Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's going to be that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    I would agree with this approach. It looks like we have three very good perimeter defenders with Josh, Snacks, and Geno. But there’s no lock down defenders IMO. Maybe they’ll take turns chasing down the other team’s big shooter when we go man-to-man.

Edit: just saw your post, Mick. I forgot about Ayayi, maybe he comes in and helps out for stretches. He could be a lock down guy, but I don’t know enough about him yet. If he’s a Meech clone, I don’t know how much he helps overall.
    I guess it depends if you are facing a Curry clone that requires much double teaming, or perhaps instead of a double team, someone that will to stick on an offensive juggernaught like glue, thus freeing up a defender that is otherwise required to box. Zags don't employ much full court pressure, but there are times that the situation dictates. Great "on ball" defenders often create transition points that doesn't always reveal itself on the stat sheet (forced turnovers). I don't know how much offense Ayayi can add, but I believe Ayayi has significant more length than Meech (though perhaps not quite as fleet footed or has the "change of direction" ability of the NFL cover cornerback that Meech ultimately became). Ayayi seems like he has the ideal physical attributes (quickness, length) to become an elite defender. The big question is how smart is he with the ball in his hands?
    Last edited by MickMick; 10-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Over the years I have really admired the efforts of those that have stepped up to take the role of being the shut down guy . I feel like it was a brotherhood passed down by example. Most sacrifice the offence they were use to be known for growing up to play a role position for the team. I feel Ayayi may be the next. He had the opportunity to watch Melson last season and it may be the way to get him in the game more often taking him to the next level. Kyle Dranginis found that this was his biggest value filling in for GB and then Melson continued on. Not every game needs this defensive strategy however when needed it's been a key to the Zags success like last year shutting down Hass when he got hot basically taking him out of the game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not sure I agree with Flex’s assertion that “the” stopper as to be a starter. We had that young man who came off the bench several years ago who played that role. I cannot remember his name (old man’s disease) but he was a transfer in (I think) from UW. He was the one who got hurt in the swimming pool at Maui and could not play. Anyway, he was terrific and a total lock down defender and he didn’t start. (Somebody remind me of his name please. I’m truly embarrassed.)

Melson mostly played the 3 his last two years, and yes, his junior year he did come in off the bench. Most often he guarded the 3 position, which is often the best offensive player on the team. And they are usually 6'5" or 6'6". Melson was tough enough to handle the job. Keeping a good 3 off the offensive boards is essential. I would like to see what Rui can do. He is a fantastic shot blocker, a very good rebounder, and is quick on his first step which would be essential. I almost forgot he has really long arms to block shots and intimate a good shooter on every shot he takes. I kind of doubt we have anyone like Melson. I think the closet guard type of guy would be Ayayi.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Not sure I agree with Flex’s assertion that “the” stopper as to be a starter. We had that young man who came off the bench several years ago who played that role. I cannot remember his name (old man’s disease) but he was a transfer in (I think) from UW. He was the one who got hurt in the swimming pool at Maui and could not play. Anyway, he was terrific and a total lock down defender and he didn’t start. (Somebody remind me of his name please. I’m truly embarrassed.)
    Erroll Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Over the years I have really admired the efforts of those that have stepped up to take the role of being the shut down guy . I feel like it was a brotherhood passed down by example. Most sacrifice the offence they were use to be known for growing up to play a role position for the team. I feel Ayayi may be the next. He had the opportunity to watch Melson last season and it may be the way to get him in the game more often taking him to the next level. Kyle Dranginis found that this was his biggest value filling in for GB and then Melson continued on. Not every game needs this defensive strategy however when needed it's been a key to the Zags success like last year shutting down Hass when he got hot basically taking him out of the game.

Great post.

Gary Bell will always be one of my favorite Zags. Playing with Pangos who got all the press, Bell quietly denied the ball to whomever. Coach said of Gary in a Coach K Show interview: "I wanna coach him the rest of my life, never had a bad practice."

Oh and sticking the jumper at Ok State to win was okay, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Great post.

Gary Bell will always be one of my favorite Zags. Playing with Pangos who got all the press, Bell quietly denied the ball to whomever. Coach said of Gary in a Coach K Show interview: "I wanna coach him the rest of my life, never had a bad practice."

Oh and sticking the jumper at Ok State to win was okay, too.
    Thanks for bringing up that memory. We had a great view of Gary's dagger...Mike Hart set a perfect screen for him. Even at 80% full, Iba was L-O-U-D.

