Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA G-league to give 125k contracts to top high schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    It should be way more money, something like $3-$5 million
    you should get agents license. D
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    you should get agents license. D
    That’s how much these guys would get in Free market, probably more
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I'm not so sure - unlimited practice time, practice and game play against way better competition, learning NBA game style, structure, coaching. Players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likeness and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies. They can get much more than $125K and can do it in the light of day. I can see a good chunk of the top 5 or 10 prospects going this route instead of the NCAA - most of these guys don't care about a national title, the $$$ is the goal and this gets them there a year early and probably better prepares them for the NBA.

DeAndre Ayton signed a deal with Puma in June this year. The terms of Ayton's contract with Puma is unknown, but The Athletic reported that Ayton is expected to have the largest shoe deal since Kevin Durant's contract with Nike in 2014, which was listed between $265 million and $285 million. Whatever it is, I am guessing Ayton will be making way over $5MM a year on endorsements. Why not get that a year earlier? You'd think the top 5 prospects could all get at least $1MM-$2MM a year in endorsements even while in the G-League. Maybe way more..... and if so, you may see guys in the 10-20 range being able to get a few hundred thousand in endorsements, it would be a very serious draw.

Here is a Forbes article on the top players for endorsement is in the NBA. 12 guys are getting more than $12MM a year in endorsements. Yes these are the superstars but it trickles down. It is pretty easy to see people taking multiple hundred thousand dollar endorsement bets on potential lottery picks.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#293bed951755

1. Ayton heightened his endorsement value greatly by being the most talked about talent in college basketball last season. He was NOT just a number on a recruiting chart which he would have been as a G League player last season. No one cares about that league. The G League is not watched, and this new offer isn't going to make the G-League that much more interesting for basketball fans. Most serious fans would rather watch high level college ball. Fans like me got to see Ayton in person and on TV screens. Millions of people got to see him who might not have otherwise. If anything, it made NBA fans more excited about what his future in the NBA would be and could be because they saw him in action. This level of exposure matters to most top flight prep talents.

2. I do not believe that unlimited practice makes a basketball player better, much in the same way that my high school baseball coach told me that swinging the bat one thousand times a day wouldn’t make me better. It would lead to me being more lazy about technique through tiredness and so on. The players need time for recovery and having a life. As discussed in many articles, the traveling conditions (planes, hotels, food) are much better at high level college programs than with many of these G-League teams. Having better creature comforts will also dissuade most top prep guys from going G-League.

3. I believe and will believe until I die that the top D-1 college coaches in this nation are the best teachers of the game of basketball, at any level, including the NBA. I would take Coach Few over any coach in the G-League because he is under big time pressure to win games at a high level with players who, for the most part, won’t be pros. If they can turn non-pros into guys who can compete for national titles, what they can do for a guy like Durant speaks for itself. I think most of the high level prep players, with all the connections they have, know this. They know that guys like Few, Roy Williams, Coach K are teachers. High school players often enter college not even knowing what a down screen is. I would rather learn it from Few. Also, many of the G-League coaches are failed NBA coaches, and I'm telling you, the NBA is not about instruction: it is about one thing and one thing only.....preparing for the next game. I've known former NBA players who've asked for help with their shooting and were told by NBA assistants: "Deal with it yourself, we have a game to prepare for. This isn't grade school." And these players had multi-million buck contracts.....including a former Gonzaga player. So they had to fly out their dad, fly out their high school coach. The NBA dudes are GREAT at scouting opponents and building game plans. Don't trust them as game teachers because they don't do it enough.

4. I feel that the single greatest development tool in the game of basketball at any level is first, the NCAA tournament, but also playing several road games in front of 17,000 people who hate you in games who outcome greatly matters to millions of people. More people watch the NCAA tournament than the NBA playoffs. Even in losing, the tournament is an uplifting experience. It teaches players how to be champions more than playing against more talented players. Trust me, a guy like Coach K can construct a defense to make things very, very hard on a future lottery pick from UNC. Even better, he can do it in front of the Cameron Crazies in games that really, really matter to many fans, including sports betters. The pressure is something you are not never exposed to in the G-League. The goal is to get out. I have been to G-League games, and the environments are awful. No one has any personal identification with the teams because the players are being constantly brought up and down in a sport that is far more team oriented than baseball which is basically an individual game between the pitcher and hitter (with a few team work plays like relays, etc.). The G-League encourages selfishness by its very set up. Basketball is a cooperative, team sport. The teams need to stay together for the players to get better. I just feel the majority of the top players would rather play in the Carolina/Duke rivalry or in an elite 8 game than anything that they do in a meaningless G-League game that yields them little to no exposure.

5. I am all in favor of the NBA offering this opportunity to players, and open to dumping the NBA age limit so long as they get rid of the rookie salary cap which is the worst decision any pro sports league has implemented in the past 25 years. The salary cap is 100x more anti-capitalistic than the age limit. It keeps the best, most prepared players from getting the vast majority of the salary money, and it forces NBA teams into paying guys millions who don't deserve it. But like Adrian and countless other writers have written, I would be shocked if we see many of the top 15 players take up on this G-League offer, and if they take up on it, I feel it will be because of financial hardship, NCAA eligibility issues, or grades like Brandon Jennings.

BTW – Kevin Durant loved college basketball. He has said many times that if it weren’t for financial considerations, he would have stayed at Texas. I believe him, because he continues to take classes there and has made donations to the school. He still feels Rick Barnes was the best teacher of the game he’s ever played under. That includes Steve Kerr and his assistants. That one year at Texas made that much of a difference. Especially on defense. Moreover, Texas' sports and conditioning program is considered to be better than most ones in professional athletics. It's certainly the best in college athletics.

Seems to me that one way to alleviate the concerns while respecting the players' rights to individual freedom in their persons is to go with the small stipend for play (basically a work study job, albeit a good paying one) but also allow the players to earn whatever endorsement dollars they are offered.

If the coaches/schools gave up their right to endorsement dollars to keep the NCAA "amateur" then the players would have little argument as it is consistent. Given that the coaches/schools cash in, it is just plain greedy in my mind to prohibit a player who would otherwise be free to simply mirror the coaches' opportunities.

Course, open it to players means likely less to coaches, and that's the rub.

So much money passing hands, to leave the players out on purely private value is just so horribly one-sided it approaches shameful.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.