• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Bing Crosby's Toluca Lake Homes

Bing Crosby brought his major star power to Toluca Lake for a decade, and his legacy as one of its most prominent residents continues today. We traced the story of the legendary crooner’s two local homes through their past and present inhabitants.

Unfortunately, the Camarillo home is best known for the catastrophe that struck on January 3, 1943. Either Dixie was taking down the Christmas tree or eldest son Gary was playing with its lights when one of the bulbs sparked and set the dry branches aflame; the fire quickly spread up the nearby drapes to the second story. Dixie, the children and the servants managed to escape, although the boys’ spaniel, Timmy, died of smoke inhalation. Bing, reportedly dining at the Brown Derby with Fred Astaire, rushed home and, according to legend, pushed past the firefighters and through the front door to retrieve his golf shoes from the foyer coat closet. Although he was famous as a golfer, his concern wasn’t for the shoes themselves, but rather for the $20,000 to $30,000 in gambling money he kept rolled up in them.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Reno,

This was such a great article, THANK YOU for posting it! I wonder how many other posters even know it exists!

By the way, I hope all is going well with you...the wife and I envy you living in Reno...wanted to buy a house in the Sun City/Del Webb community but in 2006, their prices were just too high for us...

Also have read that there is a "battle" going on between the city and the owner of the strip clubs downtown...very interesting!

Again, THANKS for the article!

Comment

• Birddog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Good story, thanks Reno.
      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
      All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• SCU
        Bulldog Fan
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
        Reno,

This was such a great article, THANK YOU for posting it! I wonder how many other posters even know it exists!

By the way, I hope all is going well with you...the wife and I envy you living in Reno...wanted to buy a house in the Sun City/Del Webb community but in 2006, their prices were just too high for us...

Also have read that there is a "battle" going on between the city and the owner of the strip clubs downtown...very interesting!

Again, THANKS for the article!

You wanna move to Nevada AND you like a Bing Crosby connection?

Just pick this up- https://www.realtor.com/news/celebri...h-bing-crosby/

You'd be a long way from Elko, let alone Reno, but at least you've got your own air strip...!

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Reno, I've not seen this before. Such a beautiful heartwarming set of stories. Thanks so much. Having lived in LA for so many years in training, I can vouch for Taluca Lake as one of those rare places in the LA basic that seems normal, delightful community. Thanks again.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

The last year the Pebble Beach pro-am had Bing’s name on it was 1985. Recently acquired this keepsake of that event:

Sent via mobile device
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
            X