Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gonzaga vs Idaho State: post game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Ease up a little on the reins.

I am not weighing in on how we match-up or don't versus Duke, I don't know enough BB to talk match-ups. I do know that it is an objective fact that when Few and Ross determined around 2000 that they liked the idea of building a program built to last and not a flash in the pan, they regularly sent personnel from the AD department out to Duke - and Duke graciously shared their knowledge - with the basic premise being "Teach us how you did it" from administration, to marketing, to ticketing, to TV deals. I don't know how much coaching/recruiting was borrowed, but there is a very good relationship between the administrations at the two schools.
    ^TRUTH^
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Let's be honest, Duke has 2 future NBA all stars on that team.

Some have stated it's a better class, in terms of rankings, than the Fab 5 of Michigan. This is Duke's single best class ever on rankings/scounting alone. Too early if it will develop into their best class ever.

They feature the #1 ranked prospect at every position.

Also, in some years it's just talent, but two of those players are elite right now. Not including Zion either, a show stopper and freakish, but there are two players better than him, at least in terms of NBA star level.

It would take going OFF from 3pt to beat them. We also don't have the bodies and depth up front to match their size and athleticism and skill. Petrusev would foul out in 2 mins.

The good news is guys like Norvell, Kispert, Geno, Perkins are all capable of lighting it up from 3pt.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

No fighting and mean spirited remarks let get to the in Maui and see what happens compared to when we are at seasons end when we meet top 5 teams in a drive to the final four.

They should probably just cancel the season and award the championship to Duke right now. [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Let's be honest, Duke has 2 future NBA all stars on that team.

Some have stated it's a better class, in terms of rankings, than the Fab 5 of Michigan. This is Duke's single best class ever on rankings/scounting alone. Too early if it will develop into their best class ever.

They feature the #1 ranked prospect at every position.

Also, in some years it's just talent, but two of those players are elite right now. Not including Zion either, a show stopper and freakish, but there are two players better than him, at least in terms of NBA star level.

It would take going OFF from 3pt to beat them. We also don't have the bodies and depth up front to match their size and athleticism and skill. Petrusev would foul out in 2 mins.

The good news is guys like Norvell, Kispert, Geno, Perkins are all capable of lighting it up from 3pt.
    I had Duke as my #1 team this year. How could you not with the #1, #2 and #4 top ranked freshmen recruiting class (and the top two NBA prospects) with Coach K coaching them?

But first, before they are anointed the next Fab 5 I want to see them play another ranked team besides Kentucky (who might be overrated) and I want to see how they fare in the ACC this year. Some of those coaches (Bennett, Williams) may figure them out and supply a blueprint on how to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    They should probably just cancel the season and award the championship to Duke right now. [/sarcasm]
    LOL

Let’s see how they fare against the entire ACC, playing against teams with upperclassmen in hostile environments, where calls don’t always go your way. High priced coaching staffs will be poring through game videos, devising tactics to make these phenoms “uncomfortable.” Most, if not all freshmen, hit a wall during February.

Zags two seniors in the backcourt will know how to control tempo, and Rui will be looking to establish himself in a high profile contest.

I like our chances in November, and March/April.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    I had Duke as my #1 team this year. How could you not with the #1, #2 and #4 top ranked freshmen recruiting class (and the top two NBA prospects) with Coach K coaching them?

But first, before they are anointed the next Fab 5 I want to see them play another ranked team besides Kentucky (who might be overrated) and I want to see how they fare in the ACC this year. Some of those coaches (Bennett, Williams) may figure them out and supply a blueprint on how to beat them.
    I watched the first half of Duke-UK last night. Damn, the "Dukie Love" was sickening. No doubt, Duke is really good, but UK didn't play any damn defense at all. That's a weakness across the board for most freshmen, and more experienced teams will take advantage of it.

When I see how well the Zags move the ball, I like our chances against any team in the country. Any team that tries to take Rui out of the game will pay dearly for it, our guys will make that extra pass to find an open man beyond the arc...and that's before Killian returns.

The Zags may be the most unselfish team in college basketball this year.

TZF, I love your enthusiasm but I'm just not seeing it. We could not stop dribble penetration by Idaho State. Their center had his way with us. Only fouls kept him off the floor and from a career night. I anticipated Brandon Clarke the rim protector as much as anyone, but that dude hasn't shown up. I'm not ready to sip the koolaid yet. I dont think we've played like a #3 team yet. Maybe different with Tillie but for now Duke would spank us. We need better defense, and someone need to take a charge now and then. Maybe the new rules have taken that out of play.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    TZF, I love your enthusiasm but I'm just not seeing it. We could not stop dribble penetration by Idaho State. Their center had his way with us. Only fouls kept him off the floor and from a career night. I anticipated Brandon Clarke the rim protector as much as anyone, but that dude hasn't shown up. I'm not ready to sip the koolaid yet. I dont think we've played like a #3 team yet. Maybe different with Tillie but for now Duke would spank us. We need better defense, and someone need to take a charge now and then. Maybe the new rules have taken that out of play.
    You must not know me very well...I don't drink Kool Aid. I limit myself to a few select beers and fine wines, though I'm not in amaronizag's class.

