Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Lining with Tillie

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I think the statistics bear this out. The biggest advantage to having Tillie back in the rotation is that our Defense gets better. Quite a bit better in fact. Whether it allows for more aggressiveness due to less pressure to not foul on our front line guys, or Tillie's obviously superior knowledge and feel for the game on the defensive end of the floor or simply that Tillie is also a good shot blocker, the fact is we are a better defensive team with Tillie than with out Tillie.
    This.

As good a 3 pt shooter as he can be, it is unlikely he can simply come in, play 20 mins in the WCC tourney, and be hitting 40% from three in the NCAAs.

OTOH, he definitely can being max effort and be his bouncy self on the defensive end. Almost as good a shot blocker as Clark (almost).

I think teams will also at least have to respect the 3 pt line with him, so it stretches the defense in a way that BC and Rui cannot.

Too bad we never had enough time to really let the team adapt to the three headed beast of BC, Rui and Tillie in the game together. I am not sure it would ever have worked as a starting line-up. But if in WCC play we could've gotten the 3 of them enough time together on the floor, it might've worked in stretches. Let Tillie or Rui play the 3.

Unfortunately, seems like they won't have had enough time to really make that work.

Regardless, his up/down nature might benefit from coming off the bench.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This.

As good a 3 pt shooter as he can be, it is unlikely he can simply come in, play 20 mins in the WCC tourney, and be hitting 40% from three in the NCAAs.

OTOH, he definitely can being max effort and be his bouncy self on the defensive end. Almost as good a shot blocker as Clark (almost).

I think teams will also at least have to respect the 3 pt line with him, so it stretches the defense in a way that BC and Rui cannot.

Too bad we never had enough time to really let the team adapt to the three headed beast of BC, Rui and Tillie in the game together. I am not sure it would ever have worked as a starting line-up. But if in WCC play we could've gotten the 3 of them enough time together on the floor, it might've worked in stretches. Let Tillie or Rui play the 3.

Unfortunately, seems like they won't have had enough time to really make that work.

Regardless, his up/down nature might benefit from coming off the bench.
    I can almost envision the four headed beast, 2 shifts that swap out, ala Karno/Willams and Collins/Tillie.

I'm sure it won't happen, but a little Tillie/Petrusev run would not be a bad thing.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

All due respect, but that 3 head thing wasn't exactly gangbusters when Few tried it......

According to KHQ news in Spokane Jeff Goodman reported today Mark Few told him Killian Tillie is ready and will be available at the WCC tournament in Las Vegas!

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
    8h8 hours ago
    More
    Gonzaga coach Mark Few told @Stadium that Killian Tillie has practiced the last couple days, and he’s optimistic that Tillie will play in the WCC tourney. Would be HUGE if the ‘Zags can get 10-15 quality minutes from Tillie in NCAA tourney.

Oh my!

This is major! I hope he doesn’t have any more injury issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    This is major! I hope he doesn’t have any more injury issues!
    Ditto.

I know some, at least Twitter peeps, prefer to rest him for NCAA Tourney, yet i hope we see him get extended run in Vegas.

At least as much as physically possible.

This is for Tillie's benefit come NCAA time, and team chemistry.

The hope is to keep his injury stable, as it's technically still healing, but also need the upcoming two games are needed to instill mental & physical confidence, conditioning, & game strength.

It's more dangerous to wait til we face a 8 seed type team and throw him out there and expect him to go 110% right away.

IF Tillie is practicing, he should be playing asap, esp this type of unique injury. WCC tournament will allow him to gauge it more than he could in a NCAA type environment/game.

At this juncture, it doesnt pay to be overly cautious with him. Limited, of course, but hope Coach Few not overly conservative or expecting a 30-35 pt lead to put him in, as he kinda does to put our deep bench in.

It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    All due respect, but that 3 head thing wasn't exactly gangbusters when Few tried it......
    You are correct, sir. It was a minor dumpster fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    It's definitely peanut butter and jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Ditto.

I know some, at least Twitter peeps, prefer to rest him for NCAA Tourney, yet i hope we see him get extended run in Vegas.

The hope is to keep his injury stable, as it's technically still healing, but also need the upcoming two games are needed to instill mental & physical confidence, conditioning, & game strength.

