Thread: Gonzaga Menís Cross Country in National Poll

Default Gonzaga Menís Cross Country in National Poll

This is a program first and very exciting for this old Bulldog! A modest 3 points and 40th position but we gotta start somewhere.

Congratulations to Coach Tyson and all the athletes that having been working so hard for this honor!

https://gozags.com/news/2018/10/2/cr...irst-time.aspx

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Very nice news.

I saw that. Pat is still the man. I remember seeing him running around the CC Invitationals back in the 90's. Incredibly dominant teams he produced at Mead.

I have always felt that if he could just get it turned up hill enough, he'd get the team nationally competitive.

Here's a link to the rankings: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-...en/d1/ustfccca

GU is ranked #8 in the West region (the West and Mountain regions are by far the toughest). UCLA is ranked #7 in the West region, and they are currently #25 in the nation.

The WCC is an incredibly competitive CC league. Presently, BYU is ranked #2 and Portland is ranked #4. With the great GSL CC talent, if Tyson can start to keep more of the top guys home, he can do amazing things.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    I saw that. Pat is still the man. I remember seeing him running around the CC Invitationals back in the 90's. Incredibly dominant teams he produced at Mead.

I have always felt that if he could just get it turned up hill enough, he'd get the team nationally competitive.

Here's a link to the rankings: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-...en/d1/ustfccca

GU is ranked #8 in the West region (the West and Mountain regions are by far the toughest). UCLA is ranked #7 in the West region, and they are currently #25 in the nation.

The WCC is an incredibly competitive CC league. Presently, BYU is ranked #2 and Portland is ranked #4. With the great GSL CC talent, if Tyson can start to keep more of the top guys home, he can do amazing things.
    I agree 100%!!

Now that Coach Tyson has 6 full scholarships to distribute, I think he'll definitely be ratcheting up the recruiting successes!

Gonzaga has a big opportunity this weekend at Pre Nationals to make an impression and perhaps move up in the National Rankings. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take out some of the regional teams ranked ahead of us.

Here's an article about the meet:

https://gozags.com/news/2018/10/9/bu...s-country.aspx

Hey former, do you have any idea how Coach Tyson would distribute those schollies?

Men's Basketball gives out 13 full scholies. Baseball divvies their 9 schollies amongst approx. 30 players.

I would assume CC would divvy theirs up as well. Really am not sure what the "standard in the industry" is.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Hey former, do you have any idea how Coach Tyson would distribute those schollies?

Men's Basketball gives out 13 full scholies. Baseball divvies their 9 schollies amongst approx. 30 players.

I would assume CC would divvy theirs up as well. Really am not sure what the "standard in the industry" is.
    It is my understanding that Coach Tyson has full discretion in divying up the scholarships. So, I strongly suspect that an athlete like Mwaura has a full ride. Other athletes may have a half ride or a quarter ride. Iím also confident that most of the XC athletes qualify for academic scholarships as well. After all, the team GPA is ridiculously impressive!

Beyond academic and athletic scholarships we are working on endowing additional scholarships as an alumni group.