Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 167

Thread: Recruiting Scandal List Schools to Jurors

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    As others have stated, it’s all about a level playing field.

    This situation reminds me of the steroid era in baseball. Barry Bonds was widely considered the best player but he was being over shadowed by the new generation of power hitters. Average to good players were suddenly hitting 40-50 homers a year. (50 Was once almost unobtainable). I remember in the mid 90s, Jay Buhner hit 40 HRs in 3 straight years. First time in decades. Almost laughable now. So Bonds chose to cheat. He felt he had to to stay great. Other guys chose not to. They were still very good, but not superstars. (John Olerud?)

    Long story short, I’m worried that Gonzaga will be very good but not great due to the cheating component of other schools.

    Btw. Is Kentucky the Barry Bonds of my analogy?
    Have their heads increased a whole hat size?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Have their heads increased a whole hat size?
    Probably should check for shrinkage a little farther down the human anatomy.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    As others have stated, it’s all about a level playing field.

    This situation reminds me of the steroid era in baseball. Barry Bonds was widely considered the best player but he was being over shadowed by the new generation of power hitters. Average to good players were suddenly hitting 40-50 homers a year. (50 Was once almost unobtainable). I remember in the mid 90s, Jay Buhner hit 40 HRs in 3 straight years. First time in decades. Almost laughable now. So Bonds chose to cheat. He felt he had to to stay great. Other guys chose not to. They were still very good, but not superstars. (John Olerud?)

    Long story short, I’m worried that Gonzaga will be very good but not great due to the cheating component of other schools.

    Btw. Is Kentucky the Barry Bonds of my analogy?
    Duke is Barry Bonds.

    Kentucky is Sammy Sosa and Kansas is Mark McGwire.

    The college I'm having trouble assigning is Jose Canseco. I was thinking maybe UNC for it's years and years of academic cheating.
    Bring back the OCC

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    you have Phil Knight and his wife donating close to $ 1 BILLION DOLLARS to University of Oregon and people wanna believe its possible to have a level recruiting environment.

    Olympics used to be amateur until they weren't
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,490

    Default

    Interesting that Bowen's dad couldn't recall Oregon offering money, when he rattled off the precise amounts/perks offered by others. Maybe- I don't know, this is a radical thought around here- could it be because they didn't?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    you have Phil Knight and his wife donating close to $ 1 BILLION DOLLARS to University of Oregon and people wanna believe its possible to have a level recruiting environment.

    Olympics used to be amateur until they weren't
    Ironic. Oregon was a perennial bottom feeder until a couple of decades ago. Small market, isolated, little to no recruiting base. I say ironic because Knight's money just made them competitive with the league/nation's upper tier, i.e. leveled the playing field for them. If they were winning natl champships and dominating, you'd have a point. Schools like USC,UCLA, Zona, Stanford, UW aren't hurting compared to the Ducks.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Interesting that Bowen's dad couldn't recall Oregon offering money, when he rattled off the precise amounts/perks offered by others. Maybe- I don't know, this is a radical thought around here- could it be because they didn't?
    Who knows what a agent or a fan might do....even at Gonzaga.....but I would be amazed to find out that anyone on the staff at Oregon is involved with a NCAA violation...…. much less a crime.....

    Bowen doesn't sound very creditable to me....about anything....

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Who knows what a agent or a fan might do....even at Gonzaga.....but I would be amazed to find out that anyone on the staff at Oregon is involved with a NCAA violation...…. much less a crime.....

    Bowen doesn't sound very creditable to me....about anything....
    Unless the thousands of hours of wire taps reinforces his statement?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Obviously

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    I'm sure it comes down to Federal Tax Laws...hard to imagine this money being reported in any legal way.
    Why wouldn't the recipients just call them loans.....I assume it is not against the law to borrow money....

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    I think they can be called whatever you like but that is not what they are...reminds me of the payola days.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Why wouldn't the recipients just call them loans.....I assume it is not against the law to borrow money....
    Forgiveness of debt is taxable income. The loan documents would be thoroughly scrutinized by the IRS.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Forgiveness of debt is taxable income. The loan documents would be thoroughly scrutinized by the IRS.
    I would assume any of these players would be able to pay off nearly any loan with walking around money….after they turn pro...

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    43,594

    Default

    Former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola testified Wednesday that he made payments to the relatives of five players, including the family of Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 overall pick in June's NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.

