Thread: Jonathan Williams for the Lakers

Default Jonathan Williams for the Lakers

I've been scouring the internet for news of Jonathan, and at last here's some good news, about Jonathan in the Lakers training camp. https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/1809...power-forwards

Wow! From McCarthy Athletic Center to playing with LeBron!

Johnathan Williams (NCAA: 13.4 pts, 8.5 reb, 1.6 ast, 1.1 blk, 56.3% FG, 22.9% 3P)

The Lakers’ run to the Las Vegas Summer League championship game was bolstered by the team’s stifling defense, and Williams was a huge part of that. In particular, he was exceptional at using his quick feet to keep up when switched onto guards.

Offensively, Williams lived at the rim during the summer. He showed capable of finishing possessions both in transition and out of pick-and-rolls, while flashing some ball handling as well.
    There is also some video of him playing in the article.

Default JW3 Making Us Proud

Hoopshype reports the 2018-19 Lakers roster will be as follows:

"STAYING: Lonzo Ball, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Alex Caruso, Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Travis Wear and Ivica Zubac.

ADDED: Michael Beasley (New York), Joel Berry II (North Carolina), Isaac Bonga (Frankfurt Skyliners), Jeffrey Carroll (Oklahoma State), LeBron James (Cleveland), JaVale McGee (Golden State), Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (Kansas), Rajon Rondo (New Orleans), Lance Stephenson (Indiana), Moritz Wagner (Michigan) and Johnathan Williams (Gonzaga)."

They go on to report that Joel Berry Jr., Jeffrey Carroll, and Johnathon Wiliams have each been offered contracts for $838,464.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/09/23/los...eason-preview/

I assume the 19-man roster reported here will be trimmed before league play, but do not know the economic consequences for a player if he is farmed out somewhere other than the active Laker bench.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

At the very least it means that he's got an excellent shot at pulling a G-league slot, and maybe even as a 2-way player.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

During the late stretch of our '16-'17 season, and during several NCAA tournament games, J3 was the best zag on the floor. He was the regional MVP for their entire 16-team quadrant of the tourney!

That being said, and as much as I love J3's humility and work ethic, I think he's not going to play in the NBA with those shot mechanics, free-throw percentage, and lack of outside threat.

Since the coaches at GU are top notch and J3 is a proven hard worker, I have to imagine that they did try and improve or remake his mechanics during his 3 years with the team, and it seemed at points early in the season last year that his free throw form was notably improved/altered. But he regressed to the mechanics that he had played with before arrival in Spokane. Maybe some Lakers coach has had a breakthrough with him, but I doubt it. (Old habits die hard! Think about how many thousands of hours of practice he has with those shooting motions).

I hope I'm wrong, but even if he doesn't get any kind of NBA playing time this year, it looks like he has earned an awesome rookie bonus to start funding what will be a great professional career playing high level basketball, regardless of the league affiliation.

I am pretty sure Jonathan Williams has nothing more than a camp invite with the Lakers right now. There is no "rookie bonus" or any guaranteed money other than maybe a ~25K-75K payment to be at camp (if that).
    A roster spot opened up with the waiving of Deng and the Lakers still have a two way contact free (Travis Wear has the other).

You never know but I expect he assigned to the G-League. Indeed if he is signed to the Lakers he would be in line for the 838K rookie minimum (unless he signs the two-way). Not allot of PFs in camp...so maybe he has a legit shot.

Jonathan got 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block for the Lakers tonight in the Lakers first preseason game! I watched up to half time but gave up and switched channels when Jonathan hadn't yet entered the game. Looks like he fouled out with 5 fouls in 11 minutes.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401077242