Thread: Lady Zags Showcase Balanced Attack in Exhibition Win

Post Lady Zags Showcase Balanced Attack in Exhibition Win

Zags Showcase Balanced Attack in Exhibition Win

Five Bulldogs finish in double-figures

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team cruised to an 86-43 exhibition win over visiting Carroll College Friday evening in front of 5,370 strong at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

The Zags were 55.7 percent from the floor, including 46.7 percent from beyond-the-arc, while limiting the Saints to 30.2 percent shooting. The Bulldogs also won the rebounding battle with a 38-29 edge on the glass.

"I loved our pace," head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier said. "I thought we had a lot of people contribute, so that was good…I just liked the contribution all around. Whether they scored a bunch of points or didn't, I don't think [there was] anyone who came in that didn't give us something good."

Five Zags finished in double-figures paced by 23 points from Chandler Smith. The senior was 9-of-12 from the floor and 3-of-5 from long range. She also added seven rebounds in the win. Melody Kempton narrowly missed a double-double in her Bulldog debut as she finished with 10 points and a game-high nine boards. Katie Campbell scored 13 points, Jill Townsend had 12 and Zykera Rice chipped in 11.

Laura Stockton dished out a game-high six assists to go along with two seals for the Zags. Gonzaga finished with 14 assists and forced Carroll College into 21 turnovers.

"It was really fun," Campbell said. "We improved in a lot of areas we saw from our scrimmage, and we all played together really well. We were able to really show our strengths in this exhibition game."

Gonzaga claimed a 10-5 advantage through the first five minutes of the game and extended its lead to 15 (24-9) by the end of the first quarter. In the second quarter, GU finished 11-for-16 from the floor to shoot a deadly 68.8 percent while limiting the Saints 21.4 percent shooting. Nearly half of the Zags second-quarter points came in the paint as they edged the Saints 12-2. By the end of the first half, Gonzaga had extended its lead to 29, 50-21.

The Bulldogs cruised in the second and gained their largest lead of the half at 86-42 with 42 seconds to play.

Hannah Dean paced Carroll College with 11 points while Brittney Johnson chipped in eight.

The Zags open their regular season schedule at home against Montana on Nov. 7 at 6 p.m.

Gonzaga Article Link

first impressions.....

Leeanne held her own....JT a fighter for sure....Melody....an all around great basketball player....LS fought hard, still not smooth at times.....but she is a hustler...Jessie remains fast and not afraid to pull up for a shot...Zee hampered by fouls but was a deadly from those short two's.....Chandler does everything...lay ins'...short jumper....three's....moves the ball well....Katie another dead eye shooter when she's open, which she seems to be able to do...LF showed great hustle and doesn't mind mixing it up....she'll need more than 12 minutes to get her confidence and I hope CLF doesn't blow it with her.. ...Corryn and Gillian will be able to fill in as needed..

generally pleased .....we're undersized at our post position especially with Jen out but Melody and Lee and Zee held their own.

next game Wednesday.....

does anybody know if there is going to be a radio show this year?

Expected the Sr.s to do well, Chandler sure filled up the stats. The question is who else can play a complete game each and every game, my bet is on Zee and JL to help carry the load.
    Such a weak team (Carroll) I'm not sure you can take to much from this game. The next game against Montana should provide a more accurate indication as who can step it up, should still be a 20pt plus win for the Zags.

Such a weak team (Carroll)
    Not entirely true. Carroll is predicted to win the Frontier conference and is ranked #7 nationally in the NAIA poll. There not D-1 quality, but they are a very good NAIA team. A very good team to have as an exhibition opponent.

ZagDad

It was great seeing such a large crowd for the first game of the season...

First.... very sad seeing a whole lot of talent wearing street clothes... hope Kylee and Jenn heal and Ana makes it through a long redshirt year.

Lots of talent... one hopes the coaches can get them playing as a team.

First note... heard that LS was going to show more leadership... both positive and negative. With this team, hopefully positive.
    Leave the negative to CLF...

Second note... Chandler Smith is a leader by example.... and I think the team will follow.

Third note... Zee and JL will bring the excitement to the game, and that will get the crowd into it.

Fourth and last note... the rest of the team will be the difference. A great group of players that will give you a game.

The coaches have been together for a number of years now... it can say a lot about them, the program and GU.

Very excited about this team !!

Go Zags!!

what do you make of LF only getting 12 minutes, and coming in well after a freshmen was sent in.. ( LF is a highly rated recruit)..I don't' get it....I still don't understand last year....if CLF wasn't intending on getting LF some valuable minutes to build confidence.....why didnt she redshirt her?...

LF will get there... with time.

