Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Recruiting Scandal List Schools to Jurors

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...99006/download

"...making and concealing bribe payments to high school student-athletes and their families.."
    The US Code 18 (a) states "Whoever, knowing that the property involved in a financial transaction represents the proceeds of some form of unlawful activity, conducts or attempts to conduct such a financial transaction which in fact involves the proceeds of specified unlawful activity...shall be sentenced to a fine of not more than $500,000 or twice the value of the property involved in the transaction..."

Concealing income is an unlawful activity.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    remember when Lebron was driving a $50k hummer to high school as amateur baller.

good old days

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/s...stigation.html
    That was fine. He did not have any Federal requirement to report income because he did not go to college. None of what these agents did would be illegal if it was not done with a student-athlete.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

That was fine. He did not have any Federal requirement to report income because he did not go to college. None of what these agents did would be illegal if it was not done with a student-athlete.
    doesn't sound to fine IMO

Clair Muscaro, the commissioner of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, said the athletic association was concerned about the source of James's vehicle. According to The Associated Press, Muscaro said:
    ''If he has violated any of the rules, he would have to give up his amateur eligibility from the time the car was delivered. We have not yet talked to the school. We'll see if they know anything about it. I think it is important for our member schools to know what's going on.''
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    doesn't sound to fine IMO
    Unfortunately, law and what is right don't always intersect.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Very very unethical and sometimes reflects the intent of the law. But often behavior is in the gray zone where no law covers the behavior. I guess we can't make laws for everything.

file under strange timing

Adidas will partner to fund an initiative with the University of Louisville that is "focused on building ethical leadership in college athletics," the school said in a release on Wednesday.
    A 10-year, $160 million extension of the agreement between the sportswear giant and the university kicked in July 1 after the school reviewed and reevaluated its relationship with Adidas after the FBI investigation was announced.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lege-athletics
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Do not believe this is correct. There is a limit on how much a single person can gift another person and the Hummer would have far exceeded that amount. If the Hummer was a gift (title in LaBron's mom's name) then she would have a responsibility to report the difference between the gift maximum and the value of the Hummer. However, if the Hummer was only leased, then the value of the lease may not have exceeded the gift maximum.

An interesting side note for WA residents. If you are gifted a car, you cannot, later, gift the car to another individual. Any single vehicle can only be gifted once. The State of WA wants their cut on the second and all subsequent transactions.

ZagDad

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...99006/download

"...making and concealing bribe payments to high school student-athletes and their families.."
    Thanks Kitz...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Thanks Kitz...
    I was interested in finding out exactly what it was that would bring the FBI in so had to go to the actual source. Interestingly enough, it is not the false statements that the families made that is being prosecuted, it is the facilitating the transactions (wire fraud) that is being prosecuted.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Dealing with the Govt..... is always an uphill battle... it is not a prosecutors job to find justice, his job is to convict.......if the text that indicated Bill Self knew about the proposed transaction exists.... it can't be fraud, but it is collusion to cheat.... and that is beyond shameful and a mockery to college basketball, student athletes and honest coaches everywhere....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Is there any talk of this investigation spilling into NCAA football? Seems kind of odd that most (not all) of the programs under investigation don't have premier football programs...almost as if they were excluded from any investigation. Maybe just the conspiracy theorist in me. carry on.
    It is the general practice of many universities to throw basketball under the bus to protect football. You can count on that happening at universities ranging from Ohio State to USC. If anything shady is going on within the football program that might leak out, I am sure the athletic dept is more than happy to cooperate with any investigation related to the basketball operation in order to distract investigators of any type.....whether the NCAA or FBI. I know someone who advised Thad Matta about whether or not he should leave Xavier to go to OSU. He was told, "if there's a lot of prep talent in state, do so, but keep in mind that they will run you through the meat grinder to protect football.."

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Is there any talk of this investigation spilling into NCAA football? Seems kind of odd that most (not all) of the programs under investigation don't have premier football programs...almost as if they were excluded from any investigation. Maybe just the conspiracy theorist in me. carry on.

Here is a headline form ESPN that I found interesting...it is the second one this week!

John Emery, nation's top running back recruit, de-commits from Georgia

Why are these recruits leaving schools after their verbal commitment? I know this happens frequently in Football BUT it would seem there is something amiss here...if 5* basketball recruits are being courted then it only stands to reason that 5* football recruits might be courted as well...very interesting IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Here is a headline form ESPN that I found interesting...it is the second one this week!

Why are these recruits leaving schools after their verbal commitment? I know this happens frequently in Football BUT it would seem there is something amiss here...if 5* basketball recruits are being courted then it only stands to reason that 5* football recruits might be courted as well...very interesting IMO
    There was money allegedly involved in Cam Newton's recruitment in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

In basketball when a kid commits the other schools stop recruiting in general. Not so in football. Coaches still recruit and kids even make official visits to other colleges even after they've verbally committed.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    In basketball when a kid commits the other schools stop recruiting in general. Not so in football. Coaches still recruit and kids even make official visits to other colleges even after they've verbally committed.

Heck, in football they keep recruiting even after a kid signs a LOI. UW had a highly rated LB from Reno signed. There were some issues during the summer about whether he qualified academically or not. He eventually asked for a release from his LOI (due to family reasons and needing to be closer to home allegedly), it was granted, and ONE DAY LATER he committed to Alabama. That was FAST! Very fishy. Some said family pressured him into it. Tuscaloosa sure the hell ain't closer to Reno than Seattle is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...a26V7I9SkVLBHd

Anyway I'm in agreement and asked about it either earlier in this thread or a different thread. However dirty men's hoops is, it's nothing compared to football. But sacred cows must not be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It is the general practice of many universities to throw basketball under the bus to protect football. You can count on that happening at universities ranging from Ohio State to USC. If anything shady is going on within the football program that might leak out, I am sure the athletic dept is more than happy to cooperate with any investigation related to the basketball operation in order to distract investigators of any type.....whether the NCAA or FBI. I know someone who advised Thad Matta about whether or not he should leave Xavier to go to OSU. He was told, "if there's a lot of prep talent in state, do so, but keep in mind that they will run you through the meat grinder to protect football.."
    I fully believe that Gonzaga runs a spotlessly clean program. However...should an impropriety show up, will they change the football record?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Good thing I buy my shoes through Orthofeet.com. I don't have to be a party to the Swoosh and the other denizens of the swamp.

https://www.orthofeet.com/

O/T, but over the past several months, I bought a pair of walking shoes and a pair of sandals. By far, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I wore the sandals on vacation, walking 5+ miles a day at the theme parks we visited...Legoland and Disneyland. My feet felt great all the time.

They're not as stylish of course, but they're more than passable in the looks department. Prices are very reasonable.
    What are the walking shoes? I have a pair of sandals that I have worn out in the 2 years I have had them...almost daily wear, year round...even in the snow.
    I intend to replace them and want a pair of walkers as well. Together they should last 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    What are the walking shoes? I have a pair of sandals that I have worn out in the 2 years I have had them...almost daily wear, year round...even in the snow.
    I intend to replace them and want a pair of walkers as well. Together they should last 4+ years.
    Here's the pair I ordered several months ago, the Monterey Bay black.

Haven't worn them enough lately, too much rain over the past month. I've really warmed up to their "tieless system". It gives me a headstart when I'm in a competition with Big D.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Here's the pair I ordered several months ago, the Monterey Bay black.

Haven't worn them enough lately, too much rain over the past month. I've really warmed up to their "tieless system". It gives me a headstart when I'm in a competition with Big D.
    Thanks.