Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Rui Playing in FIBA WC Asian Qualifiers This Month

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    If we're gonna make superstar comps, I see him more as Connie Hawkins or Dr J.
    McGinnis from Univ of Minn (who played with David Winfield) and the 76'ers...he was 6'8" and 235lbs...same body size/height...but he didn't shoot the three...he was the consummate PF back then...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    ...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO
    SF at the next level is a guarantee, at least part of the time...SG isn't going to happen. There are plenty of successful NBA hybrid PF's with his physical profile...paul millsap and carmelo just to name two.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    SF at the next level is a guarantee, at least part of the time...SG isn't going to happen. There are plenty of successful NBA hybrid PF's with his physical profile...paul millsap and carmelo just to name two.
    I agree with a lot of people that Rui is one of the most athletic players Gonzaga has had with a great opportunity to play at the next level. His biggest attribute is marketing potential in Japan for the NBA. Compared to the power 5 "McDonald's" players I think he is average at best. Watching his FIBA performance this summer shows how he really needs to improve his ball handling and shooting from deep to actually play against the top player's. I feel he grew a lot from last summer and was playing at a much faster pace and struggled playing with teammates on the Japanese team that were not able to keep up. Hopefully I'm not flamed for expressing my opinion. I'm a great supporter of Rui as a Zag just trying to be realistic about his NBA future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

McGinnis from Univ of Minn (who played with David Winfield) and the 76'ers...he was 6'8" and 235lbs...same body size/height...but he didn't shoot the three...he was the consummate PF back then...Rui will have to play the SG or SF at the next level...IMO
    hey Bogozags, you talking George McGinnis? I remember him well, his release was like a one handed shot put, different from Rui seems to me, and bulging muscles just looked different, but Great player, and also finesse. I get the comparison on that level, the power/finesse combo. I think he went to Indiana.

On the Hawkins comparison, my point is Rui has a similar body, similar release, similar face up game...they look the same in those things. Will Rui be an all time great like Hawkins? who knows, I'm with White lightning in the let's see some of these things develop first, but IF making comparison to superstars.......

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Compared to the power 5 "McDonald's" players I think he is average at best.
    if you're going to make a statement like this, can you please tell me who these imaginary "power 5 mcdonald's" power forwards you are comparing to rui actually are???

I'm not talking about one individual power forward. I'm just stating athletically Rui athleticism is comparable to a lot of players who have played over the years for other power 5 teams that go on to the NBA. That's one of the major obsticals the Zags run into every year in March. Example Florida State last year. They were more athletic across the board. I'm sorry WWZag if I've ruffled your feathers just my opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    if you're going to make a statement like this, can you please tell me who these imaginary "power 5 mcdonald's" power forwards you are comparing to rui actually are???

The NBA is a completely different level.....Rui maybe the best athlete that has played at Gonzaga but in the NBA he will have to defend against superb athletes and basketball players......players who have played organized ball and been coached since they were in middle school...….and he will have to be able to score from the 3 point line....

In any case he is sure fun to watch as a Zag and that is what is important for now....IMHO of course..

I'm not talking about one individual power forward. I'm just stating athletically Rui athleticism is comparable to a lot of players who have played over the years for other power 5 teams that go on to the NBA. That's one of the major obsticals the Zags run into every year in March. Example Florida State last year. They were more athletic across the board. I'm sorry WWZag if I've ruffled your feathers just my opinions.

So his athleticism is that of an average 4 in the P5? average starting 4 in the P5? Average NBA-bound 4?

Nope. Way off. Somebody ban this guy.

my feathers aren't the least bit ruffled and you are of course entitled to your opinions...but you need to back them up. sure, fsu was more athletic across the board, but not a single one of them is a projected lottery pick like rui...that alone tells you he's not average in any way. 6'8 230 with a 7'2 wingspan that can grab a rebound and go coast to coast and take off near the free throw line and jump off the wrong foot and still dunk is not average in any way. sure, his skills are still raw...but that's why he's not a top 5 pick, yet...

Context. I was replying to Vanzagger's "use him like Magic, Bird, Lebron", and merely saying that in terms of style I think he's more like the 2 I cited than those 3, IF we're gonna compare him to superstars.

I saw the Hawk at the Spectrum in Philly when he was playing for Phoenix ca. '69 or 70 with Big Daddy Lattin, and agree w/ you. Of course, the undeserved blackballing derailed his career in his prime, but yeah he was one of the greats and a personal favorite.

eta- oops, meant to quote Jazz' post re the Hawk a few posts back. Responding to that.
    Last edited by maynard g krebs; 10-02-2018 at 05:59 PM.

McGinnis played his one college season at Indiana, per Basketball Reference site.

When I followed the NBA my team was the sixers. McGinnis was part of the playground allstars, with Chocolate Thunder and World B. et al. Total ratball team w/ McGinnis, who was known for smoking cigarettes in the locker room at halftime. They won a title after trading McGInnis for Bobby Jones, which allowed them to become a cohesive team.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Context. I was replying to Vanzagger's "use him like Magic, Bird, Lebron", and merely saying that in terms of style I think he's more like the 2 I cited than those 3, IF we're gonna compare him to superstars.

I saw the Hawk at the Spectrum in Philly when he was playing for Phoenix ca. '69 or 70 with Big Daddy Lattin, and agree w/ you. Of course, the undeserved blackballing derailed his career in his prime, but yeah he was one of the greats and a personal favorite.

One of my favorites too. Fun style to watch.

here's a little McGinnis HoF video to compare Rui to.
    Sixers were my NBA team too back then. Still can see his miss at the buzzer from the elbow vs. Portland in the finals, front rim clang. it hurt! bet there's some great northwest posters here who have more happy memories of that series