Thread: RIP Paul Allen

Default RIP Paul Allen

Dan Dickau

@dandickau21
    17m17 minutes ago
    More
    Said to see the news of @PaulGAllen passing. Grew up wanting to be a part of the @trailblazers and was able to do that on 3 occasions, 2 as a player and 1 as a coach.

Dan Dickau

@dandickau21
    16m16 minutes ago
    More
    Thank you for that opportunity and being a great owner and @trailblazers fan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...YFg?li=BBnb7Kz

Rip. Big loss
    Love the zags for life

RIP Paul Allen. He helped keep the NBA in Portland at a critical time.
    But on a happier note, today the Blazers exercised their option on Collins. Our friend and GU alumni Zach Collins will be making 4.24 million dollars for the 2019 - 2020 season, which is not peanuts.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    RIP Paul Allen. He helped keep the NBA in Portland at a critical time.
    But on a happier note, today the Blazers exercised their option on Collins. Our friend and GU alumni Zach Collins will be making 4.24 million dollars for the 2019 - 2020 season, which is not peanuts.

Go Bulldogs!
    Sorry to see him pass...from everything I have read about him, he was a really decent man!

Ok, let's revisit these arguments: Zach should have stayed at GU for one or two more years...the money would always be there...it's only $4.24 million...SHEET he is now set for life!

CONGRATULATIONS Zach!

(I wonder just who will be a higher draft pick, Snacks or Rui or Tillie or Clarke...it will be interesting to see after the Dance.)

Paul Allen did so many cool things from starting Microsoft, discovering world war II ships, owning sports franchises, creating the EMP, and especially all of his philanthropy.
    Bring back the OCC

Ok, let's revisit these arguments: Zach should have stayed at GU for one or two more years...the money would always be there...it's only $4.24 million...SHEET he is now set for life!
    I can name you many athletes who made 20x more and blew it all just through having bad financial advisors alone. Like Kareem, who is a very smart man (although he was able to make it up due to his long career). But I get your point. Orlando Woolridge once said in a documentary on Magic Johnson that most NBA athletes that he had met that earned well over a million bucks playing in the NBA mismanaged their money in some fashion and left game with way less than fans might think. I doubt this will occur with Collins, but I think it's a mistake to think that just because an athlete gets this or that that he's set for life. Really, the only guys who are set for life, that are almost bullet proof since the NBA foolishly created the rookie salary cap, are the guys with the big endorsement deals. I am not a big Mark Cuban fan, but as he says in his bio, the most important thing that a rich man must learn to say is "NO." Everyone wants your money. Everyone. It's particularly challenging for athletes who grew up poor and whose family and friends remain poor.

Still firmly feel that Zach Collins should've stayed one more year at Gonzaga, regardless of the money. Would've been better prepared for the NBA from day one to come into the league as the number one option on his college team. Good to hear that Portland exercised their option on him.