    Gassnola was called as a government witness in its wire fraud case against Adidas executive James Gatto, Adidas consultant Merl Code Jr. and runner Christian Dawkins. The prosecution is expected to continue its direct examination of Gassnola on Thursday, before the defense will cross-examine him.
    De Sousa remains eligible and a member of the Kansas basketball team.

    De Sousa enrolled at Kansas last December, but was held out of competition while waiting to be cleared by the NCAA. He didn't get to play until January.

    "I obviously can't really comment on what's ongoing," Kansas coach Bill Self said Wednesday. "But I can say this, in the past I've made a statement that we certainly believe, based on the information we have, that this thing would have a positive resolution. But that was also based on the information that we had. So, you know, who knows what could potentially happen in the next, you know, whatever period of time? But I'm taking the approach, as everybody is on our team, that we're going to have Silvio De Sousa playing for us this year."
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-deandre-ayton

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I would assume any of these players would be able to pay off nearly any loan with walking around money….after they turn pro...
    They would still have to report the loans as assets on their FAFSA, the failure to do so being fraud.

    I think it is safe to suspect that these payments were not recorded as either income or loans on the offending student FAFSA forms.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,832

    Default

    Translated out of Self Legalese: "We may or may not have paid him, that all depends on whether the FBI has the evidence, and I don't know what all they have, so I am not saying anything about it. Given that we may or may not have paid him, we're going to play him every minute we possibly can while I believe he can help us win. As soon as I see evidence that hurts us to that end, I will re-evaluate then."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    2,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Translated out of Self Legalese: "We may or may not have paid him, that all depends on whether the FBI has the evidence, and I don't know what all they have, so I am not saying anything about it. Given that we may or may not have paid him, we're going to play him every minute we possibly can while I believe he can help us win. As soon as I see evidence that hurts us to that end, I will re-evaluate then."
    I understand that lawyers are coaching the coaches and that there’s a lot at stake for individual coaches and players, programs and administrators and schools. Unfortunately, everyone is getting the message that ethics and morality depend on what you can get away with.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Some crazy testimony coming out again this morning. Funny all the Adidas employees are saying the same thing about these payments, not looking good for the programs.

    If you don't follow Jeff on Twitter you should he has some great stuff.

    https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...28813459492864

    https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...28452749410304

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    They would still have to report the loans as assets on their FAFSA, the failure to do so being fraud.

    I think it is safe to suspect that these payments were not recorded as either income or loans on the offending student FAFSA forms.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

    I am not aware that the students/athletes are being charged with crimes.....don't know why a relative or a friend would be filling out a student loan application.....

    If someone paid Ayton $100,000 for a years worth of basketball at Arizona, they got a hell of a deal, he will probably make twice that per game this year...

    There is still a presumption of innocence in the courtrooms...... as opposed to the media....and speaking of the media, they are not paying much attention to this at all..

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Yep. Until the Knights got involved, Oregon was nothing in either football or basketball.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,584

    Default

    It’s interesting that one player allegedly took shoe money to pay off a booster at another school. What a tangled mess. The misguided assumption is that this wouldn’t happen if we just paid the players. Unless these schools are paying top recruits in the 100K/year neighborhood it seems that there is still going to be a problem with this.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,176

    Default

    Meanwhile, in Louisville country, Dan Wetzel has penned a piece on whether the Cardinal should get the death penalty

    https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville-...225857521.html

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am not aware that the students/athletes are being charged with crimes.....don't know why a relative or a friend would be filling out a student loan application.....

    If someone paid Ayton $100,000 for a years worth of basketball at Arizona, they got a hell of a deal, he will probably make twice that per game this year...

    There is still a presumption of innocence in the courtrooms...... as opposed to the media....and speaking of the media, they are not paying much attention to this at all..
    There is the collusion and the associated bribery that seems to be the focus of the investigation. The ‘SAs’ are not the big fish.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    There is the collusion and the associated bribery that seems to be the focus of the investigation. The ‘SAs’ are not the big fish.
    Agreed, but they are old enough to sign a binding contract and to know right from wrong.

    If they will do this, what is to stop them from taking money in the NBA to shave points? Just a rhetorical question and one that I have no knowledge of it happening...but everyone has a price, and they have already shown what theirs is.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Agreed, but they are old enough to sign a binding contract and to know right from wrong.

    If they will do this, what is to stop them from taking money in the NBA to shave points? Just a rhetorical question and one that I have no knowledge of it happening...but everyone has a price, and they have already shown what theirs is.
    This is about the FBI getting convictions. They will focus their efforts on the big money offenders. Those are not the SAs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •