Thread: Who are your Starting 5??

Default Who are your Starting 5??

O'k Board,

Only 3.5 more weeks to FanFest. Time to get ready for the season.

Who are you going to go with for your starting 5 for the start of the season?

What is your rotation?

ZagDad

Let the fun begin...

Starters... 1 LS 2 JL 3 CS 4 ZR 5 JW

Rotation... 1/2 KC LF KG. 3 JT KG. 4/5 LW MK GB

With the two FR... the coaching staff will need to get 11 players in the rotation to get them ready for the WCC.

Go Zags!!

Jenn W.....LS....Chandler...Townsie....Zee...LF....

Jess relieves does about half the total minutes

Leeanne in for her sister or Zee

Kylie/Melody in for Chandler or Townsie or Louise....

Katie in for LS/JL/Chandler/LF/

awaiting incoming...

Thanks Skip & Sylean.

I like Sylean's method for winning games this season. Start 6 players.

Jenn W.....LS....Chandler...Townsie....Zee...LF....
    I hadn't thought of that method, but I think it could work. Now we just have to get the right officials on our games.

ZagDad

Perhaps we could fool them if the Wirth twins are on the floor at the same time and never stand still, maybe the officials will think ”she” moves so fast they can’t track “her”...?

LOL.....just noticed I have 6 listed.....perhaps we'll need 6 on the floor to win this year.....

so back to the drawing board.....

absolute must be starters.....LS...one of the Wirths...Chandler....Zee......

for the fifth player, I'm torn between LF and Towns...

One thing I am adamant about is CLF must go with the best players, freshmen or not/sophomore or not..........no more of this sentimental playing distribution which has vexed this program..

I was going to wait until at least five (5) people made their selections before I gave my selections.

But, after 2.5 days and 277 views we have had a total of two (2) people (thanks Skip & Sylean) make their opinions public so we can surmise that if I waited for five people to make their selections I would still be waiting until after the season was finished to make my picks known (at least I would be right). So I waited until there were at least 5 posts even if that include two posts of mine before I made my selections.

I am going to provide preface this by giving two (2) starting line-ups; the starting line-up that I think CLF will put on the court and the starting line-up which IMO will give the team the best chance at success.

I think Skip's selection of players is correct, but I think he has "Z's" and JW's positions reversed. CLF has a history of starting upper classman when possible no matter who is actually playing better. Thus, CLF's starting line-up will be as follows: PG-LS, SG-JL, Wing-CS, SF-JW & PF/Post-Zee.

I do not think this line-up will put a better team on the court than we had last year. The biggest leap of improvement typically occurs between year 1 and year 2 in the program and I expect big improvements by JW, LW and JT this year. However, asking JW to directly replace Barta and JL to directly replace ES is asking too much. Zee showed great improvement, but she did not/could not stay on the floor for long periods of time for whatever reason (health reasons??). If Zee cannot play 30min/gm or more, I believe her contribution will stay somewhat level from last year. As Skip mentioned, CLF wants to play inside out. Great, last year, LS, JL & JT shot 22.2% from 3pt range. This shooting percentage simply is not going to pull teams out of their zone package, resulting in JW and Zee having to fight through double teams consistently. If you want to play inside-out, you have to be able to shoot from outside. CLF's starting five have not shown the ability to shoot well enough to pull the opposition out of their zone defense. Sylean wants to speed up our team offense, a run and gun if you will. The problem is that when you speed up LS, her passes end up in the 5th row of the stands. LS already has a relatively poor assist to T/O ratio and speeding her up will only exasperate that situation. JL is faster and better than LS but her assist to T/O ratio is nothing to brag about either. Increasing our number of turnovers is not going to help us win games. Finally, JL is a good 3" shorter than ES. ES was put on the oppositions best player in positions #1-#3. JL is quick but we cannot put her in position to try and guard 6' to 6'-2" wings like we did with Emma. Thus, while I think the CLF starting 5 will be a very good team, I do not think it will be as good as the starting 5 from last year (this year's team probably is deeper and the bench better than last year, however).

