Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Idaho State: post game thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs Idaho State: post game thoughts

I will watch replay later.

Your thoughts?
    Love the zags for life

rui physically dominated but needs to do better than 4 boards...rebounding will cost the zags a game at some point this year.

My two biggest concerns from that game were the rebounding and defense-- both staying in front of a player on the dribble drive and staying down on pump fakes, double moves in the post.
    If i am being honest i was not too impressed with Geno or Filip (only got it going in scrub time and couldnt keep their big man in front of him to save his life), and geno looked a bit lost and made a few dumb errors. I am going to attribute that to first game jitters. I saw a few good things from Clarke but his defensive rebounding and staying in front of his man need to progress. Great to see him hit a few jumpers though as he must have worked on that very much during his year off.

How about Rui? A guy that athletic and that physically superior i try to contain my excitement for, especially against inferior athletes like Idaho State, but how can you not get excited? He could have had 40+ easily in that game. The game really looks like it has slowed down for him.

Norvell was very good as expected and loved to see him and rui look like they were in attack mode at all times. He was fighting for rebounds and making plays all over the court.

Kispert was very solid. Looks to have his swagger back.

Perkins didnt do a ton, but didnt have to. I am not going to read much in to that as I have a ton of confidence in Josh to turn on the switch when truly needed.

Its late and i have watched about 6 games already, so not a ton to say tonight.. great offensive output. We can score with most all teams in the country i imagine. Will need to collectively rebound and defend better.

I have watched Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Nevada, Zags and Nova tonight. I would ranked from eye test as follows. 1) Duke-- not sure how any team can compete there. They looked other worldly. 2) Kansas-- more bodies than the zags. Grimes and Lawson are studs and their center is a matchup problem for anyone the zags have. 3) Zags 4)Nova 5) Mich State 6) Nevada-- they didnt impress me much vs BYU at home.

41 point win with 22 dunks and our defense gave up 79 points because they can.

See I don't see this as Rui Domination so much as it was assist driven team basketball. We had 29 assists in that game. When was the last time we had that many? For all the complaints about the Tillie possibly disrupting their anticipated lineups and some of the defensive sloppiness.....that was an impressive display of team basketball for most of the game.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    See I don't see this as Rui Domination so much as it was assist driven team basketball. We had 29 assists in that game. When was the last time we had that many? For all the complaints about the Tillie possibly disrupting their anticipated lineups and some of the defensive sloppiness.....that was an impressive display of team basketball for most of the game.
    team offense was pretty good for first game of the season...team defense left a lot to be desired

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    team offense was pretty good for first game of the season...team defense left a lot to be desired
    I have a feeling we're just going to have to outscore folks some nights. I'm ok with that as long as it ends up with a W.

Absolutely bonkers that we get to add Tillie to this already high octane, offensive juggernaut of a squad.

Since Foster played in this game is the redshirt out of the question now or are they allowed a certain number of games to make that choice?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Since Foster played in this game is the redshirt out of the question now or are they allowed a certain number of games to make that choice?
    freshman redshirt is out now...

My stat of the night.

Josh Perkins. 8 assists. 0 turnovers.

All hands on deck this year. The die has been cast.

Rui is a monster.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Rui is a monster.
    Preview of Rui vs. Zion:

With the dramatically bifurcated schedule, there will be more than a dozen blowouts like this. Fun, but not a lot of growing going on, IMO. Rui and Norvell looked like players on a top 5 team. Jury's out on the rest. Not that they played poorly, just not a test. A&M will yield more and then Maui for the big reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Preview of Rui vs. Zion:

Love it!!! Agree w earlier poster though, Duke looks like another level from any other D1 team I've seen..read an article where their fresh PG Tre Jones said their goal is to be best college basketball team ever; that does not seem to be a crazy goal for them.

As for Zags tonight, most important and encouraging stat for me is the 29 assists and how they move the ball. Not only because this reveals the quality of their offense, it also reflect the quality of team chemistry they are developing....no me-first agendas would allow for that kind of ball movement. This bodes very, very well. Other thoughts:
    - Great seeing Kispert play with confidence again and do his thing (though he still seems slow a foot and loose handle for my liking)
    - Rui and Norvell both have upped their games to another level and are ready to lead this team. They just look even better and completely confident.
    - Crandall looks savvy and like he 'gets it'...quick hands defensively (though needs to stay in front of his man better rather than swipe at ball from behind)..I'm not worried about his scoring. He will have some high scoring games is my guess
    - Perkins the floor general who looks to once again have to adjust to a new role / wrinkle in that coaches appear to plan on playing he and Crandall together quite a bit with Crandall bringing up the ball and initiating the offense sometimes....that kind of surprised me but in Few We Trust. Dickau mentioned being surprised by the one big w four guard lineup Zags went w for stretches. That will be fine for WCC but neither Kispert nor Norvell are big enough to play the 4 vs elite D-1 teams. Guess this is a byproduct of Tillie's injury; hopefully he gets 100% healthy by mid January.

