Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Lining with Tillie

Default The Silver Lining with Tillie

Having one of your top guys out for 8 weeks obviously sucks, but there's plenty of good to go along with the bad.

--The team knows what he brings, and he will fit right in just where he left off.
    --Petrusev will get more valuable experience during this time.
    --He will be back, and he should be in top form by the end of the season.

Except for him having to be injured, maybe this is a blessing in disguise? Time will tell. Heal up, young man!
    Last edited by NotoriousZ; 11-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

One question about this thinking which I agree with. When he does return, this team as is will have adjusted to each other a great deal. The chemistry issues will take a certain flavor on for the better, so when KT comes back to the mix will it cause a disruption in the flow of this team in terms of how they have learned to play together? We know KT is huge for us, but the flow as a team dynamic may be different upon his arrival perhaps that will take some time to readjust to?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I see the point and love the sentiment, but our season depends so heavily upon 3 games in the first month of the season, Duke, UNC, Tennessee, three top 10 teams. If we win two of those games and do not have an upset somewhere else, we can dial in a number one seed. It is difficult to see the loss of Tillie for those games as anything but disastrous.

The only possible silver lining would be if somehow Petrusev has the potential to be just as good as KT, or more consistent, or like the Michigan State game, starting Corey in place of KT brings Corey to a level that we're not aware of.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Kids been beat up a lot of late. If he does return, who knows where he’ll be health wise. I wish the best for him and hope he heals, but the team will need to learn to play without him. None of this “just wait” stuff. Man, I had a hunch Jacob’s departure would hurt, but not like this. We’ll need every game to be without injury and foul trouble!

There you go. Lost opportunities that will impact seeding. There’s no silver lining to losing your most accomplished player for the heart of the season. Better he take off the wretched January-February games. None.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I see the point and love the sentiment, but our season depends so heavily upon 3 games in the first month of the season, Duke, UNC, Tennessee, three top 10 teams. If we win two of those games and do not have an upset somewhere else, we can dial in a number one seed. It is difficult to see the loss of Tillie for those games as anything but disastrous.

The only possible silver lining would be if somehow Petrusev has the potential to be just as good as KT, or more consistent, or like the Michigan State game, starting Corey in place of KT brings Corey to a level that we're not aware of.

From what I can recall, the selection committee takes into account players lost/gained due to injury when determining the seeding process.

Further, I have confidence that the Zags can make a good accounting of themselves in the preconference without Tillie. Experience at the guard position, a legitimate all American with Rui, and a player that might prove to be more transcendental than we had thought in Clarke. Dead eye Kispert and crunch time Norvell thrown in the mix. This team can beat anyone without Tillie.
    I miss Mike Hart

If this team is championship caliber, there are enough other guys who can step up. One pac 12 team I watched in their exhibition the other night was missing 4 rotation players. It's part of the game.

A couple of years ago, there was a 3 seed who lost their 4th best player to an acl in their conference tourney (top 3 were second round picks, all currently in the NBA), a 6'10 player who held the school season record for blocks as well as scoring around 12 ppg. That team beat the 1 seed in their region, a 1 seed playing 30 miles from their home arena, on the way to the final 4. Their other big had the best tourney of any center since Olajuwan, statistically, in the absence of the injured guy. (Who, ironically, had some similarities to Tillie as a big who could play outside)

Default Bump

So here we are, the regular season done and the Zags are in position for a one seed, perhaps the overall number one.

I think we would all agree that Petrusev, while showing a huge upside for next year and beyond, has absolutely needed every bit of experience that Tillie’s injuries have allowed him to get. But there’s another positive that I’ve been thinking about to come out of this negative.

And with all due respect to Tillie, that reason is that even if KT was at 100 percent he would still be our third best big man. I think I can safely say that since Rui and Clarke are as good as they are. A healthy Tillie would most likely have started for us instead of Clarke. And you just know there would been debate after debate about who should be starting for us all season long.

Now when Tills is able to come back, it will be off the bench without question. And if Tills gets close to his normal self, we will be even better than we have been all year.

But even then, there will be a need for Petrusev in the dance at some point. So yes, I would say there was definitely a silver lining.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    So here we are, the regular season done and the Zags are in position for a one seed, perhaps the overall number one.

I think we would all agree that Petrusev, while showing a huge upside for next year and beyond, has absolutely needed every bit of experience that Tillie’s injuries have allowed him to get. But there’s another positive that I’ve been thinking about to come out of this negative.

And with all due respect to Tillie, that reason is that even if KT was at 100 percent he would still be our third best big man. I think I can safely say that since Rui and Clarke are as good as they are. A healthy Tillie would most likely have started for us instead of Clarke. And you just know there would been debate after debate about who should be starting for us all season long.

Now when Tills is able to come back, it will be off the bench without question. And if Tills gets close to his normal self, we will be even better than we have been all year.

