Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LIZFs Brewing News Thread

OK... sorry for the 3 month hiatus. Been dealing with towns, lawyers, etc.

Here is where we stand.

Met with architect yesterday will be sitting with him next week to get into more detailed design work.
    Have a parking/traffic study being done Friday and Saturday.
    Lawyer is reviewing our lease and should be back to us this week... assuming our lawyer finds the out clause in the lease as being strong enough.

If all goes as planned, could be signing a lease next week. Once parking study is done and architect gives us a very simple plan for the town to look at, we are hoping to get on the January town docket for initial approval. Basically, zoning-wise they cannot say no... but parking will be an issue as there are hundreds of apartments going in over the next 1.5 years. Everything is going to come down to occupancy. If we get past the initial town meeting... which for the record, we already met with the head of planning for the town, and he is 100% behind our little project... but still needs to go through the regular process.

Once we get past the town, then we get to deal with the county. We are hoping that based on a couple other breweries that have recently went through this process, that it will be more streamlined as the county tries to get a grip on dealing with the waste water.

I hope that this won't turn into another 3 months of silence... but doubt it because things are making serious moved forward.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I really hope this all works out for you. I don’t get down to the greater NYC area very often, but I hope to make a side trip on my next visit.

Once we get open... by all means come in... will take care of you.

Town iteslf can't deny us on usage as the use is already part of the current zoning. Like I said, biggest issues are parking and county mostly for wastewater... I know from friends that they have to drain into a slop sink, which makes zero sense, and they have to add a trap so the town can take water samples from time to time. I mean , hey, whatever they want... just expedite the process. We're really hoping that they got their act together with the last couple of breweries. Honestly, a lot of the older ones were kind of given free reign on what went into the sewer systems... now the county is trying to get a firmer grasp on it... and I get that. Honestly one of biggest chemicals breweries use is sanitzer. Those kill bacteria... problem is that bacteria is a major part of what is used in sewage plants.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Wow.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Meeting with architect tomorrow to go over basic design work... mostly so we can get a simple sketch to the town before January. Then we start designing in earnest... Although we pretty much know what we want to do.

Waiting on revisions to lease from landlord... hoping to sign in the next couple weeks. Meeting with architect Tuesday to review first full sketch. Ready to hit the road running.

OK... so here is where we stand. Lawyer reviewed lease, made suggestions for changes, we worked all that out with the landlord and have asked that our landlord's lawyer work with ours to get the final lease put together. Hoping to be signing it early next week. I know... been saying that... but this time we are in the home stretch.

Also, have had discussions with a few vendors, leaning toward Alpha Brewing Operations for our brewhouse. They are a solid vendor, they came in much higher than a couple of other companies on the initial quote. But JT, their sales rep was up on LI, so we met with him... explained we had quotes lower than his... be proceeded to knock about 30K off the price. I was shocked how much he took off. That being said, I have talked to a few breweries with their equipment and they all love their systems. Not to mention, THEY come to install, not just deliver, and they actually train you hands on... other companies were like... yeah... we can walk you through that over the phone.

Selecting equipment vendors is a big deal for a production operation, whether it's making widgets or making brews. Service after the sale, parts support, process engineers / technicians. . .

Congratulations on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Selecting equipment vendors is a big deal for a production operation, whether it's making widgets or making brews. Service after the sale, parts support, process engineers / technicians. . .

Gotta say... they definitely treat you like family

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

I agree completely. An extra 15-20% on an initial purchase price might save you a lot of time and money in the long run, if you find a vendor who will help you keep your business running.

I am convinced that our landlord's attorney is a complete idiot. He finally sends the "final lease" to our lawyer.... it was the wrong version.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I am convinced that our landlord's attorney is a complete idiot. He finally sends the "final lease" to our lawyer.... it was the wrong version.
    LOL, maybe he's trying to squeeze a few more billable hours out of the landlord.
    Bring back the OCC

Lease printed, in hand, being signed tonight. @&@$ is about to get real.

Congratulations. Good luck, and build something great.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Congratulations. Good luck, and build something great.
    Thank you good sir.

Lease printed, in hand, being signed tonight. @&@$ is about to get real.
    Holy ####! Congratulations !!!

Thanks brother!

Lease signed last Saturday morning. Have keys. We are on the clock.

This might be my favorite thread on the entire GUBoards.

Congrats, LIZF.

Lease signed last Saturday morning. Have keys. We are on the clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    This might be my favorite thread on the entire GUBoards.

Congrats, LIZF.
    Absolutely no dissent from me either. I ALWAYS support good beer, especially when I know the brewer.

Hey. I may be moving back near that way. Thinking east Tennessee or into N Carolina. That isn't too far to run up and get a beer after work, is it? LOL
    It's not funny.

NC.. definitely closer... but TN would be quite a drive.

Thanks guys. Going to start doing some demo work on the downlow (not permitted yet) over the weekend. Will start taking pictures for posterity

So... went in and started taking all the drop ceiling tiles down. Most of the duct work is going to need to be redone as some of it is in really bad shape... but we might go ductless heating/cooling instead. We kind of expected this anyhow so it was in the budget somewhat. If we do go ductless it will save money in the end. Looks like most of the walls are the metal studs. Bonus for us, scrap metal places pay good money for that stuff. Between the grid for the cieling tiles and the metal studs we should make a bit of money recycling it. Electrical is going to need work as well, but we need to get everything ripped out to really figure out what we need. Most of it can be simplified and/or ripped out and redone as we don't need the amount of lighting the place currently has. It was a physical therapy place before, so it has a bunch of smaller rooms with outlets and wall lamps. All I can say is that even though those ceiling panels were light, man, having your arms up over your head for that long makes you feel it later that day. Have a meeting with our lawyer early this coming week to prepare for the town.

Five stars
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

It would be five IPAs... no?

Sorry... but somewhat boring updates this time around. Insurance taken care, moving utilities over to us, phone conference with lawyer... finalizing a few things and hoping to file with the town in the next week or so. Just waiting on a few things from architect.