I'm just not ready to anoint Duke as the National Champ.

O/T, I've been a loyal customer of this winery for over 40 years...and they ship to most states in the US.

http://www.weingut-kroth.de/weine-shop/

Their prices are incredible, even when you add in shipping.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Perhaps, but its one game. Also Kentucky is overrated.
    Exactly. It amazes me how many people are crowning Duke already. They are talented sure, but they are also young. I guarantee you they will have at least one jaw dropping loss at some point to a team they shouldn't lose to.

Hey Tex, I like of your beverage of choice for the game tonight. In your honor, I'll crack a bottle of 2006 Dr. Thanisch Bernkastler Doktor Riesling Kabinett, and be thinking of you and your family as I drink it!!

As for Duke, I have high hopes for GU in Maui because Duke is younger and more inexperienced than GU, but boy are they tough. We're up to the challenge. I'm looking for a great game regardless of the outcome. GU has earned this spot in the sun.
    Lots of great basketball ahead with Auburn (?), Duke (?), TN, NC, UW, etc. What a great sport and what a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    Exactly. It amazes me how many people are crowning Duke already. They are talented sure, but they are also young. I guarantee you they will have at least one jaw dropping loss at some point to a team they shouldn't lose to.
    Man, I just don't like Duke. I'm glad I retired last year, there was a Dukie fan who was just obnoxious. One of my favorite days during the year was when Duke is knocked out of March Madness, and hearing all the excuses.

I don't know of any Duke fan that focuses on the "journey", it's all about the destination, i.e. NC or bust. That's a helluva way to spend six months of your life every year.

Duke's now a mercenary school with their focus on one-and-dones.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Hey Tex, I like of your beverage of choice for the game tonight. In your honor, I'll crack a bottle of 2006 Dr. Thanisch Bernkastler Doktor Riesling Kabinett, and be thinking of you and your family as I drink it!!

As for Duke, I have high hopes for GU in Maui because Duke is younger and more inexperienced than GU, but boy are they tough. We're up to the challenge. I'm looking for a great game regardless of the outcome. GU has earned this spot in the sun.
    Lots of great basketball ahead with Auburn (?), Duke (?), TN, NC, UW, etc. What a great sport and what a great season.
    You're making me jealous, bro! Our kitchen remodel has taken way too long, but I'm being patient for the day (hopefully soon), that the new 46 bottle built-in wine cooler is installed...and I can start filling it up.

Next major task is to find a sports bar centrally located in North Texas for the games this year, starting with Thursday's game. Looking forward to meeting scott257 and other Zag alums/fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Man, I just don't like Duke. I'm glad I retired last year, there was a Dukie fan who was just obnoxious. One of my favorite days during the year was when Duke is knocked out of March Madness, and hearing all the excuses.

I don't know of any Duke fan that focuses on the "journey", it's all about the destination, i.e. NC or bust. That's a helluva way to spend six months of your life every year.

Duke's now a mercenary school with their focus on one-and-dones.
    I remember you mentioning that Dukie last year. Too many are just that way.

I think the one thing the Zags need to avoid is getting beat badly early in the season like they did last year at Madison Square Garden (Villanova ?) with the entire basketball world watching. Didn’t that loss set us back in the polls and mindsets of pollsters and writers? If we lose to a Duke or other highly ranked team but play them tough, we should be OK. Beat ‘um, great, but playing them tough might be pretty near just as good, at least early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    actually it does...because it gives the staff a ton of video to critique and get the guys to focus on defense more.
    ...a ton!
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Ease up a little on the reins.

I am not weighing in on how we match-up or don't versus Duke, I don't know enough BB to talk match-ups. I do know that it is an objective fact that when Few and Ross determined around 2000 that they liked the idea of building a program built to last and not a flash in the pan, they regularly sent personnel from the AD department out to Duke - and Duke graciously shared their knowledge - with the basic premise being "Teach us how you did it" from administration, to marketing, to ticketing, to TV deals. I don't know how much coaching/recruiting was borrowed, but there is a very good relationship between the administrations at the two schools.
    Duke has Godzilla and we don’t.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Duke has Godzilla and we don’t.
    Not true, we have Godzilla, Duke has King Kong. LOL

What is going to be funny is when a super athletic, upper classmen guard team, who has very good depth in Auburn upsets Duke in the second round and we take on the Tigers in the finals.