I agree that she needs more time on the court. I want to see more of a drive and shoot or pass from her than just the three. Right now I’m seeing to much pump and pass from her. Like CS, she needs to make things happen.... and I think it will with more time.

I’m seeing a little disconnect that needs to be taken care of... screaming and clapping for the ball. Again more time... to be part of the team on the floor.

We need Lew to become a big part of this team.

Go Zags!!

I know Chandler won the night in the stats column and leadership capabilities (well deserved and congrats, potential WCC POY candidate) but for me the surprise of the night was Melody Kempton. She didn’t seem to have any freshman fear or hesitation. There were times in a set offense she looked out of place or confused but then got position defensively or got a put back; she seems to have a nose for the ball. Z seemed to have a ton of energy which translated into fouls, that’s alright, it will work itself out. Team looked good, was pleased to see the improved shooting on the perimeter.

I was not able to make the game so i didnt get to see how LF played. Last month when i was invited to watch the team workout it seemed like she was behind KC in the rotation. Looks like that she is in the same place on the depth chart. She should still get minutes this year, just needs to make the most of them. Some defense and rebounds will get you minutes on the floor also. LF does not play a post position like MK so comparing their minutes of play time means nothing. LF was injured at the begining of last year and possibly the thought of redshirting her came up. Maybe CLF wanted her to but LF didnt want to redshirt. The only thing for sure we know is that it didnt happen. I would like to see her do well but i am not going to second guess coaches playing rotations. Especially with just an exhibition game in the books.

That is exactly how Melody has played since she was a little kid. She will do very well.

yep....Melody was outstanding.......noticed her at the top of the key and patiently and efficiently passing the ball out.....no panic......its very early to say but since I'm a homer I'm going to say we may have gotten the best recruit in the area pound for pound, inch for inch.

I think Carroll did a good job.....they nearly out rebounded us.....close to stealing the ball several times....it was a good test for the girls and I'm glad for the effort..

I agree with everyone on the fact that we got a gem in Melody! Her game reminds me of Kevin McHale, the Celtic great. Long arms, quick jump, keeps the ball up, tips the ball to herself on rebounds...just a nose for the ball and crafty. She did not play like a freshman.
    Nice to see some confident strokes from 3 point line, even Louise's miss looked better than last year. She still looks like the game is a little fast for her, but she is moving better.
    Have a good year, ladies!

A good start against a very good NAIA team with several players from the Spokane area that wanted to show well for their family and friends.

The Good:
    - Overall and 3-Pt shooting percentages were very good. Zee in particular continued her great shooting from last year.
    - Katie Campbell's 3-Pt shooting was excellent. Great job Katie.
    - Not a single shot clock violation. The team did not seem to need to hold onto the ball. Open shots were taken immediately. Good Job.
    - Chandler being a jack of all trades was expected, but showing her leadership abilities and aggressive play was a very nice change.
    - The play of Melody and Townsie along with Chandler stood out among numerous players with good games. Melody's play was way above freshman level.

The Needs Work:
    - Zee needs to watch the Ticky-Tack fouls. She is a dominating player but only if she can stay on the court.
    - Rebounding in general was relatively weak. We should have doubled Carroll's rebounding numbers. Some of it was the long bounces from shots taken by Carroll.
    - Establishing inside position. JT and Zee did great. Melody tried hard but needs more strength to keep from being pushed around. Everybody else was weak.
    - The guards missed a whole bunch of open pick and rolls. The roller was open but the guards were slow to look for the roller.
    - Too many attempted bounces passes in the key. Too many legs, too congested to be successful.

Overall a good game against a good opponent who had already played an exhibition game that they won by about 50 pts. Not bad for a 1st game.

The Lady Zags looked much more like a "team" on Friday than last year's Barta and the four amigo's. Kind of like LeBron on the Lakers this year. On Friday, everybody shared the shooting and the defense with no standing around waiting for somebody else to do something. No disrespect meant to JB, she did what was asked of her and more and she did it excellently. However, I think counting on her for a large part of the scoring and rebounding on an every game basis took a lot away from the "team". The Lady's looked like a "team" yesterday.

Melody and Louise play different positions so with JW hurt, there is one (1) less post/forward player to share the minutes with allowing Melody to have more time on the court on Friday. I think when JW comes back Melody's minutes may be cut back. Alternately, I think she significantly outplayed LW on Friday, so maybe she will retain her PT.

Question: How does Katie end up in the corner with absolutely nobody around her for the open 3's? You rarely see anybody else (LS, JL, CS, LF, etc.) on the team just standing in the corner totally unguarded, but time after time, there was KC standing in the corner all by herself. Yesterday, when the guards got her the ball when she was open, the ball immediately went up and more often than not it went in. I have no idea how she gets that wide open, however, if she keeps hitting the 3's you can bet the other teams will start to find out where she is.