Still have the album posted of most of the pictures we took with the players after the game. The picture with Kelly is a kick...Nate was about 5 feet tall back then, if that. He's now about 6'1".

Default Thank you JP

Yes JP, it was Errol Knight. He came off the bench as a lockdown defender and it seemed to work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Yes JP, it was Errol Knight. He came off the bench as a lockdown defender and it seemed to work pretty well.
    Pretty well but not Final Four well. As mentioned earlier in this thread, biggest difference in Zags’ unprecedented success the past few years relative to the previous 15 seasons has been elite team D complementing the always elite Offense.

Bringing your best defender in off the bench is not ideal. I’d much rather have him on the court from the get go to immediately disrupt opponent’s offense and set the tone w their top scorer. Slowing down an elite offensive player who has already knocked down shots and gotten into a groove is much more difficult than crawling into his shorts from tip-off and never letting him get his confidence flowing.

Are Zags gonna start their three best bigs (Tillie, Clarke, Rui) w Rui playing the wing, or do they start their best defender Jeremy Jones and bring Clarke off the bench....or can Rui be the best defender too?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

"Are Zags gonna start their three best bigs (Tillie, Clarke, Rui) w Rui playing the wing, or do they start their best defender Jeremy Jones and bring Clarke off the bench....or can Rui be the best defender too?"

Definitely starting ( Tillie, Clarke, Rui) Jones is a good fill in for covering foul trouble and hopefully playing more along with Filip rotating in. Clarke is going to be a beast defending the rim, maybe the best shot blocked we have had on the floor. Last year Jones still seemed a little lost when playing extended minutes. I hope he has an impact this season rotating in as a regular shift player.

Over the years Gonzaga has always had that one guy that can shut down the hot outside shooter when needed. In recent years we have been blessed with Gary Bell, Kyle Dranginis, and Silas Melson. Each following the others example on how to shut a player down. Basically staying in the pocket of who they are responsible for and never giveing them a chance to get a look. It never shows up in the paper but is what can make the difference between a win or loss. Who is going to step up and be that guy this season?

This is a topic I started in October. I was concerned then and now. After Admiral Schofield had his way in the loss to Tennessee I still wonder who can step up and stop the hot player. Hopefully Few has a plan after we are all healthy and playing with a full rotation. It's not just a missed assignment by Rui it's a missed strategy by Few letting Schofield get the ball. I'm not trying to rehash the Tennessee game just hoping to get a possible answer to this situation for future games.

This is a topic I started in October. I was concerned then and now. After Admiral Schofield had his way in the loss to Tennessee I still wonder who can step up and stop the hot player. Hopefully Few has a plan after we are all healthy and playing with a full rotation. It's not just a missed assignment by Rui it's a missed strategy by Few letting Schofield get the ball. I'm not trying to rehash the Tennessee game just hoping to get a possible answer to this situation for future games.

not sure about that player on this team, a GBj or Silas, or Hart off the bench, or some other Zags past, the stopper guy. maybe JJ, maybe Geno when he returns. Zach doesn't suck at it

i would have preferred to see jeremy jones on schofield instead rui, but few may be thinking long-term as they have been trying to get rui to step up on defense...the staff might view this as just another teaching/learning experience...he certainly has the tools to be an excellent defender instead of the below average one currently. any improvement over the season would certainly boost his draft prospects as well as zag march prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i would have preferred to see jeremy jones on schofield instead rui, but few may be thinking long-term as they have been trying to get rui to step up on defense...the staff might view this as just another teaching/learning experience...he certainly has the tools to be an excellent defender instead of the below average one currently. any improvement over the season would certainly boost his draft prospects as well as zag march prospects.
    Me too with Jones. We shall see in today's game if losing to Tennessee had a positive impact on the team (even with finals week sandwiched in between games). All of the Zags could step up their defense - especially on the outside. Beating UNC @ UNC isn't going to be easy. Zags will have to play their best game without both KT and GC in order to do it. Every player is going to have to step it up on D.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I'm revisiting a topic I brought up in October last year. Before the start of the season I was feeling last years team lacked a shutdown defensive player who could stop a teams hot shooting perimeter player. I was hoping Geno could but he struggled staying out of foul trouble and running the offence.

With Ryan Woolridge and Admon Gilder two tough, defensive minded, experienced players who love to slash and pass the ball hopfully perimeter defense will not be a factor.

I'm really excited about this upcoming season !!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why don't you start a new thread about this topic for next season?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!