Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Battle 4 Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    And I will be there!!! Flying out from Atlanta on Tuesday. Purchased the entire 12 game package. My eyes might turn orange with black stripes before the end of the week.
    Hoping the Zags will play much better than they did against UT-Arlington!!
    Safe travels, GZF. Hope to read your takes on the games, the venue, and the experience next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Safe travels, GZF. Hope to read your takes on the games, the venue, and the experience next week.
    Thanks Reno, I will take some pictures and post comments/reflections about the event.
    I am curious about the venue. I've heard it is a ballroom(?) that is converted into a basketball arena for this event with just a little over 2,000 seats.

..and did you know that the 2 previous winners of the B4A are Villanova and Virginia? ... and both went on to win another little tournament before the season was finished!

take care and look for me at the games...I will be the one who looks like Santa Clause wearing Zag clothes!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Smile Pass the gravy, pass the ball. . .Thanksgiving Dinner work-arounds

On Thanksgiving Day, GU will probably face the winner of the Seton Hall / Oregon match-up. Per the B4A bracket, that game is supposed to tip at 1:00pm PST; the MattSarz link indicates a 12:30pm tip, so I'm guessing we won't know with certainty the start time on Turkey Day until some time later on Weds afternoon/evening.

Unfortunately, that start time falls into the time window for the Thanksgiving meal I usually attend.

Any strategies for blending stuffing on the table with stuffs on the court ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-25-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Jinx lingo ameliorated

Turn your phone off. Enjoy your family/friends and meal. Watch recording of game while Turkey settles. No nap this year!

GU should beat Mississippi St handily. I would like to see Oregon beat Seton Hall because I want to see if Woolridge and Ayayi can shut down Anthony Mathis. If so, GU should win that game. Our defense should win that game.

On Thanksgiving Day, GU will face the winner of the Seton Hall / Oregon.

Any strategies for blending stuffing on the table with stuffs on the court ?
    I think Zag Fever is gonna be pretty prominent that day. If you need a doctor's note, I've got your back Reno

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    I think Zag Fever is gonna be pretty prominent that day. If you need a doctor's note, I've got your back Reno
    Cough, cough. . .

John Gasaway, via ESPN Insider, on "Feast Week" tournaments as a predictor for March / April success:

Over the past 10 years, however, the relationship between November and March and even April success has in fact been rather striking. Look no further than the 2019 national championship game, when 2018 Battle 4 Atlantis champion Virginia defeated 2018 Hall of Fame Classic winner Texas Tech. To get that far, the Cavaliers and Red Raiders had to defeat a 2018 Maui Jim Invitational semifinalist (Auburn) and the 2018 Las Vegas Invitational winner (Michigan State), respectively.

Nor was the 2019 Final Four all that unusual in this respect. In fact, the most recent national champion that didn't win a holiday tournament was Louisville in 2013. (The Cardinals finished second to Duke at the 2012 Maui Invitational.) No fewer than nine of the past 10 national finalists have reached Monday night in April after winning a holiday tournament in November.
    The rest of the article is here: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ot-takes-prove

My DirecTV guide as of today shows these times/channels for all of our possible games:

Wed 4pm ESPNU
    Thu 1pm ESPN (win game 1)
    Thu 6pm ESPN2 (lose game 1)
    Fri 8:30am ESPN (win game 1, lose game 2)
    Fri 11am ESPN (win game 1, win game 2)
    Fri 4pm ESPNU (lose game 1, win game 2)
    Fri 6:30pm ESPNU (lose game 1, lose game 2)

I don't know if any of those will be shuffled to other channels....that's just what my guide is showing now.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    GU should beat Mississippi St handily.
    Disagree. Those Bulldogs are pretty tough in their own right.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    GU should beat Southern Miss handily. I would like to see Oregon beat Seton Hall because I want to see if Woolridge and Ayayi can shut down Anthony Mathis. If so, GU should win that game. Our defense should win that game.
    Fixed it for ya

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Disagree. Those Bulldogs are pretty tough in their own right.
    As Reno notes, they don't play those Bulldogs.

They play the University of Southern Miss, different school than Mississippi State.

Southern Miss are the Golden Eagles, and a struggling basketball program even within Conf USA.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    As Reno notes, they don't play those Bulldogs.

They play the University of Southern Miss, different school than Mississippi State.

Southern Miss are the Golden Eagles, and a struggling basketball program even within Conf USA.
    Thus the point of my post...................
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I might be taking the work day off on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    Turn your phone off. Enjoy your family/friends and meal. Watch recording of game while Turkey settles. No nap this year!
    And wear your red sweater...…

Anybody notice the logo top left of the bracket I posted above? Says it all who's gonna win (forget the mowing part, but you can accept the bad boys part.... Well maybe keep the mowing part, too. I like mowing down opponents sometimes). Can't wait for Wednesday!@!

Default I'm rooting for him

We are going to need him this week.

Speaking of Kispert, there’s no question he is in a funk. He was out 30 minutes prior to everyone else last night to get up shots and he looked like the confident Kispert that scored 28 points in the opener. But once the ball tipped, he couldn’t hit anything. He’s 2-for-17 from deep in his last three games and has totaled 10 points, five turnovers and an average offensive rating of 54. To put it bluntly, the Bulldogs need Kispert to get right to have a chance to win the Battle for Atlantis.
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...su-bakersfield

On Thanksgiving Day, GU will face the winner of the Seton Hall / Oregon match-up....
    Well there you go Reno, if we lose to Southern Miss we'll know who to blame. You better throw some salt over your shoulder, go outside and turn around three times, and do whatever else is necessary to take the hex off.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

On Thanksgiving Day, GU will probably face the winner of the Seton Hall / Oregon match-up....
    Fixed it, but I think you still need to take the hex off from your end.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Default Southern Miss

Isn’t Southern Miss the school of Brett Fav-ray?

“What the hell is Brett Favre doing here?”

Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    And miss the pathos of the live game thread. . .?!?

And miss the pathos of the live game thread. . .?!?

classic
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Katz had this to say (in a column at NCAA.com that briefly covered all of the holiday tournaments) re: B4A

And some still complain about the Zags schedule here.

Yes, it'd be nice if every game in the OOC was against a ranked team... but I think the Zags are in for a tough test over the next 20 or so days.

I get the complaints about the cupcakes... but honestly, if there was any Zag team that needs some time to gel and not get throttled by a top tier team it is this inexperienced, albeit talented, squad.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Oregon and Seton Hall really got shafted for this Tournament.

1. The have to play the hardest first round game among all teams in the field.
    2. (assuming gonzaga doesn't drop game one) the winner will have to play the second highest ranked team in the field.
    3. They play in the last time slot and the winner must turn around and play the 1:00 slot the next day which is the shortest turn around of all teams in the field.

Look for few to go to the bench early if the zags are leading in order to fully take advantage of this situation.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...antis-champio/

“If we want to be a national program, which we do and which we are, that’s what we do,” Few said. “It’s a small group of teams that are invited to these types of elite-level tournaments, we happen to be one of them. It’s worked out great for us over the years, irregardless of the outcomes of the games.”

The Zags got a head start on the trip, boarding a charter plane Sunday for the Bahamas. The weather forecast for the week calls for highs around 80 degrees and lows in the low 70s with gentle island breezes.