Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's going to be that guy?

Default Who's going to be that guy?

Over the years Gonzaga has always had that one guy that can shut down the hot outside shooter when needed. In recent years we have been blessed with Gary Bell, Kyle Dranginis, and Silas Melson. Each following the others example on how to shut a player down. Basically staying in the pocket of who they are responsible for and never giveing them a chance to get a look. It never shows up in the paper but is what can make the difference between a win or loss. Who is going to step up and be that guy this season?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chasing guys around screens all game is one of the most physically and mentally draining jobs on the court. Similar to how being a catcher in baseball takes its toll and lowers offensive production, I have to think GBJ and Melson would have been bigger scorers if they weren't ask to work so hard on defense.

Anyhow, to answer the OP, if it's a starter, it has to be Norvell. I don't see Rui chasing guys around like that. On the bench there is a long list of candidates, and I think Ayayi's length and speed, as well as his position as a guy who has been with the team and is poised to make his mark on the program now, make him my early favorite for that role.

I know who I would like it to be.....Kispert…..he has the size and the strength and the attitude to be a glue guy like Mike..

And if can do it, it will be difficult to keep him off the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I know who I would like it to be.....Kispert…..he has the size and the strength and the attitude to be a glue guy like Mike..

And if can do it, it will be difficult to keep him off the floor...
    I love that he is willing and able to grab offensive rebounds. He had some good ones last year.

Norvell. He has a nose for the ball like Draino, gets lots of deflections, makes some great defensive plays, can take it to the hoop, makes great passes, and will lead the team in scoring. Very special player.

imo, crandall.

I don’t think it is CK. I think he has a hard time keeping really fast wings in front of him. And I don’t think we have a lock down defender like some in the past. But how committed this team is overall to defense will have a lot to do with how deep they go. They have the athleticism but will they commit themselves to it?

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I don’t think it is CK. I think he has a hard time keeping really fast wings in front of him. And I don’t think we have a lock down defender like some in the past. But how committed this team is overall to defense will have a lot to do with how deep they go. They have the athleticism but will they commit themselves to it?
    We'll find out when they get to Maui. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Just a question to BB people:

Can "that guy" be someone coming off the bench?

If we're talking about a shut down defender against another team's best player, doesn't that mean it has to be someone on the floor all the time for us?

Are we overlooking Rui's potential? He's such an athlete and has size, strength. Is he capable of guarding an SG or Wing?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Crandall, Norvell, and Perkins. This is Perkins time to shine, so it wouldn't surprise me if his defense stepped up a notch or two this year.

I don’t think Norvell. Don’t want to tire out a true shooter.

Reports seem to be that Crandall is a really, really good defender.

Gonzaga is going to have so much size and shotblocking in the middle that it's going to help out the perimeter defenders a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Crandall, Norvell, and Perkins. This is Perkins time to shine, so it wouldn't surprise me if his defense stepped up a notch or two this year.
    Agree with MC on Norvell. Snacks will be an important part of team D, but it will be any of the three playing point with help coming quickly from the paint on the dribble drives.

Would be interesting to compare this team's overall length and quickness with previous versions.

Go ZAGS!

Perks for sure --- very experienced and ready
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

If we're talking about a shut down defender against another team's best player, doesn't that mean it has to be someone on the floor all the time for us?

Are we overlooking Rui's potential? He's such an athlete and has size, strength. Is he capable of guarding an SG or Wing?

Dixie, I would hope it wouldn’t be Rui as I think him and Zach will be our go-to-guys and playing touch “D” might well generate fouls and you wouldn’t want your gtg’s in foul trouble and on the bench...just my take and opinion

For some reason I see Kispert as this
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Crandall + Jeremy Jones at certain times. Clarke a lockdown on elite step out shooting bigs

I like what Crandall brings to the table.