Interior size/defense and rebounding are my biggest concerns; as much as we heard about Clarke's athleticism, after seeing him play for first time I am fairly certain he will be nowhere near as good a low post defender/rebounder as JWIII was. Just my opinion...he is slender and loves to leave his feet.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Making me wonder what the point total will be for the Zags lowest scoring game .....
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Love it!!! Agree w earlier poster though, Duke looks like another level from any other D1 team I've seen..read an article wear their fresh PG Tre Jones said their goal is to be best college basketball team ever; that does not seem to be a crazy goal for them.

As for Zags tonight, most important and encouraging stat for me is the 29 assists and how they move the ball. Not only because this reveals the quality of their offense, it also reflect the quality of team chemistry they are developing....no me-first agendas would allow for that kind of ball movement. This bodes very, very well. Other thoughts:
    - Great seeing Kispert play with confidence again and do his thing (though he still seems slow a foot and loose handle for my liking)
    - Rui and Norvell both have upped their games to another level and are ready to lead this team. They just look even better and completely confident.
    - Crandall looks savvy and like he 'gets it'...quick hands defensively (though needs to stay in front of his man better rather than swipe at ball from behind)..I'm not worried about his scoring. He will have some high scoring games is my guess
    - Perkins the floor general who looks to once again have to adjust to a new role / wrinkle in that coaches appear to plan on playing he and Crandall together quite a bit with Crandall bringing up the ball and initiating the offense sometimes....that kind of surprised me but in Few We Trust. Dickau mentioned being surprised by the one big w four guard lineup Zags went w for stretches. That will be fine for WCC but either Kispert or Norvell are big enough to play the 4 vs elite D-1 teams. Guess this is a byproduct of Tillie's injury; hopefully he gets 100% healthy by mid January.

Interior size/defense and rebounding are my biggest concerns; as much as we heard about Clarke's athleticism, after seeing him play for first time I am fairly certain he will be nowhere near as good a low post defender/rebounder as JWIII was. Just my opinion...he is slender and loves to leave his feet.
    Kentucky lost the TO battle 15-4. Our guards have to do better than Kentucky. Our 3 point shooting could be an equalizer.

I like our chances against Duke, especially when Killian returns fully recovered from his stress fracture. Rui will make Zion work on defense, I have yet to see a freshman that is solid on defense. I doubt Zion's ever been asked to play D.

Dukes scores 118 against a higher ranked team

whole nother level

We play Duke in Maui.....could get ugly

117 against Southern in 2010 record for MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    41 point win with 22 dunks and our defense gave up 79 points because they can.
    not so sure about that, but I do see your point.

however, our bigs were simply SCHOOLED numerous times on fundamental/solid post footwork vs Idaho St.

Our guys were hopping, jumping, trying to swat, arms up, but just being patiently scored upon time and time again.

GU's defense was opportunistic, but hardly tight enough, and almost ZERO help defense was seen. Some of those switches along the perimeter were embarrassingly bad. Several open layups because we did not communicate or anticipate well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Dukes scores 118 against a higher ranked team

whole nother level We play Duke in Maui.....could get ugly
    Few will have to pull some magic out of his hat with this team for two halves. Not sure we have enough fouls to give to slow them down.

Zags vs Goliath. We will need a giant offensive and defensive effort to win.

Go Zags

From the Idaho State-Journal:

The Bulldogs shot 30 of 37 at the free-throw line and out-rebounded ISU 42-30.

“We played a really good basketball team who is big and strong at the four and five positions,” Idaho State coach Bill Evans said. “They really attacked us in there.”
    https://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...7db33d347.html

The Slipper Still Fits:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...o-state-120-79

The Bengals success in the paint could partially be attributed to two early fouls on Brandon Clarke limiting his minutes in the first half. That and Bengals center Jones looked pretty good. Filip Petrusev also suffered a cut on his head in the first half limiting his minutes and causing the Zags to go to a four-guard line-up. The “small ball” Zags were very effective allowing the Bulldog to build a 20-point first half lead after Idaho State went up 21-20. With Rui dominating the beginning of the second half, the last 10 minutes of the game tuned into garbage time with GU hitting the 100-point mark with 7:31 to play in the half.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

No it’s not is it? I thought there was a new rule that said he could play a certain number of games? I think someone needs to check this
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    No it’s not is it? I thought there was a new rule that said he could play a certain number of games? I think someone needs to check this
    Let us know what you find

As for Foster, this passage from the Blanchette column in the S-R sums it up nicely:

This wasn’t up for a vote, necessarily, but it’s official that the Zags won’t have a notable redshirt this season. Freshman guard Greg Foster Jr. got in eight minutes of action against the Bengals and figures to see more.

“We need as many bodies as we can get,” said Few, who has 11 scholarship players with one – Killian Tillie – out for two months with an injury. “We have minutes available. Greg is someone who can definitely move his feet and can physically help us at the defensive end.”

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson