Thread: 2018 - 2019 Player Preview - Chandler Smith

Default 2018 - 2019 Player Preview - Chandler Smith

From The Slipper Still Fits.

2018-19 Player Preview: Chandler Smith
    The redshirt senior is the glue that holds the team together
    By Steven Karr Sep 14, 2018, 9:43am PDT

Last season, Jill Barta was the focal point of the Gonzaga offense. Laura Stockton was the point guard who led the offense. But Chandler Smith was the glue that kept the entire operation together. We often talk about the ultimate glue guys in college basketball; Chandler Smith is the ultimate glue girl for the Gonzaga women.

If you don’t know Smith’s story, she was a top 75 recruit out of Brewster High School (WA) and chose Nebraska over Gonzaga. Her freshman season at Nebraska was riddled by injuries and inconsistent playing time. She transferred to Gonzaga the following season. After her redshirt sophomore campaign, Smith was inserted into the starting lineup last season and did a little bit of everything for the Zags.

Smith is the most versatile player on the roster. The 6’0” senior is listed as a guard, but is most comfortable as a wing. With her versatility, she can play point guard in a pinch and played at the “4” in certain lineups last season.

Smith started all 33 games, led the team in minutes played, and stuffed every category of the stat sheet. She finished the season averaging 9.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, and 1.9 steals per contest. She had three double-doubles and had a game where she was one point away from a triple-double. Her 1.9 steals ranked 5th in the WCC. She earned second team All-WCC honors last year and should become a first team player this season.

Smith and Zykera Rice will probably be leaned on the most to fill the offensive production left behind by Jill Barta’s departure. The biggest improvement Smith can make is efficiency on the offensive end. She only shot 37.5% last season from the field and under 30% from the 3-point line. If you’ve ever watched her play, you would think those numbers are really low because she seems to be everywhere.

If Smith has an uptick in those shooting numbers and continues to pound the glass and be a hawk on defense, there’s reason to believe she can challenge for WCC Player of the Year.

Article Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...chandler-smith

ZagDad

Chandler Smith... the team captain, the one that leads by example. Someone to look up to.

I’m looking forward to seeing Chandler take the team under her wing.

This team will miss Jill’s scoring but I think ALL of the team is going to need to share in the scoring. This team will be more balanced then years past and that could be a real problem for the other teams. I would like to see a team that can score 1 thru 5....

While a few people are concerned about not having a big - big... that isn’t GU ball. Quickness and speed is GU. Big and bad is Saint Marys and tell me who has won more championships and what style of game do you enjoy watching the most?

With 9 players with experience this year, we will need to see the 2 FR get some early playing time to get up to speed with D1 ball. We will be short in number but if they stay healthy, we will be okay.

I hope to see some info and pictures of the team soon... like ZagDad said, we are starving for some news.

Go Zags!!

While a few people are concerned about not having a big - big... that isn’t GU ball. Quickness and speed is GU. Big and bad is Saint Marys and tell me who has won more championships and what style of game do you enjoy watching the most?
    When I see this comment, my first response is; Who was our tallest player on the court last year? The answer of course is JB and the Wirth twins at 6'3". So with nobody taller than 6'3" all we did was win the WCC regular season championship and the WCC tourney. This was done with the Wirth twins and JT as freshman getting considerable PT and our 5-star recruit getting almost no time on the court at all. We would expect significant improvement from the Wirth twins and JT after a year of PT and conditioning and certainly hope LF plays even close to her 5-star rating. We are bringing in two (2) very highly ranked freshman (ranked higher than the Wirth Twins, comparable to JT) who should be able to contribute almost immediately.

I think that when push comes to shove, the WCC coaches will vote the Lady Zags as the favorite to win the league again and they have the players and the skill to do so.

The one area I will agree with the need for a big is that if we want to advance beyond the first round of the NCAA tourney, We need our players to pick up considerably (see ND who did not have anybody much over 6'3") or we need a dominating big. Take care fans, Anna is coming Fall, 2019, and not only is she tall (6'5") but she has a much more muscular structure than our last few bigs, hopefully meaning she will not get pushed around.

If you look on the Gonzaga Wbb Instagram page you can click on the golf picture to get pictures of most of the team. In addition, if you click on the individual (team) photo you will get pictures of Kylee, Melody and Anna.

Click Here: https://www.instagram.com/Zagwbb/

If you go to GoZags.com and click on the Wbb roster, you can get everybody's picture who was here last year.

Less than a month to go Skip. Zag Up.

ZagDad

we don't play that quick....we have speed but don't use it enough.....this team MUST speed it up....which means fast advancement down the court and having our shooters open almost immediately....in the WCC we've always have had a big gal and our overall height was superior.....but the WCC is catching up......we can certainly play well this year but we must take advantage of our quick guards and good shooting and not so much on a plodding offensive game hoping and praying that Jill can hit.....