G-Muhneyy

@genocrandall
    33m33 minutes ago
    More
    I’m so blessed man, and so fortunate for everything God’s grace has done for me. The good, the bad, the ups and downs, everything that has led me to where i am and who i am today.

I’m just extremely grateful right now and felt like i needed to put that out into the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

The defensive stalwart who can lock down opponent’s best player - or at minimum make him work very very hard - must be a starter like Bell and Melson were. He sets the tone from opening tip and goal is not to let their star offensive player get rolling early.

I actually think it has to be Perkins or Norvell but that would be asking your starting PG or top 2 scorer to expend an awful lot of energy on both ends. I also worry about Perkins fighting through screens and absorbing hits to his surgically repaired shoulder.

This is a great question for this team to address. Who dares to step up, likely sacrifice offensive output for sake of defensive pride and be the blue collar, hard hat starter every great team needs on the court at tip-off?

Clarke seems a great candidate but opponent’s top scorer typically a perimeter player and Zags need his size on their bigs.

Maybe you’re right Dixie: Rui.....assuming he starts at the 3 w Clarke and Tillie anchoring the D down low?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    The defensive stalwart who can lock down opponent’s best player - or at minimum make him work very very hard - must be a starter like Bell and Melson were. He sets the tone from opening tip and goal is not to let their star offensive player get rolling early.

I actually think it has to be Perkins or Norvell but that would be asking your starting PG or top 2 scorer to expend an awful lot of energy on both ends. I also worry about Perkins fighting through screens and absorbing hits to his surgically repaired shoulder.

This is a great question for this team to address. Who dares to step up, likely sacrifice offensive output for sake of defensive pride and be the blue collar, hard hat starter every great team needs on the court at tip-off?

Clarke seems a great candidate but opponent’s top scorer typically a perimeter player and Zags need his size on their bigs.

Maybe you’re right Dixie: Rui.....assuming he starts at the 3 w Clarke and Tillie anchoring the D down low?
    Good thoughts, thx.

The offensive firepower of this team makes it feel a little like the Ammo approach to defense, score ten more points than defender.

This team seems built to score, but we never got real real good until we started approaching the top in defense.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Maybe we see a lot of zone this year

Maybe another question... does a championship caliber team need a lock down defender? Lacking one such lock down defender, can a strong commitment to team lock down D produce (mostly) the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Reports seem to be that Crandall is a really, really good defender.
    He is a crafty defender, he's averaged over 2 steals per game since he was a Freshman. Pretty impressive stat. While steals don't tell the whole story, neither GBJ or Silas averaged (1) steal per game in their respective careers.

Geno knows how to play the ball, passing lanes, and angles. A nose for the ball, that's for certain. He had numerous games of 5 or 6 steals in a game.

However, Crandall is 170lbs, and he is often overpowered by bigger/strong guards at dribble-drive. This was evident vs their game against Creighton, Arizona, etc. Josh Perkins is slight as well, yet still has 20-25 lbs on Crandall, thicker body and a little taller, while Crandall is lean top to bottom.

His lack of strength creates some issues, yet he makes up for it by using his wits and savvy ability by poking balls away, denying passes, sagging off, anticipating, etc. Maybe more creative than elite, but his all-around skills make him an intriguing prospect -- I do know the coaches have been excited for his "does everything well" versatility.

Defense comes in many forms. With respect to “on ball defender”, I think the young French guard has the most upside.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Maybe we see a lot of zone this year
    I would agree with this approach. It looks like we have three very good perimeter defenders with Josh, Snacks, and Geno. But there’s no lock down defenders IMO. Maybe they’ll take turns chasing down the other team’s big shooter when we go man-to-man.

Edit: just saw your post, Mick. I forgot about Ayayi, maybe he comes in and helps out for stretches. He could be a lock down guy, but I don’t know enough about him yet. If he’s a Meech clone, I don’t know how much he helps overall.
    Last edited by NotoriousZ; 10-24-2018 at 07:39 AM.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!