So what can we do to make the starting 5 better? IMO the Lady Zags need to shoot better from the outside and have somebody playing in positions #1-#3 who will force the issue and slash through the lane to take the ball to the hoop. You have to make teams pay for playing zone. If you can make teams play man-to-man, I think Zee and JW can be very productive from inside the key. The incoming freshman are unknowns. I see them getting LW type minutes, with the quantity of minutes going up or down depending on how they play. I see KC as a quality role player with some added guard height but not solution. I see JT as a #3 or #4 but not a full time #1 or #2. She gives us great defensive presence and tenacity on the court but we need help from the outside and I don't feel that she will provide that unless she significantly improves her shooting percentages from outside. I see LW as a #4/#5 and do not see her providing the offensive help that we need from outside. I see CD and GB as minor role players. GB, if she picks up the tenacity on defense she would give us another option with some height (6'1") and she could earn herself more minutes. Offensively, she was very tentative last year, so we have little to go on with her on that side of the ball. That leaves us with Louise Forsyth. She is our highest rated recruit, she now has had a year in the program and hopefully she is finally healthy. According to CLF she is by far the fastest player on the team. In HS she averaged over 31 pts per game shooting from the outside and slashing to the hoop. Assuming the national hype on her recruiting was not all smoke, she appears to be exactly what this Lady Zags team needs; somebody who can shoot from outside, somebody who can slash to the hoop and somebody who brings some height (6'0") and speed to the guard position.

I think the five players who would make up the best team (if not starting 5) would be: PG-LS, SG-LF, Wing-CS, SF-JW & PF/Post-Zee. The rotational players would be: #1/#2 - JL & KC, #3 - JT, KG & CD, #4 - LW, KG, MK, JT & GB & #5 - LW & MK. Obviously, the bigs will rotate around the key in positions #4 & #5 and the wings could incorporate a big or a guard depending on our opposition and if they are playing inside or outside.

Obviously lots of supposition on LF on my part but since she was nationally rated inside the top 50, you would expect that all the hype was not smoke. Am I nuts (probably). Am I wrong (usually). Go ahead, let me know what you think?

ZagDad

its not that I WANT the team to speed up......its that they HAVE TO speed up to survive..we have no chance with defenses setting up on us.....we will play some very strong posts this year...BYU, UNLV,St Mary's....we need to wear them down and catch them off guard....

the team this year will as good as LF and towns play.....I feel they are key....we hope to get good play from the Wirths' and Zee....not worried about JL or LS.......chandler will have another outstanding year.....if Zee can be a spark for 5 minutes at a time, it's enough....

Since the day of the spring banquet in our house we called starting five as: LS, JL, CS, ZR, JW. I would love to see LF at the top of her game and getting earning minutes in the rotation. I’m very curious about the freshmen, it’s always fun to see the new skills and energy. I agree with those who wish that coaches would be more willing to shake up the rotation and playing time a little more.

A couple of thoughts...

Seniors need to go out at their best.. and with the three that we have, I think they will.

Our two juniors should have a great year...both are gamers.

Our sophmore class is strong and while they are very talented.. they will need to grow by the end of the preseason to be the big part of the rotation that we need.

And the freshmen... again very talented. They will need time to get to the D1 level. They will need time on the court.

I am still a believer in the older players... time and experience goes a long way.

With a solid coaching staff that has stayed together.... we need them at their best.. game in and game out.

Sad that I wasn’t able to make the open house...

Go Zags !!

Def'n of Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Every since CLF took over head coaching duties she has run an inside-out offense. We have usually had a pretty dominating #4/#5 players even if they are not the tallest players in the league. In an effort to minimize our offensively dominating bigs, our opposition has frequently dropped into zone defense so they can double team our bigs. There are very obvious ways to pull a team out of a zone defense; shoot well from 3, spread out defense and take it to the hoop, etc. With JB in the line-up we had our ace. If you don't double team her inside, she took it to the hoop w/o hesitation either getting the basket, the foul or both. She made free throws at an 87% clip. If you did not follow her outside, she hit the 3 at a 38% clip. ES provided additional 3 pt shooting at a 36.4% rate in addition to her stellar defense.

With JB & ES gone we lose 54.7 minutes/gm, 25.3 pts/gm, & 11 rebs/gm. Our other 3 starters LS, CS & ZR last year averaged 26.2, 29.1 & 22.7 min/gm respectively. Do you really expect to see significantly "more" contribution from these three players this year. Maybe some more contribution, but significant improvements, I personally don't see it. So where does the production to replace the production of JB & ES come from? I looked at some numbers to get an idea or two.

