• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Pre-lim meeting with the town this week, if all goes according to plan.
    Best of luck! I can't wait to taste some of your elixir!
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• kitzbuel
      • Feb 2007

Pre-lim meeting with the town this week, if all goes according to plan.
      It's probably in here somewhere, but what is the actual municipality you are under?
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
        It's probably in here somewhere, but what is the actual municipality you are under?
        Will break it down for you.

NY State... then Suffolk County... then Town of Islip. Now, if the village we are looking at was incorporated... then that would be the lowest level of government (which depending on the village is a good or bad thing). The place we are looking at is NOT in an incorporated village. Original place we were looking at was in the Town of Babylon... which is far less business friendly. They basically scared that landlord off. Note, lowest level of government trumps higher on zoning and etc. Which is why sometimes, depending on the village, it is better or worse.
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Guy that was supposed to set the meeting up said the town didn't think it would be necessary and building is already zoned to allow for a microbrewery.

Talked to my business partner... we are ready to move forward. Need to get investors lined up, sign lease, and apply for change of use. Hopefully that will transpire in the next couple of weeks. Also need a new survey of the building. Guy did say it might trigger a site plan review, but expects that it will get waived as the property is literally the building and a backyard.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Guy that was supposed to set the meeting up said the town didn't think it would be necessary and building is already zoned to allow for a microbrewery.

Talked to my business partner... we are ready to move forward. Need to get investors lined up, sign lease, and apply for change of use. Hopefully that will transpire in the next couple of weeks. Also need a new survey of the building. Guy did say it might trigger a site plan review, but expects that it will get waived as the property is literally the building and a backyard.
            Nice! You guys could be in business by this fall?

Are you going to give notice at that point or do double duty?

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
              Nice! You guys could be in business by this fall?

Are you going to give notice at that point or do double duty?
              Fall may be too quick. Lots of hoops to jump through before we can even swing a hammer. But I am hoping to be open next spring. I mean we may be able to be open sooner but we may end up soft opening and then have grand opening in the spring. As to quitting my job. Nope, plan is to do double duty as long as I possibly can. Much of the work I do can be done anywhere, so I am going to see if I can work out working remotely twice a week so I can brew a couple mornings a week.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Just had phone conference with our lawyer. Should have our investor agreement buttoned up early next week. He feels that if we leave the Beer Garden out initially and file for it after we have opened, that it will speed the process. He said, if we leave it off... probably about 8 months to get permits and can begin work.... leave it on and it would add 9 or more months and may not be approved in the end. So we are on track to having a lease signed by the end of the month or so.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Spent the evening doing a dry run on the assembly of the plumbing parts on the fermentor. Tomorrow, disassembly and repeat. This brewing thing is making me do the one damn thing I won't touch in my house... plumbing. But we are all about sanitation... so you gotta know how to breakdown clean, sanitize and reassemble. Phish... damn you man... Still finding easter eggs in those canisters. What decade were those adverts from? Late 50s? The kick-ass growler from Deschuttes... The old school Zag finger... Books galore... coasters even... Thanks to you so much!!!

The wood paddle... homemade or store bought? Beautiful piece either way.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Spent the evening doing a dry run on the assembly of the plumbing parts on the fermentor. Tomorrow, disassembly and repeat. This brewing thing is making me do the one damn thing I won't touch in my house... plumbing. But we are all about sanitation... so you gotta know how to breakdown clean, sanitize and reassemble. Phish... damn you man... Still finding easter eggs in those canisters. What decade were those adverts from? Late 50s? The kick-ass growler from Deschuttes... The old school Zag finger... Books galore... coasters even... Thanks to you so much!!!

The wood paddle... homemade or store bought? Beautiful piece either way.
                    Hey man!

Haven't been on the Foo in a bit, but glad I stopped by today!

I don't remember where the paddle originated. I received so much good stuff from my mentors and friends at the beginning of my brewing journey, I've still got karmic debt to pay!

So happy for you guys.
                    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Will break it down for you.

NY State... then Suffolk County... then Town of Islip. Now, if the village we are looking at was incorporated... then that would be the lowest level of government (which depending on the village is a good or bad thing). The place we are looking at is NOT in an incorporated village. Original place we were looking at was in the Town of Babylon... which is far less business friendly. They basically scared that landlord off. Note, lowest level of government trumps higher on zoning and etc. Which is why sometimes, depending on the village, it is better or worse.
                      You live in one of the nicest areas of the country.

Do you drive to work or take the train?

I know they were trying to get the airport going at Islip, did that ever work? Seems like it would be a good little SW hub or something.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        You live in one of the nicest areas of the country.

Do you drive to work or take the train?
                        I work where mass transit barely exists. Brookville is a very expensive zip code. Plus, the time it would take to take mass transit, I could drive there and be at work for 1/2 hour to an hour. Honestly, on most mornings it is about a 35-40 minute commute in... 45-50 home. Have never figured out why it is so much worse coming home... just is.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

I work where mass transit barely exists. Brookville is a very expensive zip code. Plus, the time it would take to take mass transit, I could drive there and be at work for 1/2 hour to an hour. Honestly, on most mornings it is about a 35-40 minute commute in... 45-50 home. Have never figured out why it is so much worse coming home... just is.
                          30-45 minutes isn't bad at all. I would kind of like that amount of time to think about the day, gather my thoughts, etc.

Getting home, I would want to be home in 2 minutes.

Good luck with all the zoning stuff. It can be maddening. If you have the funds, do hire an attorney who does nothing but local zoning. Zoning is supposed to be like any other law, applied to everyone across the board, clearly written, etc. But depending on the board, it can be cliquish, provincial, all that. You want to be tied-in with someone who is "tied-in" and can get variances, all that, if needed.

It would be heartbreaking if you did the hard part, develop a beer menu that people want and find popular, but then get tripped up at a late stage.

I am excited for you. You have worked so hard.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            30-45 minutes isn't bad at all. I would kind of like that amount of time to think about the day, gather my thoughts, etc.

Getting home, I would want to be home in 2 minutes.

Good luck with all the zoning stuff. It can be maddening. If you have the funds, do hire an attorney who does nothing but local zoning. Zoning is supposed to be like any other law, applied to everyone across the board, clearly written, etc. But depending on the board, it can be cliquish, provincial, all that. You want to be tied-in with someone who is "tied-in" and can get variances, all that, if needed.

It would be heartbreaking if you did the hard part, develop a beer menu that people want and find popular, but then get tripped up at a late stage.

I am excited for you. You have worked so hard.
                            Zoning should be cool. It is part of the current zoning, so they really can't say no to the use.

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Zoning should be cool. It is part of the current zoning, so they really can't say no to the use.
                              I must have misread the whole post.

Good for you.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                                • Feb 2007

So... business plans are in front of investors. Wrapping up lawyer issues and investor agreements hopefully this week or early next week. Need on check in hand and we sign a lease. Then this gets really real.

Comment

Working...
                                X