Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington crushed Nevada today in Reno

Default Washington crushed Nevada today in Reno

They won by 20. Pretty shocking results, even if it is an exhibition.

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/...bition/&page=2

When do we play MSU?
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    When do we play MSU?
    Next Saturday 10/27
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Next Saturday 10/27
    But I want gratification NOW!!!!
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Will there be similar reports?

Shocking result. Now that Romar is gone I'm totally OK with the Dawgs getting good again. I'd LOVE the UW/Zags game to become one of the huge national early-season games on an annual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This was an actual exhibition game with money going to charity, not a scrimmage.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Very doubtful. This was a charity exhibition.

Will probably hear some details ala the SMC/Stanford tweet (eg. "SMC beats stanford fairly easily") but there wont be any boxscores or anything of that sort.

From Twitter:
    Percy Allen
    ‏Verified account @percyallen
    53m53 minutes ago

Behind a big second-half rally, @UW_MBB captures a 91-73 exhibition win at Nevada. Jaylen Nowell finished with 26 points on 12-of-15 shooting. David Crisp added 20, Matisse Thybulle 17 and Dominic Green 12. Noah Dickerson did not play.

Not that shocking really. Washington returns their entire team, while Nevada has a ton of new guys. It's gonna take them a while to integrate and get on the same page.

Washington was missing Dickerson (2nd leading scorer) and leading rebounder for them. They are going to be a handful.

Washington’s always had very good talent but they had a lousy coach who recruited well. Now UW has a good coach who teaches good defense . They won’t be a walkover as in prior years. Nowell is a very talented guard.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not that shocking really. Washington returns their entire team, while Nevada has a ton of new guys. It's gonna take them a while to integrate and get on the same page.
    I know playing the contrarian is kind of your thing but yes it was shocking because not only was the game in Reno but Washington beat them by 20 points and Nevada is a top 10 preseason team. In Seattle and a three or four point victory for Washington, not shocking. A 20 point blowout in Reno, shocking. Plus Noah Dickerson didn't even play, which makes it even more shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I know playing the contrarian is kind of your thing but yes it was shocking because not only was the game in Reno but Washington beat them by 20 points and Nevada is a top 10 preseason team. In Seattle and a three or four point victory for Washington, not shocking. A 20 point blowout in Reno, shocking. Plus Noah Dickerson didn't even play, which makes it even more shocking.
    Yep. Particularly if it was more than a glorified scrimmage - and it sounds like it was.

Shocked me.... based upon the pre season hype....especially at home..... and giving up that many points....not good..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Shocked me.... based upon the pre season hype....especially at home..... and giving up that many points....not good..
    Respectfully disagree. If any of GU's year to year competition is going to get better I'd prefer it to be the WA teams we play. UW torching Nevada by 20 is good news in my book. I'd like to see GU play a better Cougar team too. We'll be playing Central WA a week from Thursday. It'd be fun if that game was competitive as well.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Respectfully disagree. If any of GU's year to year competition is going to get better I'd prefer it to be the WA teams we play. UW torching Nevada by 20 is good news in my book. I'd like to see GU play a better Cougar team too. We'll be playing Central WA a week from Thursday. It'd be fun if that game was competitive as well.
    Exactly how I feel.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Pepperdine is doooooomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I said I was shocked, not disappointed ...in fact I am pleased....of course it is good news...

Default Game story in today's The Seattle Times

IIRC, isn't the new UW coach a branch off the Jim Boehime / Syracuse Zone coaching tree? Experienced teams have a hard time playing against that zone at the end of the season when everything is clicking. I'm not putting too much into a team that's never played together except a few weeks of practice getting drubbed

I mentioned Washington being a force to be reckoned with this season and most blew it off as another Pac 12 NIT level team. Teams may have a tough time with the zone but what about the offense they show. Putting up 90 isn't easy when slowing down the game with the zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    IIRC, isn't the new UW coach a branch off the Jim Boehime / Syracuse Zone coaching tree? Experienced teams have a hard time playing against that zone at the end of the season when everything is clicking. I'm not putting too much into a team that's never played together except a few weeks of practice getting drubbed
    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    At the time I posted, I wasn't aware of Dickerson, so that certainly makes it more surprising.

I wasn't trying to "play the contrarian". Just pointing out that Nevada is integrating six new players, while Washington returns their team intact. And they've had what, a week of practice? My point was that it often takes time for a bunch of new players to mesh. Washington is probably a lot closer to their ceiling at this point in the year than Nevada is.

Another factor is that a lot of teams struggle w/ that 2-3 zone, and more so w/ little practice time. UW beat Kansas at Kansas last year in the nonconference, and Kansas looked really befuddled.

Washington also, per today's paper, made 11 of 22 3's in that game, something they won't do often.
    A little hot shooting w/ the easy 3 pt line can turn almost any game into a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I mentioned Washington being a force to be reckoned with this season and most blew it off as another Pac 12 NIT level team. Teams may have a tough time with the zone but what about the offense they show. Putting up 90 isn't easy when slowing down the game with the zone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    My sense is that most people here understand that UW will be much improved and competitive against us.

IMO the better the WA schools, the more benefit to us. Makes our schedule better and creates buzz.

It makes perfect sense that Nevada would struggle a couple weeks in with all the new faces. But, as noted, this Nevada team has projected to have FF talent.

Speaks to how well coached the UW is.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Andy Katz thinks UW is going to win the Pac 12. I expect them to be a NCAA tournament team.

I have always felt that Nevada is a bit overrated. Cincinnati was a better team who played like they hadn't played in the NCAA tournament and had any kind of success in it the past 2 gazillion years. I am a bit mistrustful of teams who make a living out of staging comebacks.