But even then, there will be a need for Petrusev in the dance at some point. So yes, I would say there was definitely a silver lining.
    Very thoughtful post. My own thought is that four serviceable bigs (along with the incomparable NWG) is what carried us to the title game in 2017. With Tillie back in action that's what we'll have again, freeing Rui and Clarke to play with abandon knowing the cavalry has their backs.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Very thoughtful post. My own thought is that four serviceable bigs (along with the incomparable NWG) is what carried us to the title game in 2017. With Tillie back in action that's what we'll have again, freeing Rui and Clarke to play with abandon knowing the cavalry has their backs.
    Agreed 100%. If we make a run don’t be surprised to see Jeremy Jones also play a HUGE factor in one or even two games
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Jones will get some run but I really think Petrusev will only see the floor if we go up by 20+ in the first few rounds. I do wish Tillie hadn’t gotten re-injured just for the idea that he would be better broken in and finding his stride right now, being a part of that 3/4 bigs tandem that could get us so very far. As it is, i don’t think we see him reach his stride ever this year.
    Last edited by hooter73; 03-06-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Please don't use the phrase "broken in" in the same sentence with Tillie

I just feel so bad for Killian because injuries have plagued him his whole career. Just as they did with Erroll and Blake. Many Zag fans have no idea how much agony Blake Stepp played with. He would have to sit out practice for weeks....he'd just play in games. It cost him a chance to play in the NBA. He was only able to play a couple of years overseas. Too much agony.

Quote Originally Posted by 3XaZag View Post
    Please don't use the phrase "broken in" in the same sentence with Tillie
    Lol yeah good call

With Corey & Zach both spotty in shooting 3s it’d sure be nice for Killian to rain some in next week. It’d been quite difficult for teams to prepare for the Zags with Killian in the mix. Hard enough now as it is. Heal well Tillie!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    With Corey & Zach both spotty in shooting 3s it’d sure be nice for Killian to rain some in next week. It’d been quite difficult for teams to prepare for the Zags with Killian in the mix. Hard enough now as it is. Heal well Tillie!
    Before that stinker vs St Marys last wk, Zach had been shooting 50% from 3pt over the last 8 games.

Too bad for him as that game was loaded with NBA scouts & GM's.

Norvell was checked out offensively, even going 50% from FT line. Unlike him.

He will bounce back as usual...

Captain obvious says:

Having Tillie in the rotation (even if limited to 8 min) relieves foul pressure, allowing our other bigs to not worry and defend aggressively. It also puts a different kind of player that other teams need to scout and prepare for. Tillie extends the floor and teams will have to defend him differently than Clarke. And obviously that additional deep threat is something that can only help. Having another shooter will only open up driving lanes for Norvell, Kispert, Rui, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Jones will get some run but I really think Petrusev will only see the floor if we go up by 20+ in the first few rounds.
    I still remember Petrusev and his play in the Maui tournament. Some players are just better in big games when the lights are brightest. Don't count him out. He will step up when needed (see last second shot before halftime of the St. Mary's game).

I think the statistics bear this out. The biggest advantage to having Tillie back in the rotation is that our Defense gets better. Quite a bit better in fact. Whether it allows for more aggressiveness due to less pressure to not foul on our front line guys, or Tillie's obviously superior knowledge and feel for the game on the defensive end of the floor or simply that Tillie is also a good shot blocker, the fact is we are a better defensive team with Tillie than with out Tillie.

Is it certain Tillie would not go in a draft even with his present injury-situation?
    Zion will, won't he if he is not 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I think the statistics bear this out. The biggest advantage to having Tillie back in the rotation is that our Defense gets better. Quite a bit better in fact. Whether it allows for more aggressiveness due to less pressure to not foul on our front line guys, or Tillie's obviously superior knowledge and feel for the game on the defensive end of the floor or simply that Tillie is also a good shot blocker, the fact is we are a better defensive team with Tillie than with out Tillie.
    I'm in this camp. D better with KT for many reasons, well hashed in this thread, and I hope he's able to go 10-15 minutes. would be a big deal imo

If he is healthy 'enough', a less than 100%Tillie is likely still helpful even if only out there for 5-7 minutes. Agree with above posters who cite ability to eat up fouls and an extra body who can stretch the floor, grab rebounds, get put backs in case other bigs are in foul trouble.

I sure hope Clarke stays out of foul trouble early on though. Would much rather give up a bucket to the other team than have him pick up a quick foul or two in the Dance.

I like Tillie and his numbers in past seasons, but the current team - without Tillie - has done some great stuff.
    My real concern is for Tillie. If I was an NBA scout or - more importantly - an insurance company who insures the health of NBA players, I would have some significant reservations about insuring Tillie's feet. His feet are sounding more and more like Bill Walton's feet every day. I wonder whether and how Tillie could get to the NBA.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Tillie update: Jim Meehan-Twitter

Killian Tillie practiced for extended minutes Thursday for first time since foot injury on Feb. 7. Coach Few said they need to see how Tillie's foot reacts over the next day or two before deciding if he'll play in WCC Tournament.

More: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...es-for-extend/

From the linked article above:

“He went up and down with us,” coach Mark Few said. “I thought he looked pretty good. It’s all about how he feels now (going forward). This was the first time he had extended minutes practicing, jumping, sprinting, live 5-on-5. Now we have to see how it reacts.”
    Good news. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.