What about from our incoming freshman? Last year's freshman (JW, LW & JT) averaged 43.4 min/gm and produced 12.2 pts/gm & 7.9 rebs.gm. If our incoming freshman were as productive as last year's freshman (on a per person basis), who were pretty good, you might expect an average of 8 pts & 5 rebs per game total from our two new freshman. The problem is that with our very deep team (11 deep), they probably will be fighting for playing time and likely will not get the minutes on the court last year's freshman did and thus their production will likely be somewhat less than last years freshman.

What about from last year's freshman (our sophomores)? Last year's freshman (JW, LW & JT) averaged 18.1, 13.2 & 11.0 min/gm respectively and produced 4.6, 4.2 & 3.5 pts/gm & 3.2, 2.8 & 1.9 rebs.gm. Assuming JW gets 50% more playing time, JT & LW get 100% more playing time, assuming equal production this would show an increase from last year of 33.25 min/game, 10 pts/gm & 6.3 rebs/gm. This covers about 40% of the pts/gm & 60% of the rebs/gm we lost with ES & JB.

So it looks a little bleak, but there is some very positive items for consideration. First, if you assume KG and MK essentially play the same minutes as JT & LW, produce at the same rate, and combine this with the sophomore's estimated production, this puts us at an increase of 17.7 pts/gm and 11 reb/gm. So realistically we have made up all the rebounds but we are still 7.5 pts/gm short of last years production from ES & JB. The next area of consideration is that the single biggest improvement in a players game is between their 1st and 2nd years, so we can expect that JW, LW & JT will be considerably more productive than they were last year, especially as they get more time on the court.

To be fair to LS and JL, their overall 3 pt shooting percentages were horrible (0.179 & 0.269) but their in-conference 3 pt shooting percentages were much better (0.385 & 0.324). If they can shoot the 3 all year like they did in conference last year, we will be much better.

The final item of consideration is that we only lost one game last year when we held the opposition under 65 pts and that was UNLV when JB did not play and we shot like 22%. Defense wins games and I think this team will be better defensively than last's year's team. For all of her offensive accolades, JB was not a very good defensive person. She frequently was beat off the dribble, had a hard time staying in front of her opposition and lead the team in turnovers. I think JW and JT are definitely a better defensive players and LW is at least equal to JB on the defensive side of the ball. I would expect that this year's team will allow fewer points per game than last year's team and thus would require less points per game to win.

I think if we can utilize LF to any degree, this will put us over the top to win the WCC conference. But, CLF has to be willing to change if the 3's are not falling or the player's on the court not producing. We cannot afford to get down double digit points and try and come back. This is the first year all the players on the team are entirely CLF's players. No more time for excuses, its time to get it done.

ZagDad

I think it will be a starting 5 of LS, JL, CS, ZR and JW just like the rest of you. I feel that although JL will start, foul issues and matchups will dictate how long her and LS are on the floor at the same time. Its not often when one of them is not out there at point guard so i think that 2 guard spot will get replaced quickly.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to see the team workout last week. Although not a offical practice session, you can tell that the staff is hoping that LF fills any void left by ES graduating. She looked great and certainly has alot of quickness that we did not see last year.

KG and MK both held there own and i would expect them to be able to contribute not only on the offense side but also with some defense. KG is long and shuts down some passing lanes with her length and quickness. Maybe not this
    year but next she will be the point when we trap on defense.

MK reminds me of Kiara Kudron. Really is athletic and strong in the post. I feel better after watching her that she will provide adequate depth in the post after the loss of JB.

This team should do fine this year. Our seniors have alot of experience. I would expect that last years freshman will contine to improve and this years freshman will contribute.

This team will once again contend for the league and tournment title. Maybe with improvements during the year we may have a shot at winning a first round game in NCAA.

Thanks for the inside scope on the team zag-on-the-run. It is nice to get some actual eyes on the team information instead of just speculation.

JL is not really a 2-guard but she will start because of her dedication and time in the program per CLF's history. Like you I think the shooting guard position (#2 guard) will be rotated through pretty quickly. I think LF & KC will rotate through the guard positions with JL & LS with either JL or LS typically on the court running the point. If LF is as good as rated and confirmed with your report, I doubt we see JT at a guard position this year. I think wing and #4 will be JT's position this year. All our #3s appear to be able to play in a 3-guard offense if necessary.

Thanks for the report on our incoming freshman. Last year's freshman were very good considering they were thrown into the mix a little early. I think KG and MK are as good or better than last year's freshman. All they need is time on the court, which may be difficult to come by. Hopefully they get some meaningful minutes, not just mop up time.