It's more dangerous to wait til we face a 8 seed type team and throw him out there and expect him to go 110% right away.

IF Tillie is practicing, he should be playing asap, esp this type of unique injury. WCC tournament will allow him to gauge it more than he could in a NCAA type environment/game.

At this juncture, it doesnt pay to be overly cautious with him. Limited, of course, but hope Coach Few not overly conservative or expecting a 30-35 pt lead to put him in, as he kinda does to put our deep bench in.
    Thinking just maybe (hypothesis only) make his primary job the 3 ball? Not sayin’, just askin.”

Some things you got to let breathe. You can’t panic cause 3 wide open jumpers don’t go down. Draw 5 out of a hat
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Ditto.

I don't understand what you mean by:

WCC tournament will allow him to gauge it more than he could in a NCAA type environment/game
    Taking the court vs D1 opposition for a player coming back from injury is what it is...whether his first game back is in WCC tourney (obviously preferable) or in NCAA tourney, the player/training staff cannot "gauge it more" (the injury, how he is moving at 100% game speed etc.) in one vs the other.

If all you are saying is that because stakes are higher in NCAA tourney than in WCC it is preferable to have Tillie back for first action in Vegas rather than NCAA...yeah, 100% agree w you.

We now know Tillie has been cleared to play in WCC tourney; that being the case, there is no chance Few only puts him in if team is up 20+ as w deep bench players. Zags will want Tillie contributing within the top 7-8 man rotation so that is where his WCC tourney minutes should be expected to come from.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

No no no, I was referring to Few using 3 BIGS at same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    Some things you got to let breathe. You can’t panic cause 3 wide open jumpers don’t go down. Draw 5 out of a hat

No no no, I was referring to Few using 3 BIGS at same time.
    But I thought it was the roster the entire nation was clamoring for?
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    But I thought it was the roster the entire nation was clamoring for?
    Like E. Harris at the 3?

I was interested in seeing that Rui/Clarke/Tillie lineup but, given the results this year without it, it doesn't seem like a necessary experiment. Maybe you do it against Duke if they go with one of their gigantic lineups. I think you need Tillie more for depth than you do for scoring/defense in the starting lineup, anyhow. He is piece that you can swap out readily for Rui or Clarke and keep the offensive and defensive flow going (compared to Petrusev, who isn't comfortable leaving the paint on defense right now). I'm glad Tillie will be in the WCC tournament, which will be a warm-up of sorts for March Madness.

As an aside, it seems like a reasonable idea to get every player fitted for custom orthotic insoles and have them wear them prophylactically, similar to how football linemen wear knee braces.

Like E. Harris at the 3?
    Well played sir.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I was interested in seeing that Rui/Clarke/Tillie lineup but, given the results this year without it, it doesn't seem like a necessary experiment. Maybe you do it against Duke if they go with one of their gigantic lineups.
    Probably won't even see that with Marques Bolden out.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It will be very hard for other teams to prepare for Tillie as he's pretty much an unknown game wise. (even to us ) Should be VERY interesting. Super happy he's back in the rotation.

NBC reporting Killian will play in tonight's game: https://news.yahoo.com/killian-tilli...184547380.html

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    NBC reporting Killian will play in tonight's game: https://news.yahoo.com/killian-tilli...184547380.html
    “If he feels good after shootaround [he’ll play]” Few said to Rothstein: “That is the plan.”
    No FSU repeats!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I'll take even a less than 100% Tillie. I trust the coaching staff to make the right call on whether tonight or big dance is best time to bring him back. Glad for him to get the chance to test it out.

Makes me nervous as hell, but like you I trust the coaching and medical staffs know what they're doing. I am guessing he's been running in simulated game conditions and they're pretty confident that he's not going to exacerbate his injury.

Makes me nervous as hell, but like you I trust the coaching and medical staffs know what they're doing. I am guessing he's been running in simulated game conditions and they're pretty confident that he's not going to exacerbate his injury.
    Agreed. We are a minimum ten days away from our first NCAA game, and if the staff thought that more rest would be beneficial to his healing process or that the risk tonight is too great, he won't play.