Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rui Playing in FIBA WC Asian Qualifiers This Month

I stayed up late and watched the game.
    He's become so
    Multidimensional! I watched on espn plus. You can see it again there and see his future games. Sensational performance.

It's really too bad that Rui and Watanabe won't be able to join Japan for the remaining qualifiers, as Japan seems unlikely to be able to win all the remaining games to qualify for China, where Rui would be such a sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    It's really too bad that Rui and Watanabe won't be able to join Japan for the remaining qualifiers, as Japan seems unlikely to be able to win all the remaining games to qualify for China, where Rui would be such a sensation.
    It sure is. Checked Zags schedule and the qualification games (11/26 & 12/03 in Japan) are too close up against Zags early season gauntlet: 12/1 @ Creighton; 12/5 UW; 12/9 Tenn; 12/15 UNC. If the cream puff games were early December maybe Zags let him go represent but don’t see it happening w this schedule.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

I am so impressed with Rui's growth as a basketball player. He has developed a beautiful fall away jump shot which will be unblockable. His shot is beautiful watch the rotation on the ball and you'll see why I say that. Rui will be gone after this year; so enjoy all his games. I can hardly wait to see him glide through the air. I can hardly wait to see him dribbling down court on a fast break and dishing off for a layup, or just keeping the ball and dunking it. I believe he's our best player in transition. Give him the ball.
    I can also see all the work he has been putting in on that move where he fakes to the basket and attacks the basket and dunks. He is SO quick. Thats a great move. It's called the Rocker.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    They have 2 games against Qatar and 1 home game versus Kazakhstan. Those are very winnable even with those two unavailable. (especially if Fazekas is healthy and available) And it is possible Watanabe will be allowed to go. Iran on the road would be a tough W regardless of who is there, particularly if Iran had a full lineup.

Jordan has a much tougher schedule with NZ*2, South Korea and China. Philippines has a similar schedule to Japan but with Kazakhstan twice instead of Qatar.

3-1 gives them a fighting chance and is still very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Ira's dunk at 41 seconds!!!
    Dunking as a Zag...

https://youtu.be/lrGQWlxybxQ

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    Dunking as a Zag...

https://youtu.be/lrGQWlxybxQ
    I knew what it was before I clicked. Best dunk I have ever seen in person.

Watching Rui in the FIBA qualifiers (man has he been impressive) has made me strongly believe that he needs to spend most of his time at the power forward this season (consequently, I also now believe that should be his projected NBA position). He is such a match up nightmare for opposing big men. He's got the strength to handle them in the post defensively and the agility to blow by them on offence. He is so effective posting up and sealing his defender or catching in the mid post and beating his defender off the dribble. It doesn't take advantage of his strengths to have him floating on the perimeter hoisting up more three pointers or trying to beat smaller, quicker defenders off the bounce.

Having said that, I think the starting line-ups that I would look at are either: Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Tillie or Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Hachimura, Tillie. These smaller line-ups with more ball handlers and spacing do feel a bit more like Few's style than going big with Rui, Tillie, and Clarke.

As Rui posts up and does the quick turn towards the baseline to the basket, he needs to be careful of that right elbow. He's been called for O fouls in the past on that very move and one of the highlights looked very close to hooking with that elbow. You know teams will pick up on it and yell at the refs to call it, because that is the only way to stop him when he makes that move.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Watching Rui in the FIBA qualifiers (man has he been impressive) has made me strongly believe that he needs to spend most of his time at the power forward this season (consequently, I also now believe that should be his projected NBA position). He is such a match up nightmare for opposing big men. He's got the strength to handle them in the post defensively and the agility to blow by them on offence. He is so effective posting up and sealing his defender or catching in the mid post and beating his defender off the dribble. It doesn't take advantage of his strengths to have him floating on the perimeter hoisting up more three pointers or trying to beat smaller, quicker defenders off the bounce.

Having said that, I think the starting line-ups that I would look at are either: Perkins, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Tillie or Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Hachimura, Tillie. These smaller line-ups with more ball handlers and spacing do feel a bit more like Few's style than going big with Rui, Tillie, and Clarke.
    Use him like Magic, Bird, or James. Why win the championship by 5 when you can win it by 10
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

This is exactly how he was used last year, very effectively.

Why might Rui's usage change, or maybe a better term, evolve?

IF the perimeter situation this season regarding other Zag players' ability/effectiveness/availability dictates, perhaps Rui gets more opportunity on the perimeter. IF so, then we'd be able to see what happens given minutes there. I think we'd like the results but we haven't seen him asked to do it really. He has shown that he can defend the perimeter pretty darn well already against the quick smaller guys through the switching D. But against the elite teams, perhaps being able to drag a big 4 defender outside to guard his threat, if he can establish it, might help the Zags?

On posting up, I believe in him, but it depends on the matchup so far in his career seems to me. In defending the post, same thing so far. At least that is what I have observed, perhaps mistakenly. Growth in his game here, some consistency--playing with his back to the basket and defending those with their back to the basket-- would be another awesome enhancement to his own skill set and the team's effectiveness. He's improved at this since we first saw him play imo, and can keep rising too.

No doubt he's an absolute terror in the mid post/elbow areas when he turns and faces, just a sick bag of skills in there, and his O board potential is amazing weak side.

Rui Playing in FIBA Asian Qualifiers This Month was fun to follow. Fun to watch him be the man and defer to no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    Use him like Magic, Bird, or James. Why win the championship by 5 when you can win it by 10
    I love Rui as a play maker in the open court, but I still haven't seen enough from him to have much faith in him as an initiator of the offense in the half court. I agree in general, the more touches Rui gets next season, the better.

I would like to see Kispert, Norvell, and Rui combine for 6 assists/game. That would look like a video game. I don’t think Josh would mind. He would be getting more easy buckets
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

I love Rui as a play maker in the open court, but I still haven't seen enough from him to have much faith in him as an initiator of the offense in the half court. I agree in general, the more touches Rui gets next season, the better.
    agreed. other roles than initiator on the perimeter for stretch 4s and 3s

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    explosive power length size opponents nightmare
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    If we're gonna make superstar comps, I see him more as Connie Hawkins or Dr J.

I just hope he lives up to the hype he’s been getting and delivers on a truly dominant junior season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Thanks Zd.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."