Thanks again, zag on the run,

ZagDad

I think the starting lineup is set... and I’m good with it. From there, it’s up to the game and player needs. It’s a team sport and coaches need to use their players to the team’s advantage. Quick, long and tall...

Run talked about the trap and with the length we have coming in at the 2, with CS at point, think of KC or LF or KG joining in. Defense... quick, long and tall can be a real advantage.

I think this years team will need to be better shooters.. the mental thing needs to be stressed. Remember how last year they talked about making lots of 3s during practice but couldn’t pass it on to the games... why? Time to get it figured out.

Of the starting 5... all 5 started games last year. JL and JW were first off the bench. Makes you think they have earned starting.

Go Zags!!

Skip:

I think this years team will need to be better shooters.. the mental thing needs to be stressed. Remember how last year they talked about making lots of 3s during practice but couldn’t pass it on to the games... why? Time to get it figured out.
    While having a larger big this year (not going to happen), and having more speed would be nice, the above, IMO, is the single most important aspect to this year's team. If we can't shoot the 3, opposition will suck the defense down to the key the entire game. With no JB to bail us out, we need the backcourt to be able to shoot/drive the opposition out of the zone and free up the key.

ZagDad

Does Anamaria have to redshirt this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Does Anamaria have to redshirt this year?
    Yes, she does under the NCAA transfer rules.

ZagDad

I guess I thought she was a community college transfer, but I see she was NAIA.

Here are the thoughts of The Slipper Still Fits on who will start this year:

Starting for the Gonzaga Women...
    The obvious (and not-so-obvious) potential choices for the starting lineup
    By mstoudt1987 Oct 10, 2018, 7:49am PDT

Ah, the start of a new season. The expectations for the upcoming season sit upon the shoulders of players and coaches alike. However, one can argue that a team’s starters feel the most pressure of everyone to lead off every single matchup with guns blazing. I would wager that the Gonzaga women expect to win a third consecutive WCC title this year and they’ll easily do so with my personal picks in the starting lineup.

Zykera Rice – No question about it, this senior captain will absolutely be starting for the Zags. She had somewhat quiet freshman and sophomore years comparatively speaking, but truly took off last year starting in 32 games. Easily one of the league’s best forwards, last year Rice shot 50% from the field and averaged 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds. In addition, the combo of her own sassiness and drive make her a great leader for the team – and could very well contribute to a successful dunk this year!

Chandler Smith – After starting in all 33 games last year, Chandler was able to average 9.4 points and 5.7 boards per game. She is insanely versatile and, according to Lisa Fortier, Smith “does have the tools to do all the different parts of the game.” At 6’0” she is listed as a guard, but can also work as a wing. In fact, during the game against UNLV last season, Smith played at four different positions. Judging from how much she stepped up last year to help the team when injuries plagued the Bulldogs, we should plan to see even more great action from Chandler.

Laura Stockton – Great vision. That’s not a skill that can easily be learned, but is arguably inherent in a phenomenal basketball player. That, along with the true desire to work and succeed is what makes Stockton the talented guard that she is. Starting in 28 of 29 games last year, it is highly probable to see her taking charge and running the floor from the get-go. She led the team with 3.8 assists last season and rightly so – she’s great at setting up plays and feeding the bigs in the post.

Jessie Loera – Even though she usually splits point guard duties with Stockton, many times they will share the floor and punish the opposing team together. Jessie played limited minutes during her freshman season, but stepped up last year into a much bigger role, playing in all 33 games and ranking second on the team with 3.6 assists per game. She’s also known for her intense energy, which propels her teammates. “When she comes in you know we are going to pick up the pace a little bit. She is a defensive stopper,” says Fortier. Personally, I cannot wait to see how Jessie develops this year and really hope to see the combo of her and Stockton quite a bit.

