Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Realistic Season Record

Default Most Realistic Season Record

Would love to hear thoughts on "most realistic" - not hoped for, not "capable," just most likely.

With a tough schedule on the high end, 2 tough ones in Maui, @UNC, @Creighton, Tenn in AZ, UW, it seems to me that most realistic is we drop 2 out of the 5, which I believe is outstanding.

And realistically drop one WCC, in reg season, win WCC tourney.

2 OOC losses with quality wins, and one WCC loss, seems like we're last One seed or first couple of 2 seeds. 2 losses seems like lock for One seed.

Just my read.

Would like others' views.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I have a feeling that our seed may reflect our loss record - unless its just the ooc against the tough ones you listed and we run through the WCC untouched, then it will be 1 less than our loss record (maxed out at 1 obviously).
    GO ZAGS!!!

Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I think to get a 1 seed we need to go 2 of 3 against UNC, Tenn, hopefully Duke in Maui. I like our chances in all the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Lose two in OOC... my gut says @UNC and championship game in Maui against Duke. Run the table against WCC
    That would be an unbelievable accomplishment.

I think we're more likely to win Maui than win @UNC, and I think we're likely to drop one against Tenn or Creighton, two games away from the Kennel against two better than decent teams (Creighton not as good as Tenn). Seems like Duke has to get through a very good Aubun team and may be a little more spent prior to any final.

Lots of reason for optimism. I think we should be much better than most teams early in the year bc of our experience.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    The Zags, as a program, need to get over the Duke hump. Do that and its smooth sailing the rest of the way IMO.

5 losses
    Sweet Sixteen

Nigel made all the difference.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    5 losses
    Sweet Sixteen

Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......

5 losses
    Sweet Sixteen

I don't gamble, but I would bet a ton of money they come in with under 5 losses.

Never deny NWG made a huge difference, but this team has 3 - in my mind - future NBA players, minimum - and that, too, makes a big difference. Plus experience.

We'll see.
    Mark Twain.

Best Zag team on paper ever.....highest pre season ranking ever....toughest schedule ever

2 losses in season and 0 losses in post season

5 losses
    Sweet Sixteen

I feel reaching the Sweet Sixteen with last years team amounted to a realistically successful year. It's hard to consider any season ending with a Sweet Sixteen run to be a failure. But, I will be personally crushed if this years team does not at least make the EE, and preferably the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Sounds reasonable...it is very tough to win against good teams on the road....but, with some luck in the Krapshoot….

they could advance to the EE...... a lot depending on the matchups of course...if they can get to the EE, they are playing on house money and anything can happen....

In any case..... for me it is the journey..... and I will be grateful to see and enjoy every game....

If they run the table, it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming....and if they get beat in the first round.....it will be Spring and the birds will be singing and the wildflowers will be blooming......
    Nothing like a Zag lowering their expectations so they don’t end up hurt in the end. It’s all good. I enjoy the journey as well but expect the Zags to live up to their expectations. Just like the players and staff does.

Lots depends on how productive Geno is. BZs 5 losses is a bit generous. Maui and the December work will tell the tale IMO. 2 losses is what I’m thinking but if we exist December with no losses, I’m thinking we run the table. As for the Tournament, I’d there are no injuries, Josh may well lead us to a FF. BZs right though, we need a Nigel performer to get us to the FF.

Win Maui. Win at UNC. Experienced Zag team outperforms preconference play of youthful, talented teams.

Lose to Tennessee (the Admiral goes off, the referees kill us). Lose at home to BYU (Holiday season letdown against inspired team with a tournament bid on the line).

#1 seed. Lose the NCAA tournament regional final (The field is loaded this year).
    I miss Mike Hart

I'm going to go with 1 loss, but not in the post season.

42-0

Is there anyone here clever enough to bump a similar prediction thread from last year ??? Or some prior recent year...

A max of three loses all year

I estimating 3 losses before the Big Dance starts

1 loss is realistic to me.

I didnt see this. Oops made my normal pre season thread. My bad.
    Love the zags for life

expect to lose 3 before march madness...but wouldn't be shocked with a stumble somewhere in conference to make it 4...

postseason, expect seed to be same as number of losses...sweet sixteen and anything after is gravy.

5 losses
    Sweet Sixteen

The main reason I joined this board years ago was to ask BobZag questions in hopes of inside information.

Following the ridiculous (and unexplained) Geno post, followed by this... not so much.

I don't care how many games the Zags lose in the regular season. It will definitely be less than 5.

Geno cuts down the net in Sota. Clutches up throughout the tournament, which unfortunately is something Nigel wasn't able to do.

The part I dislike the most about this post is that I have to point out unflattering facts about a guy that is one of my favorite Zags of all time.

But the fact is, Nigel shot 33/94 (35%) in the 2017 NCAA Tournament. He also missed 11 free throws.

TWO 5th year senior point guards more than make up for Nigel. They will play with fantastic effort, unmatched competitiveness, fearless shot making, unrelenting defense, and extremely communicative leadership.

If I were going to bet on the number of losses I would likely say somewhere in the 4-5 range simply because of the challenging schedule. I think this team will be one that gets better as the season progresses and they get used to playing with the guys taking on big roles this year. Thinking once the rotations get set with Clarke and Crandall added to Perkins, Norvell, Tillie, and Rui...this will be a very tough team to beat. That doesn't even account for Kispert, who I think will take a nice step this year.

Default LUCK

I think with this team the EE is the expectation. Beyond that, IMHO, Luck plays such a huge role in it. Luck with your bracket, the ball bouncing your way late, getting a call when an opposing player is out of bounds, etc. Whatever it is but at some point you have to have a little luck!

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I feel reaching the Sweet Sixteen with last years team amounted to a realistically successful year. It's hard to consider any season ending with a Sweet Sixteen run to be a failure. But, I will be personally crushed if this years team does not at least make the EE, and preferably the Final Four.