Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Idaho State: post game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I agree. Zags lineup much better suited to match up vs Duke...IF Zags can stay in front of their man, help out when necessary and rotate accordingly. Zion drove by Reid Travis w ease. Rui vs Zion on both ends would be great to see. Long way to go to get there but I am 100% hoping for a Zags vs Duke Maui Championship game.
    Zion vs Rui.....one has 50lbs more muscle and can shoot the 3....still wanna see the matchup.
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Williamson and Barrett will both be all-NBA within a couple of seasons. Either would be #1 picks about 8- 9 out of 10 NBA drafts. They're so freakishly talented that they make Reddish, a headliner anywhere else, look almost obscure.

I watched a tape of the first half, and I didn't think Ky was necessarily bad as some say. But with those two, it looked like when the D1 guy shows up at 24hr Fitness and dominates the 5'10 former hs jv players.

Duke might lose a game this season, but it will take a red hot opponent and a cold night or disinterested effort for Duke to lose to anyone imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Tito, they might be built the same but they don't function the same. ANyone who thinks Idaho State is comparable to Kentucky??? I suppose a few do but I laugh when I think about it.
    GU might be ok with Duke but not now. It'll take a few months and the return of Tillie. We don't have the size to control the boards against a top 10 team with leapers.
    Come March, we'll compete with anyone. Just not this month.
    We get a head to head with Duke in Maui, I'd rather not waste our time. Mail it in.
    I did not say that Kentucky is compatible with Idaho State. What I said was Kentucky gave up, which they did. Look At MSU, Kansas punched them and they kept playing, and while they did not make it all the way back, they kept fighting. Duke did not overpower Kentucky with power post-up players. but overwhelmed them athletic play from their wings. It reminds me of last year when Florida just smacked Stanford at the start of the game and Stanford pretty much gave up and were blown out of the PK-80. Many though that GU was smoked by Florida, but is a the best game of the year and even GU lost, they fought hard.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Or maybe 5 hours time difference and a wild and exciting environment like Maui will help the Dukie players let their guard down a bit (might be reaching just a bit.....but ....you can hope right).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Or maybe 5 hours time difference and a wild and exciting environment like Maui will help the Dukie players let their guard down a bit (might be reaching just a bit.....but ....you can hope right).
    A'la Sampson and the cavalier Cavaliers?

I hope the zags win the first two and get to play Duke - what a great opportunity to see how the boys stack up against elite competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I will watch replay later.
    Just finished watching it again. I thought the defense looked pretty good in many ways. Not perfect but pretty good. 27 points off 15 turnovers. I'd say that's pretty darn good. THIS Zag team can really steal the ball, and get upcourt quickly. Our guards can really rebound. Thank God. Kispert really contributed in this area, and so did Petrusev. IMO Petrusev will help the Zags much more than Larsen would. Sorry to all you fans who really like Larsen. This year Few wants SPEED. He wants players who all play like guards. I"m thinkin about handling the ball and passing, and able to fly up court. I noticed all the good things that Petrusev did, ISU's did not hurt him at all. Petrusvev looked way better to me, and ISU's center I think was a pretty good 7'0".

I didn't see Duke play, but I like how the Zags match up with Duke. Looking forward to Maui.

The thing that excites me about Tillie. He is as good as or maybe better than most of our bigs. I really like Tillie, but in some ways the Zags will be much better when he returns. Clarke and Petrusev are going to get a lot of playing time to improve. Kispert is another guy who is just all around fantastic. A little slow on D but he did a pretty good job, especially when he was playing down low and guarding a guard. He will be in that position when the Zags are running a 4 guard offense. And he's one of our best rebounders. I have not seen any team with this much cohesion at the beginning of the of the year than this version of the Zags. I'm impressed, and I'm not sorry that I am. ha ha ha ha ha hahaha

Go Zags.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Gonzaga has made hay in the early non-conference with teams that are less talented than their opponents by being more prepared and playing as a team. The sum is larger than its parts when the effort and preparation are there. The Zags have the ability to jump on an inexperienced Duke team and this experienced squad is probably looking forward to a Duke matchup and the opportunity it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    The Great Dane
    Super happy about the offense but defense when tested by better competition, we'll need better rim protection. Hope others feel my pain and the remorse that Jakob Larsen isn't playing. He would have helped with Jones.
    Clarke great power forward but defense needs some improvement. Oh, for Karnowski and/or the Bonus. Agree with poster who noted J3's better defense and rebounding. These things will improve and will have to, to be able to compete with the "big boys." So difficult to watch game, keep score because the pace was frenetic. Three points per minute, wow.

