Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123

Thread: 2019 Battle 4 Atlantis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,695

    Default 2019 Battle 4 Atlantis


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Maybe Geno will be eligible by then.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Maybe we’ll finally get to play Oregon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    UNC twice would be fun

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe Geno will be eligible by then.
    Ha!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,192

    Default

    Is anything definite on Geno yet?? I see rumors and conjecture..... BUT this is a very good field.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe Geno will be eligible by then.
    I'm hearing rumors that Geno is going to RS, so he can play next year...he has never been to the Bahamas and remembers seeing pictures of PK, DS and KW going down that water slide! It sure did look like fun...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm hearing rumors that Geno is going to RS, so he can play next year...he has never been to the Bahamas and remembers seeing pictures of PK, DS and KW going down that water slide! It sure did look like fun...
    Seriously, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Seriously, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.
    So true. Our pg needs are far more dire next year than this one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,225

    Default

    The only non-Bahama date that I know is set in stone for 2019/20 is Arizona on Saturday, 12/14:

    https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welco...zaga-schedule/

    Because of Atlantis next season, I sincerely wouldn't be shocked if both Gonzaga and UNC agree to skip the return game next season and to do it the following season. I know GU played Tennessee 2x in the same season back in 2008/09, but that was also at a time when WCC teams AND power conference teams could still schedule non-league games in early January. Now you can't. The ACC has a 20 game league sked now, and they have to get league play started in December. I am sure Gonzaga wants the UNC game when the students on campus. I would imagine Few and Roy do not want to play each other in the Bahamas and then play each other again in 7 days in Spokane. Both teams will probably want to play a guarantee game or two after that tournament. UNC has to travel 750 miles to get to the Bahamas; GU 2,676 miles. UNC has to travel 2,573 miles to get to Spokane.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    So true. Our pg needs are far more dire next year than this one.
    Would that impact any of our 2019 recruiting targets? I’m thinking it could.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Would that impact any of our 2019 recruiting targets? I’m thinking it could.
    The pg pipeline is full of potential holes already. Can’t help.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Seriously, or just kidding? If true that would surely alleviate our pg issues for next season. Could be a blessing in disguise.
    At the time I had not read all the post in the two threads, so my post was tongue-in-cheek...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe Geno will be eligible by then.

    That would be cool.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm hearing rumors that Geno is going to RS, so he can play next year...he has never been to the Bahamas and remembers seeing pictures of PK, DS and KW going down that water slide! It sure did look like fun...
    He has already burned a RS year. . .


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    I’m not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. It’s basically a ballroom converted to a gym. It’s probably the worst venue I’ve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasn’t that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldn’t want folks to think it is something it isn’t.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Iím not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. Itís basically a ballroom converted to a gym. Itís probably the worst venue Iíve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasnít that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldnít want folks to think it is something it isnít.
    I went in 2015 and we stayed at the Comfort Suites, which is just steps off of the Atlantis property but still gives you access to the Atlantis waterpark and other amenities. I found it to be a decent enough deal compared to what Atlantis was charging, plus included free breakfast which saved a ton in and of itself for 5 days. If you go in expecting the Ritz, you won't get it, but if you expect a decent room for a tourist price there, you'll be satisfied. I would agree that Atlantis is overpriced for the quality level and especially the food. Only ate 1 meal at Atlantis and found other spots around Paradise Island or in Nassau that were a chunk cheaper.

    I disagree about the arena though and actually think it's kinda fun in its uniqueness, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's so small there's obviously not a bad seat in the building and the seats I had 5 or 6 rows from the court were fun to hear the shoes squeaking and players talking to each other, especially for some of the more lightly attended games.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I’m not trying to be negative about the Battle for Atlantis but I think people who are contemplating going need to have realistic expectations. I went last time. The facility is fairly awful. It’s basically a ballroom converted to a gym. It’s probably the worst venue I’ve seen. Then, too, in all honesty, I wasn’t that impressed with the hotel. I stayed in the older part and it is pretty run down. Again, sorry for the negative energy but it cost a nickel or two to get there and I wouldn’t want folks to think it is something it isn’t.
    Atlantis isn't exactly a premier destination. The surrounding beaches and all are pretty trashy too. I was at the Baha Mar on the other side of the island the weekend it opened. That was much cooler and nicer. I suspect that will gradually get more traction. I still don't know how they can have the tourney in a ballroom. It's a sad venue for such high level play.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    Atlantis isn't exactly a premier destination. The surrounding beaches and all are pretty trashy too. I was at the Baha Mar on the other side of the island the weekend it opened. That was much cooler and nicer. I suspect that will gradually get more traction. I still don't know how they can have the tourney in a ballroom. It's a sad venue for such high level play.
    Well. like you said, it IS a ballroom.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ConnZag3 View Post
    I went in 2015 and we stayed at the Comfort Suites, which is just steps off of the Atlantis property but still gives you access to the Atlantis waterpark and other amenities. I found it to be a decent enough deal compared to what Atlantis was charging, plus included free breakfast which saved a ton in and of itself for 5 days. If you go in expecting the Ritz, you won't get it, but if you expect a decent room for a tourist price there, you'll be satisfied. I would agree that Atlantis is overpriced for the quality level and especially the food. Only ate 1 meal at Atlantis and found other spots around Paradise Island or in Nassau that were a chunk cheaper.

    I disagree about the arena though and actually think it's kinda fun in its uniqueness, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's so small there's obviously not a bad seat in the building and the seats I had 5 or 6 rows from the court were fun to hear the shoes squeaking and players talking to each other, especially for some of the more lightly attended games.
    Is it possible to purchase tickets separately from a resort stay? I looked in 2015 and couldn’t find anything that wasn’t a package deal with a room reservation.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,225

    Default

    Atlantis came out of the gates saying it was their goal to one day become the #1 college basketball holiday tournament. I just don't see Maui handing over the title anytime soon. Especially since they redid the gym and installed air conditioning.

    Another thing that is weird about Atlantis is how it looks on TV. The crowd is blackened out. You really cannot see anything but the floor from a television set.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Atlantis came out of the gates saying it was their goal to one day become the #1 college basketball holiday tournament. I just don't see Maui handing over the title anytime soon. Especially since they redid the gym and installed air conditioning.

    Another thing that is weird about Atlantis is how it looks on TV. The crowd is blackened out. You really cannot see anything but the floor from a television set.
    Having an actual gym is a good start. I think it's blackened out so you don't see the horseradish stains on the carpet and empty high ball glasses left over from the banquet dinner that was held there the night before :]

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Is it possible to purchase tickets separately from a resort stay? I looked in 2015 and couldnít find anything that wasnít a package deal with a room reservation.
    I don't know if you can buy only booster tickets, but I was able to buy all-session tickets separate from any room package in 2015. I think it was like $370 total or something for each ticket to all 12 games. Or like half the price of all-session tickets to Maui...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    16,977

    Default Battle for Atlantis 2019 Field Announced - Zags and Who Else?

    From Twitter:
    Adam Zagoria
    ‏Verified account @AdamZagoria

    The 2019 Battle for Atlantis field has been named: Oregon, Alabama, Gonzaga, Iowa State, North Carolina, Michigan, Seton Hall and Southern Mississippi.
    The Tournament currently runs from Wednesday before Thanksgiving and ends Friday after Thanksgiving.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    Love to see what the tournament payouts are? Appearance money

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •