Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washington crushed Nevada today in Reno

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I mentioned Washington being a force to be reckoned with this season and most blew it off as another Pac 12 NIT level team. Teams may have a tough time with the zone but what about the offense they show. Putting up 90 isn't easy when slowing down the game with the zone.
    and funny how Zags put up 97 against UW in Seattle last year. )
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    and funny how Zags put up 97 against UW in Seattle last year. )
    Definitely not the same team as last year. Much more experience working with the zone and the 2nd year for Hopkins finding ways to utilize the talent on the team. I think the zags have the team to beat the zone but can't be cold shooting the three and taking quick shots. Rui and Tillie and Clarke are the key to breaking the zone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

While each coach wants to win in these secret scrimmages, we don't know what the coaches were working on. To proclaim the final score as the sole factor in deciding which team is better, that disregards the rest of the scrimmage.

I don't doubt UW will be a good team, probably better than last year and it COULD be a tough game for Gonzaga. We will have to see them in an actual game against a quality opponent before being able to make any true determination.

Reno also will be a tough opponent, but likewise, until they actually play in a real game against a legitimate opponent, no one will really know. As has been pointed out, Reno brought back the nucleus of last years team and added 6 (?) transfers, all of them the leading scorers off of their teams last year. That would be hard to integrate into a cohesive team right there. I suspect that is what they were focusing on.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Will, I don't believe this was a secret scrimmage....it was a exhibition game and you can bet both teams were trying to win….Nevada got it handed to them... period ….no excuses..... for a team projected to be in the top ten...and giving up 52 points in the second half to a team without their best player...not good..

Nevada has one of the worst defenses last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Will, I don't believe this was a secret scrimmage....it was a exhibition game and you can bet both teams were trying to win….Nevada got it handed to them... period ….no excuses..... for a team projected to be in the top ten...and giving up 52 points in the second half to a team without their best player...not good..
    My bad. I just didn't expect an exhibition from 2 name schools this early.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

JMHO... I take all of the "Exhibition"/Secret Scrimmages with a grain of salt... big big grains of salt. Don't think it is a good assessment of either Nevada nor UW.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I do...you can bet that if a top ten Gonzaga mbb team was playing a top 25 school from a power conference in the Kennel in front of a home crowd....they would be playing to win...exhibition or not....and if they had lost by 25 there would be a lot of shocked fans and media...

I suspect the poll voters will consider this the next time they vote...

I do...you can bet that if a top ten Gonzaga mbb team was playing a top 25 school from a power conference in the Kennel in front of a home crowd....they would be playing to win...exhibition or not....and if they had lost by 25 there would be a lot of shocked fans and media...

I suspect the poll voters will consider this the next time they vote...
    I just don't see it.

If this was GU and Few wanted to see how Crandel can run the point, or Snacks, then that is what these are for. Play with the lineups. Did you see the part where the Nevada coach barely played his starters in the 2nd half and UW kept theirs in? Nevada didn't play this game to win. They have so many new pieces that they got a good sample of what works and what doesnt. UW pretty much knows what it has at this point, thus leaving in the starters.

Because I live in Seattle, since Romar left I have been following Hopkins and the Husky mens basketball. He was coach of the year in the Pac12 last season for a reason.
    I will admit I think I warned the game with UW could find them surprisingly tough, and that warning turned out a false alarm. But they are back with same best players (like us except for Williams) , some recruiting to their style of play, and will be much more familiar with the complex defense Hopkins likes. I expect the game will be competitive, this year, and root for them when they don't play the zags.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    I just don't see it.

If this was GU and Few wanted to see how Crandel can run the point, or Snacks, then that is what these are for. Play with the lineups. Did you see the part where the Nevada coach barely played his starters in the 2nd half and UW kept theirs in? Nevada didn't play this game to win. They have so many new pieces that they got a good sample of what works and what doesnt. UW pretty much knows what it has at this point, thus leaving in the starters.
    This.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Because I live in Seattle, since Romar left I have been following Hopkins and the Husky mens basketball. He was coach of the year in the Pac12 last season for a reason.
    I will admit I think I warned the game with UW could find them surprisingly tough, and that warning turned out a false alarm. But they are back with same best players (like us except for Williams) , some recruiting to their style of play, and will be much more familiar with the complex defense Hopkins likes. I expect the game will be competitive, this year, and root for them when they don't play the zags.
    I’m a Hopkins fan since being born and raised in Syracuse NY and following his career as a player and assistant coach then coach in waiting there under Boeheim. Thrilled he is having success in his first head coaching gig and agree Huskies will be much better this year. Having said that, this year’s Zags are particularly well suited to crack the code on the 2-3 zone:
    1) Great outside shooting (Perkins, Norvell, Tillie, Kispert, Crandall)
    2) Athletic, quick, lengthy bigs who can take advantage of a zone’s Achilles heel: offensive boards (Clarke, Tillie, Rui)
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

“I thought it was the worst home performance, whether it’s an exhibition or any form of competition, that we’ve played since I’ve been here,” Musselman said. “We have a lot of work to do between now and (the regular-season opener vs. BYU).

“Last year, we played an entire season where we did not lose by double-digits until the conference tournament; tonight, we lose by 18 at home and it’s the first time they’ve ever put a uniform on.”

“We might play zone,” said Musselman, whose teams are known for doing pretty much the opposite of that. “We just can’t guard anybody … we can’t guard people; we’re really bad, defensively. So it’s our job as a coaching staff to try to figure it out. Because our defense is abysmal.

“To me, I’ve got to go home and talk to my dog and ask him how we should play defense; maybe we’ll play a zone.”
    How do you really feel, Coach ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This...at least he found out what doesn't work....the offense …..the defense.....but it doesn't matter...his dog was happy to see him..

BYU must be looking forward to the game in Reno...Tuesday, Nov. 6th 8:00 PST on CBS...

expectorate everywhere
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Love this quote from Musselman; it’s funny and pretty sure the exhibition served it’s purpose for him. He now has his team full of talent, preseason hype, high expectations and new players exactly where he needs them: humbled and receptive to coaching. Pretty sure they will be ready for BYU, very ready.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

This...at least he found out what doesn't work....the offense …..the defense.....but it doesn't matter...his dog was happy to see him..

BYU must be looking forward to the game in Reno...Tuesday, Nov. 6th 8:00 PST on CBS...

Can pretty much guarantee the dog will give him a look regarding should he zone; "Oh come on. Your guys just couldn't be bothered. Not my problem."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Rex Walters arrival on the UNR staff is duly noted. . .

Some folks like Norlander are somehow forgetting that Nevada finished #108 in defensive efficiency last season at kenpom.com, and that was after the NCAA tournament run. Cincinnati's inept offense played a big part in allowing NV to make the 2nd round. In the words of one of Norlander's colleagues, "Nevada doesn't have one sure fire NBA player. To rank them as a preseason #1 team would be historically unprecedented." That was in reference to Norlander saying that Nevada was barely behind Kansas and GU in his preseason poll.

Not sure how Nevada will fare, but UW is flush with very good players who seem to love playing for their hyper-energetic and successful coach. The UW-GU game promises to be college basketball at its best.