Thread: What would a Successful Season Look Like??

Default What would a Successful Season Look Like??

To you, what would a successful season look like for the Lady Zags this year?

ZagDad

Interesting question, ZagDad. Pragmatically it would be one with relatively few injuries, everyone sets personal bests in stats column, successful academic advancement and graduation of the student athletes, and support of a large, supportive crowd.

Zealous fan in me wants this: 25+wins, conference championship (regular season and tourney), Sweet 16. Z successfully dunks during a game, Zags win on senior day.

Pragmatically it would be one with relatively few injuries, everyone sets personal bests in stats column, successful academic advancement and graduation of the student athletes, and support of a large, supportive crowd.
    I like this and except for the injuries something that is entirely achievable.

25+wins, conference championship (regular season and tourney), Sweet 16. Z successfully dunks during a game, Zags win on senior day.
    Is that all?? Why set the bar so low??

ZagDad

Just Win Baby....

I want to see the seniors have the best season of their career.

I want GU Women to step up to the next level... mid major, why?

I want a season where the coaches have the team ready to go every game.

Last... a successful season to me is our student athletes making memories...

Go Zags!!

Make the NCAA Tourney ...

please do well in Las Vegas since I just made our hotel reservations.....lol.....

seriously hoping for the best.....

Many good responses. Thank you all for your insights.

Per several posters above, we all desire a lack of injuries and continued mastery in the classroom ending in graduation for the Juniors & Seniors. I have said it on numerous posts, assuming no significant injuries, I think this year's team has the potential to be the equal of or better than last year's team even with redshirting Anna. I remember a past (several years ago) quote from Mark Few when he was asked what he thought determined a successful season and he responded; I was hired to win the WCC regular season title and win the WCC tournament, and everything above that is gravy. Obviously the Zag Mbb team has moved beyond winning the WCC expectations, but I think the Lady Zag Wbb have not yet established that level of consistency.

For this year, given the talent and experience on this team, I think winning the regular season WCC title and winning the WCC tournament would be considered living up to, what I think are, very reasonable expectations. However, I and I think this team, would like to add some additional expectations:

- CLF and the team need to be prepared for every game coming out of the shoot. We cannot wait until the 3rd quarter to start playing our game.

- The team needs to play four (4) quarters each and every game. Playing only one, two or three quarters leads to unnecessary losses or unnecessarily close games.

- The offense cannot stagnate for long periods of time like it has the last several years. We need playmakers (3/4 scorers) in the game at all times, whether they are the starters or not.

- Obviously our 3 pt shooting has to improve significantly.

- Whoever is playing the PF and Post (#4 & #5 spots) need to be able to establish inside position on both sides of the ball. We cannot play from behind our opposition.

- CLF is frequently outcoached at halftime with the opposition making changes and GU not keeping up. CLF needs to up her game at half to prevent the Lady Zags from falling behind.

- Show improvement throughout the year with the team getting better each game. You should be playing your best basketball at the WCC tournament not in Dec/Jan.

- The last goal I would like to set is to re-establish the dominance of the Lady Zags in the Kennel. Prior to that injury riddled 2015/2016 season, our opponents had little luck in winning games in the Kennel. Numerous home games in the Kennel were lost by the opposition before they were even played prior to that season. Now, the "mystic" the kennel had prior to the 2015/2016 season is gone. Every team in the WCC thinks they can win in our house. We have lost games we should have won and we have played poorly allowing teams to make the games much closer than they should have been. Two years ago, Pacific took a game from us at the Kennel. Last year a bad UNLV team beat us and St. Mary's crushed us in the Kennel. The Kennel is our house and the girls need to establish the dominance in the Kennel we had prior to the 2015/2016 season. Let's win every game in the Kennel this year (I will give the ladies a break with Stanford) in dominating fashion and work towards re-establishing that fear of playing in the Kennel.

We are not that far from a 2nd round or sweet 16 round in the NCAA tournament. A little more consistent effort, a little better outside shooting, a little more "team" offensive strategy, a little better defensive effort and a slight improvement in coaching strategy and we are there folks. I think the continued improvement has stagnated since the 2015/2016 season and with a little more effort, we can get back on track.

Just over a week to fanfest. GO ZAGS!!

ZagDad

I have to add my one more "hope for".....I hope that we fill every single seat and not leave large swaths of empty seats in the lower tiers....its fine and dandy to buy ST but if you don't come to the games and root on our team, its counter productive. give the tickets away if you must...

I would love to see some arrangement similar to Montana....at the end of the first quarter people sitting up high can come down and claim empty seats.....it looks better on tv to have people sitting there..

lets renew our commitment to the Lady Zags!

How about the Kennel Club providing at least 15-20% of the participation level that they have for the Men's games?

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    How about the Kennel Club providing at least 15-20% of the participation level that they have for the Men's games?

ZagDad
    I agree. I'd like to see much more student support. As to Sylean's comments on ST holders, I also agree. If we can't make a game, we give our tickets away. I want our seats filled if at all possible.