for low turnout. Agree, tomorrow will be a different tell. No excuses not to pack the house for a Sat 7:00 p.m. game.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

My understanding is there was a change this year with the way the Kennel club issues the tickets -- from single games in the past to groups of games now-- maybe someone from the kennel club can explain the new distribution process.

Kennel Club was out in force Sat. Nite & did a fine job.

Default Kennel club

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Kennel Club was out in force Sat. Nite & did a fine job.
    Kennel club has not been full this year yet-first game was terrible. Last game more students but still not full.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    Kennel club has not been full this year yet-first game was terrible. Last game more students but still not full.
    It was about 98% full.

I have read here previously that the KClub at times looks to have empty seats at the top of the section because members are packed together tighter than normal in the lower more desirable spaces. If it looks like 98% I can easily see uneven distribution to be the reason.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Getting to go to Zags games is fun and we always eagerly look forward to each game - whether we go or not. When at the games we generally stand/cheer for everything the student section does - even if those around us may not. I don't find that all that disconcerting since everyone seems to be both enjoying the game and those who they came with or get to see there. For many season ticket holders they don't get to see the others near them until they go to games. Hence they tend to chat with them a lot and may not look very engaged with the game. Even when we go I record the game at home so I can watch what I've missed. Fans in seats often have sodas, assorted food, jackets/coats, etc. where getting up/down to cheer isn't as easy to do. I hate seeing empty seats at Zags games but sometimes they just happen. We actually got mixed up with those who we share tickets with and did not show up at the November 1 game for which we had tickets. I'm still kicking myself in the arse for that mistake! We had just gotten back a couple days before having been gone for most of October. I feel mainly bummed about it as we could have given the tickets to pals who would have gone if we didn't go. Being somewhat rabid fans on this forum it can also be hard to fathom why there are empty seats at home Zags games. However, I'm always surprised when I watch any college basketball games on TV at just how low attendance is for many teams. GU is fortunate that attendance is pretty darn high at home games. It would be cool if there was an easy and effective way to get seats filled for people who miss games they have tickets for. I suspect that is mostly pretty hard to do and especially on short notice. Besides sharing some season tickets with a season ticket holder we also do the Bulldog Club membership. Getting online 1-3 days before a game to try for tickets at 0900 can be tricky depending on where someone is (access to a computer or smartphone). As yet, I've not gotten an email from GU about any tickets available for the A&M game. I suspect that email will come on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm retired now but when I worked it wasn't all that easy to get online right at 0900 to get tickets. Only when the students are gone does ticket availability go up enough that one can get some online throughout the day that they are available. In rare circumstances a follow up email from GU comes the very next day that some tickets are still available.

When you are ranked the #3 team in the nation and you're playing Idaho State it is hard to generate excitement. I'm sorry but it is. If that means Gonzaga fans are "fair weathered" or "entitled" then so be it. But it's human nature. There's a reason that if Gonzaga plays down at Pacific before playing Saint Mary's people call it a trap game. The same principle applies here. I think people are way too hard on Gonzaga's fans honestly. I was at the game against Texas Southern and the atmosphere was great. Go watch Pacific play Pepperdine in front of 600 people and then see what you think.