Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018-19 Season “definition of success”

Default The 2018-19 Season “definition of success”

I ask this question every year. What is your definition of success for the upcoming season? Realistically. Barring injuries. With everything we know now.

At the minimum, the Elite 8.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    At the minimum, the Elite 8.
    Yep, and an instant classic type game for the FF if they lose.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Win the conference ….get to the dance....play well....a one and done tourney is a krap shoot as Virginia proved once again last year...

Agree with Bart.

Final Four. Tournament is not a crapshoot. Generally the best teams win. This team control its own destiny.

Those who focus on the destination have difficulty enjoying the journey. I'm looking forward to a heckuva ride, with the opportunity to add to my photobucket!

Final Four. With the talent on this team, barring an injury and Geno not joining the team, anything less would be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Win the conference ….get to the dance....play well....a one and done tourney is a krap shoot as Virginia proved once again last year...
    You didn't make any attempt whatsoever to answer the actual question in the thread title. Unless you think that this team, as currently constructed would be considered having had a successful season by simply making MM.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Final Four. Tournament is not a crapshoot. Generally the best teams win. This team control its own destiny.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Those who focus on the destination have difficulty enjoying the journey. I'm looking forward to a heckuva ride, with the opportunity to add to my photobucket!

I'll add continue to be known as the school/program that does things the right way ... that's my definition of success

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

To have the best record in GU history. Also to be the best 3 pt shooting team that Gonzaga ever had.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I believe that this team can compete for a national championship, and it’d be very sweet to see them reach that level of ultimate success. However, I’d be happy if they reached the elite 8. I just hope that the star power of this squad can shine as the games become more intense.

I would be, at least, mildly disappointed if the Zags didn't make the final four. Of course I would be mildly disappointed if they lost any game, including the championship.
    Final Four is my expectation.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Elite 8 would be the floor, but mostlikely Final Four or bust year. This is hands down our best shot at the NC.

“Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger, it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!”
    ― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

If the Zags don't meet your expectations, it doesn't mean they haven't been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I'll add continue to be known as the school/program that does things the right way ... that's my definition of success
    Honestly this would be my answer too.
    If they won the NC but it was later found that they committed violations, it would be a failure in my eyes.
    I love love love cheering for a team that has continual success doing it the right way especially when so many other schools simply don’t.

To see our walk on players get a whole bunch of minutes this year!

Go Zags! #runthetable

Injury-free first then with that... E8... anything after that is a crapshoot of matchups.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Final Four. Tournament is not a crapshoot.
    Some beg to differ:

"Are you kidding me? The tournament is a crapshoot. It shouldn't be everything. It's such a shallow thing to pin everything on." Mark Few

"The NCAA Tournament is a crapshoot. It’s a single-elimination event of 40-minute games. Literally anything can happen in that thing. ..." Gary Parris, CBS

"In a way, Duke has become the symbol, a microcosm, of what the tournament is: a complete crapshoot. You need the right matchups, good health, consistent coaching and plenty of luck." Matt Norlander, CBS Sports

"The NCAA Tournament is a crapshoot. Judge Maryland on its regular season instead." Ryan Conners

"As anyone who even remotely follows college basketball understands, no one knows anything about what will happen in this year’s NCAA tournament. Total crapshoot even for a tournament that’s intended to be a crapshoot." Steven Markley, Chicago Tribune

"The NCAA Tournament is generally a crapshoot that requires an equal amount of luck as it does skill." Chris Schutte, Mid Major Madness

"In an eccentric sport whose teams spend four quiet months straining and grinding to construct merit, whereupon everyone agrees to spend three loud weeks in a 68-team semi-crapshoot to mint legacies, to determine which coaches get plummer jobs and to ascertain who gets the joy, the Associated Press coach of the year award went to Tony Bennett of Virginia here Thursday." Chuck Culpepper and Gene Wang, Washington Post

"The ultimate crapshoot on an annual basis comes in college basketball." justbet.com

"As college basketball ushers in another NCAA Tournament, we are reminded anew how the playoffs are akin to walking a tightrope, playing Russian roulette or participating in a crapshoot." Mark ######nt, NABC.com (National Association of Basketball Coaches)

Still, turning to basketball, determining who might be cutting down the nets at the end of any given season is more of a crapshoot....Gonzaga, a Jesuit school of 7,300 students in Washington state, quit playing football during World War II. Hoops, that’s another story. Gonzaga battled North Carolina to the wire in the 2017 NCAA tournament championship game. And it was no fluke." Mike Strange, Knox News

"...the NCAA Tournament is a total crapshoot." Grey Papke, Larry Brown Sports

"Like it or not, a single elimination crapshoot of a tournament defines college basketball. You can go 34-0, have a bad game, and be done in 40 minutes. You can also barely sneak into the tournament, catch fire behind Kemba Walker, and win a damn national title." Travis Miller, Hammer and Nails, SBA Nation

"Now we're here for the greatest crapshoot in sports. A 68-team brawl that will produce one champion in San Antonio next month." Myron Medcalf, ESPN

Playing in April in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Some beg to differ:
    That’s fine. Go back 20 years or even further back and tell me one of the top 3 best teams in any given year didn’t win the NC. 2014 UConn team being the exception. The crapshoot portion is most of the field because at least 64-65 teams aren’t among the best in the country. If a team is truly the best they’ll shine through in March. Just my opinion.

What do these Championship match ups have in common?

• 1982 – North Carolina beat Georgetown
    • 1993 – North Carolina beat Michigan
    • 1999 – Connecticut beat Duke
    • 2005 – North Carolina beat Illinois
    • 2007 – Florida beat Ohio State
    • 2008 – Kansas beat Memphis
    • 2015 – Duke beat Wisconsin
    • 2017 – North Carolina beat Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Yep, and an instant classic type game for the FF if they lose.
    Your exactly right. The key of course is staying injury free

That’s fine. Go back 20 years or even further back and tell me one of the top 3 best teams in any given year didn’t win the NC. 2014 UConn team being the exception. The crapshoot portion is most of the field because at least 64-65 teams aren’t among the best in the country. If a team is truly the best they’ll shine through in March. Just my opinion.
    '83: North Carolina State (a 3 seed. There were at least 5 better teams in the tournament including Houston, Virginia and Louisville. Pepperdine had them beaten in the first round game, but gagged a substantial lead and Dane Suttle , an 83% FT shooter, missed two FT's that would have iced the game. NCSU caught lightning in a bottle)
    '85: Villanova (an 8 seed. Not even in the top 3 in the big east. But, played a perfect game against a vastly more talented team in the championship game)
    '88: Kansas (a 6 seed. Arguably not even a top 20 team).
    '97: Arizona (a 4 seed. Kansas, Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky were better teams).
    and...both of UConn's recent championships.

The World Series is not a crapshoot. The College World Series is not a crapshoot. The Stanley Cup is not a crapshoot. The NBA championship is not a crapshoot. The World Cup is mostly not a crapshoot. The Super Bowl and the NCAA MBB tournament ARE crapshoots, IMHO.