Jean Claude's 50 points, school record, may be in danger with Rui this year.

Burgess holds the record at 52...but who is counting....a Burgess fan should know that....

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Williamson and Barrett will both be all-NBA within a couple of seasons. Either would be #1 picks about 8- 9 out of 10 NBA drafts. They're so freakishly talented that they make Reddish, a headliner anywhere else, look almost obscure.

I watched a tape of the first half, and I didn't think Ky was necessarily bad as some say. But with those two, it looked like when the D1 guy shows up at 24hr Fitness and dominates the 5'10 former hs jv players.

Duke might lose a game this season, but it will take a red hot opponent and a cold night or disinterested effort for Duke to lose to anyone imo.
    Agree with you. I think the angst here is coming from our upcoming schedule against great competition so quickly.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Just finished watching it again. I thought the defense looked pretty good in many ways. Not perfect but pretty good. 27 points off 15 turnovers. I'd say that's pretty darn good. THIS Zag team can really steal the ball, and get upcourt quickly. Our guards can really rebound. Thank God. Kispert really contributed in this area, and so did Petrusev. IMO Petrusev will help the Zags much more than Larsen would. Sorry to all you fans who really like Larsen. This year Few wants SPEED. He wants players who all play like guards. I"m thinkin about handling the ball and passing, and able to fly up court. I noticed all the good things that Petrusev did, ISU's did not hurt him at all. Petrusvev looked way better to me, and ISU's center I think was a pretty good 7'0".

I didn't see Duke play, but I like how the Zags match up with Duke. Looking forward to Maui.

The thing that excites me about Tillie. He is as good as or maybe better than most of our bigs. I really like Tillie, but in some ways the Zags will be much better when he returns. Clarke and Petrusev are going to get a lot of playing time to improve. Kispert is another guy who is just all around fantastic. A little slow on D but he did a pretty good job, especially when he was playing down low and guarding a guard. He will be in that position when the Zags are running a 4 guard offense. And he's one of our best rebounders. I have not seen any team with this much cohesion at the beginning of the of the year than this version of the Zags. I'm impressed, and I'm not sorry that I am. ha ha ha ha ha hahaha

Go Zags.
    I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them. NOBODY in college basketball matches up with Duke. I thought it would take a while for Coach K to get all those freshmen up to speed. Nope. They fired on all cylinders with at least three, maybe four, NBA ready players. They may have the top two draft picks and probably three in the lottery.

Does that mean the Zags are doomed if they should be so lucky to make the Maui finals? Not necessarily, but it's going to take the Zags playing up to or possibly exceeding their capabilities and the Devils having a down night. They are really good. It will be considered an upset if the Zags win. I'm good with an upset.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Agree with you. I think the angst here is coming from our upcoming schedule against great competition so quickly.
    It would seem like the time to get them would be early, with an experienced team (Kentucky did have Reid as a senior, but the team itself hadn't played much together. So if we can maximize our familiarity with each other and play a perfectly coached game, getting them early seems good. Frosh tend to be up and down at first. Then we just hope that if we meet them very late that we have Tillie back and enough deep shooting to simply outscore them on a hot night.

Just eyeballing it from the clouds, that would be my read.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Well for what it is worth, Sports Illustrated identified the 5 teams with the best chance of beating Duke

Kansas.....Virginia....GONZAGA....someone else....and lastly.... somebody else....

I really don't care who wins...I really want to see them play....twice...

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

agree

no player on Dukes roster averaged more than 4 min per game last year

zag coaches scouting Duke for possible Maui matchup....cover sheet Oh My!

ZW 6'7" 285 with a 45" vertical .....I'm sure you remember David Thompson and his 48" vertical.

I think Barrett is the better of the 3...almost Harden like
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

[QUOTE=Markburn1;1405380]I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them. NOBODY in college basketball matches up with Duke. I thought it would take a while for Coach K to get all those freshmen up to speed. Nope. They fired on all cylinders with at least three, maybe four, NBA ready players. They may have the top two draft picks and probably three in the lottery.

Well. IMO opinio what every sport is all about is Lacing 'em up and headin' out to the playing field to play the match. I don't believe I need to watch them in order to give my opinion. I do it a lot when making my predictions on our games, and I am not going to tell you how I do it.

I also find it interesting that you use the word "we" when saying "I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them." I really wasn't giving an assessment of Duke, but more an assessment of GU. For some reason some people really like to prove me wrong. One thing I notice about you is most use the word we rather than I. Don't be too surprised if Gonzaga matches up with them quite well when they play them in Maui.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Well for what it is worth, Sports Illustrated identified the 5 teams with the best chance of beating Duke

Kansas.....Virginia....GONZAGA....someone else....and lastly.... somebody else....

I really don't care who wins...I really want to see them play....twice...
    Agreed and getting WAY ahead of things here but if Zags face Duke in Maui, then regardless of outcome I think they would have better chance of beating them in a rematch in NCAA tourney. The sheer awe and wow factor around this Duke team may well reach mythic proportions by late season, particularly if they go undefeated heading into tourney, and that can defeat an opponent before tipoff...even a veteran opponent like the Zags. Having faced them once in Maui should diminish that factor quite a bit....I hope!
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

They are so young...hopefully they are believing all the hype....if you can keep the game close....at some point.... it is the favorite that gets frustrated and begins to choke ...a team that is a heavy underdog..... and has nothing to lose...... and feels no pressure.... can let it fly..
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.

I suspect the only team that can beat Duke, is Duke. I love playing high profile games...but want nothing to do with Duke this year until much later in the season.

[QUOTE=Reborn;1405421]
    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them. NOBODY in college basketball matches up with Duke. I thought it would take a while for Coach K to get all those freshmen up to speed. Nope. They fired on all cylinders with at least three, maybe four, NBA ready players. They may have the top two draft picks and probably three in the lottery.

Well. IMO opinio what every sport is all about is Lacing 'em up and headin' out to the playing field to play the match. I don't believe I need to watch them in order to give my opinion. I do it a lot when making my predictions on our games, and I am not going to tell you how I do it.

I also find it interesting that you use the word "we" when saying "I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them." I really wasn't giving an assessment of Duke, but more an assessment of GU. For some reason some people really like to prove me wrong. One thing I notice about you is most use the word we rather than I. Don't be too surprised if Gonzaga matches up with them quite well when they play them in Maui.

Go Zags!!!
    Whoops. Forgive me. I didn't take into account your clairvoyance.

Haha.

Anyhoo, not trying to prove anybody wrong. I want the Zags to be successful as much as you do. My problem is I deal in objective reality and base my opinion on what I can actually see. Crystal balls with all positive outcomes are not my Bag, Baby.... As a Canadian once said.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I don't think we can take your assessment of Duke and their capabilities with any confidence if you didn't watch them. NOBODY in college basketball matches up with Duke. I thought it would take a while for Coach K to get all those freshmen up to speed. Nope. They fired on all cylinders with at least three, maybe four, NBA ready players. They may have the top two draft picks and probably three in the lottery

Does that mean the Zags are doomed if they should be so lucky to make the Maui finals? Not necessarily, but it's going to take the Zags playing up to or possibly exceeding their capabilities and the Devils having a down night. They are really good. It will be considered an upset if the Zags win. I'm good with an upset.
    Question; What’s wrong with college basketball? Answer; Duke and Duke pretenders. Opinion; Pathetic!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Question; What’s wrong with college basketball? Answer; Duke and Duke pretenders. Opinion; Pathetic!
    I believe Few and company have modeled nearly everything they have done over the last twenty years after the Duke model. So, there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Oh My!

re. matchups with Duke or whoever, how the game is called inside is a concern when K and his bigs look to back down in the post and establish position off the ball and flail around with the sole intent of putting fouls on guys, literally begging for those whistles. can't be the best on the floor if you can't stay on the floor, K knows this as do others. I expect them to target Rui (but who knows exactly) but we'll see and hope he or whoever wins those battles, stays on the floor, gets the respect from the refs

specifically re. Duke, I expect some _______ officiating decisions always whoever they're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Is This your idea of "objective reality" too. Are you a GU grad? I hope not. I find your ideas about Mark Few as purely someone's opinion. It also shows your stupidity about GU basketball and Coach Few. I'm beginning to see now who the "we" is.
    Ease up a little on the reins.

I am not weighing in on how we match-up or don't versus Duke, I don't know enough BB to talk match-ups. I do know that it is an objective fact that when Few and Ross determined around 2000 that they liked the idea of building a program built to last and not a flash in the pan, they regularly sent personnel from the AD department out to Duke - and Duke graciously shared their knowledge - with the basic premise being "Teach us how you did it" from administration, to marketing, to ticketing, to TV deals. I don't know how much coaching/recruiting was borrowed, but there is a very good relationship between the administrations at the two schools.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.