Jenn Wirth – As a true freshman last year, Jenn was tested to see if she could swim with the big fish, and swim she did. She was usually the first forward off the bench and she averaged 4.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in conference games. When Jill Barta was out with an ankle injury last season, Fortier called upon Wirth to help fill the void. She saw more time on the court than a freshman usually would and showed off during the St. Francis of Pennsylvania contest with 13 points, 11 rebounds and recording her first double-double. After performing substantially well for a true freshman, stacking up some impressive stats and picking up quality experience, Jenn can be expected to continue to elevate her game.
    Article Link with Pictures: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...rting-rotation

ZagDad

who knows what rationale CLF will conjure up so its all a guess.....but two pg's in?..neither very big?.....just no.....

of course who starts is moot....but if LF and Towns don't get big minutes this year...quality time not clean up time...I'll be greatly disappointed...

don't get me wrong....I've grown to love LS"s passion and I love JL's speed and gusto......but with LF and JT why go with two smaller pg's at the same time....

Respectfully disagree, Sylean. If I were in the coach’s shoes this would be my decision. They had very good success with LS and JL in at the same time last year. It gives them two ball handling options and they attack the opponent’s defense differently. It doesn’t mean that there won’t be variations in this rotation, but I think putting these two on the floor at the same time initially is the strongest lineup to get the team off to a good start.

I hope that LF is solid and ready to compete for a starting position, but that isn’t where she left things off last year. Understandably her season was disrupted by the injury that kept her off the court and from developing a sense and rhythm of the college game early on, hopefully she will get off to a roaring start this year. Re: Townsie, I think she will be getting her share of the minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    Respectfully disagree, Sylean. If I were in the coach’s shoes this would be my decision. They had very good success with LS and JL in at the same time last year. It gives them two ball handling options and they attack the opponent’s defense differently. It doesn’t mean that there won’t be variations in this rotation, but I think putting these two on the floor at the same time initially is the strongest lineup to get the team off to a good start.

I hope that LF is solid and ready to compete for a starting position, but that isn’t where she left things off last year. Understandably her season was disrupted by the injury that kept her off the court and from developing a sense and rhythm of the college game early on, hopefully she will get off to a roaring start this year. Re: Townsie, I think she will be getting her share of the minutes.
    Zag Swagger, I am sure that CLF will start both LS and JL, but my concern is not having two girls that can handle the ball on the court at the same time but having somebody playing the #2 who can shoot from 3 and take the ball to the hoop. Last year, LS, JL and JT were a combined 22.2% from 3, and that is not going to cut it. LS and JL did not show a preference for driving to the hoop (except on a rare occasion). Unless we want to play against continuous zones, we absolutely need somebody who can shoot the 3 and drive the lane. I don't think that LS and JL are the solutions to our #2 shooting woes. If LS and JL (or JT) can get their 3 pt shooting percentages up to say 38+% and be more aggressive to the hoop I am fine with both of them being in the game at the same time. If we get what we had last year, we need somebody new at the #2 IMO.

ZagDad

I think if you look at this years lineup, you will see that they played together quite a bit last year. When JL came in for ES, the team played well... there were times when JL would bring the ball down and LS would fall into one of the corners.

The shooting has been a priority of CLF’s to improve... she gets it just as we do.

JL’s 3s were starting to improve towards the end of last season and I hope to see them land more often this year.

As for starters... with this program... you put the time in and improve, by the time you are a JR or SR, you may start.
    CS, ZR, JL did not start until their JR years... and chances are either would have JW. Players understand this. They know it will come with time and improvement. The playing time is what makes it okay to start the game on the bench. To me, that is one of the reasons this program is a success.

Go Zags!!

ZagDad, I hear your point and agree with it. I hope that either Lou or Townsie (or someone else) will have breakout shooting this year and if that is the case would not start Laura and Jessie at the same time.

Us longtimers know that CLF is going to start who CLF wants to start whether it is the "best" 5 players (in our opinion) or not. The reality is that it is not necessarily important (to the determination of the game) who actually starts but who plays the most minutes. Starting may be a right of succession (or ascension) within the team and carry much more importance to the team members than it does to us know-it-all fans. If it keeps the peace within the team, it does not bother me who CLF elects to start as long as the players who play the best get the most minutes.

After watching scrimmage yesterday, what about considering moving CS from the #3 to the #2 and having JT take over the #3? Seeing that JT got 8 rebounds yesterday in less than half a game, I don't want to take her aggressiveness too far outside. Obviously CS can shoot from anywhere, take it to the hole and get rebounds. We would have to see if JT has the foot speed to play at the #3, and we know that CS can play the #2. LW seems to have made great strides in her shooting and her defense. Much less passive. She looked very good. MK will also give us some very good minutes at the #4 or #5. She did not look much like a freshman yesterday at fan fest.

ZagDad