ZagDad

Just a couple of quick comments ZD...

JT was playing the 4 hence there were four players playing post.
    KC was open at least a couple of times due to LS driving and drawing KC’s defender with her then passing out to KC
    Last... LW had 9 points and I think played a good game. MK and LW will fill in just fine.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Just a couple of quick comments ZD...

JT was playing the 4 hence there were four players playing post.
    KC was open at least a couple of times due to LS driving and drawing KC’s defender with her then passing out to KC
    Last... LW had 9 points and I think played a good game. MK and LW will fill in just fine.

Go Zags!!
    Thanks Skip. Allow me an opportunity to explain my comments.

Thanks for the info on JT. I know she was playing the 4 for most of the game. My comment was addressing Sylean's question as to why a freshman (Melody) was given so many more minutes than a high recruit (LF). As I noted above, Melody and LF do not normally play the same position, so it is highly unlikely that Melody would take PT from LF. Melody's extended PT may have come from the fact that JW was injured and when she comes back, assuming she plays the #4, she likely will take PT away from anybody who plays the #4 which likely will include Melody.

As for my question about KC, I will ask it again: Why is KC the only player standing in the corner wide open? Yes, I know that LS (and others) drive the key drawing the defense into the key leaving the corners wide open BUT how come KC is the only player who appears to be this wide open? Several other players played the #2 & #3 yet nobody was as continuously wide open as Katie. LS and JL drove the lane when Katie was not in game, yet nobody else was as wide open as when she was in the game. So what is Katie doing (or not doing) that allows her to be wide open when other people playing her position don't seem to get near as wide open?

As far as LW is concerned, I never said LW had a bad game. You can't assume that when I say somebody was outplayed by another player that I was saying the outplayed player had a bad game. This is an erroneous conclusion. You can have one player have a good game and still be outplayed by another player having a great game. LW played well on Friday, no doubt about it, IMO Melody played better. I had not even looked at the stats when I made the comment, I based it strictly on the eye test. Melody fought much harder inside and established inside position (on offense and defense) much more often than LW. After your comment I looked at the stats and here is what I found:

Leeann - 19 Min., 9 Pts (4-6 shooting, 1-2 FT), 3 Rbds (0 Off & 3 Def), 1 T/O and 1 Blk.
    Melody - 26 Min., 10 Pts (4-7 shooting, 2-2 FT), 9 Rbds (5 Off & 4 Def), 1 Ast., 2 T/O and 3 Stls.

We are very lucky to have an very deep (if not tall) number of options at the #4/#5 spots this year and LW and MK will both be a very big part of our success.

Wednesday is a step up in competition, and we will see how the girls handle this new and more difficult challenge.

One thing to keep in mind, is that this game was much closer than the final score. Carroll made our defense look much better than it really was by shooting only 30% overall, 22% from 3 Pt range and 46.7% from the free throw line. While some of the fall off has to be attributed to the Lady Zag defense, the Saints also missed a lot of wide open shots. Had Carroll shot a more typical shooting percentage, the final outcome of the game would have been a victory in the 20's instead of the 43 pt victory.

ZagDad

Good discussion ZD...

I agree that MK is the real deal... her motor is running all the time. As for height, she is a 6’1” that can sky like Zee. The quickness... that is a plus.
    As for LW... she and her sis will bring other things to the game. What is nice, is both LW and MK coming off the bench will contribute.
    As for others open at the corners... LF was open a number of times. One problem was getting her the ball.. the second was she was making a ton of noise. Every time she did, she became covered. They need to work things out there. KC could have been in the stands as quiet and hidden as she was.

Now for the Big Sky.. UM and EWU (what to wear?). Next step.

Go Zags!!

Skip:

As for others open at the corners... LF was open a number of times. One problem was getting her the ball.. the second was she was making a ton of noise. Every time she did, she became covered. They need to work things out
    Good catch. Unfortunately, I noticed this at the scrimmage as well. The guards need to get in snyc with LF. Hopefully more playing time will help.

KC could have been in the stands as quiet and hidden as she was.

(what to wear?)
    I would suggest that Garnett and Grey may be a poor choice on Wednesday and maybe Blue might be a good selection for EWU. In all honestly, the calendar says Blue for UM and ISU and that would work for EWU as well.

ZagDad

I think KC was wide open at least three times even her two she was pretty open IIRC....I wish the pg's would learn to drive and dish out more often....its very effective...

KC is an unknown to most teams and she is slight of build and pretty quick.....defenses lose her.......they better start paying attention...
    !
    when you can get a player open and they actually can hit their shots.....GOLD!....we must hit our shot this year to be competitive...