Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: ATTN: Texas Zag fans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,521

    Default ATTN: Texas Zag fans

    Texas zag folks,

    I just moved from Spokane to Dallas, and while most of our games will be on national TV - how do you cope with the locals? Do I have to find a friend with remote access to their cable box?

    Any help would be appreciated!

    AdoptedZag, formerly a spokanite.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,631

    Default

    Directv Root Sports northwest package has served me we over the years in AZ. At least you wonít have to deal with U of A fans over there.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Texas zag folks,

    I just moved from Spokane to Dallas, and while most of our games will be on national TV - how do you cope with the locals? Do I have to find a friend with remote access to their cable box?

    Any help would be appreciated!

    AdoptedZag, formerly a spokanite.
    You just get the sports package from whoever you get your tv from. I've lived in Greenville, SC for 11 years and haven't missed a game.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    You just get the sports package from whoever you get your tv from. I've lived in Greenville, SC for 11 years and haven't missed a game.
    There's the rub - I cut the cord a couple of years back. Really hoping to avoid having to sign up for TV service again. I talked to a friend who has Xfinity which has the "live TV" option, so we'll see how that works out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Directv Root Sports northwest package has served me we over the years in AZ. At least you won’t have to deal with U of A fans over there.
    I've had difficulty adding Root to my cable package the past two years. The good news is they're affiliated with Fox Sports SW in Houston, and often show the Zags when they're on Root. The Zags are a big brand in the Lone Star State...it started with their "we'll play anyone, anywhere" mantra, and carried on from there.

    Football is #1 in Texas, so there's no problem dealing with other schools' fans. There's always a few exceptions, but again, the Zags are highly respected here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    There's the rub - I cut the cord a couple of years back. Really hoping to avoid having to sign up for TV service again. I talked to a friend who has Xfinity which has the "live TV" option, so we'll see how that works out.
    There are so many sports bar with hoops packages here in the Metroplex, it's ridiculous. My wife doesn't like it that I prefer the local Twin Peaks, but it's close to my abode, and I like their beer selection. I look for other venues during Valentines Week, though, as they wear lingerie the entire week. The young women don't seem to mind, but I'm a bit old fashioned for that.

    Within a few blocks, there's now a Hooters, 54th Street, BWW, and Boston's competing for the sports crowd.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    815

    Default

    I live north of Dallas outside of a small town (Pilot Point), which is north and a bit to the west of Frisco). I have no cable option here so I rely on satellite tv. I have had both Directv and Dish and both offer packages that include Root Sports Northwest. Just as a personal recommendation, I switched to Dish and have been much more satisfied. Both charge about the same but Directv would continually play games and raise their price about every six months by 10 to 15 dollars, then I would have to get on the phone complain, and they would lower the price back to what it was. I finally just switched and when I signed up with Dish, I told them I donít like playing games with the price.....they have kept the price exactly the same for three years now and that has made me a satisfied customer. Other than the price issues, there really isnít a hill of beans difference in the two.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    815

    Default

    You know TexasZagFan and I have talked about getting together for a game at some mutually agreed upon watering hole for some time now. We really should schedule something in advance to get a group of us together. I guess the pre-requisite would be finding a spot that would commit to showing the game in some central location.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    You know TexasZagFan and I have talked about getting together for a game at some mutually agreed upon watering hole for some time now. We really should schedule something in advance to get a group of us together. I guess the pre-requisite would be finding a spot that would commit to showing the game in some central location.
    I'm in Frisco, and I'm down to meet whenever/wherever

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    You know TexasZagFan and I have talked about getting together for a game at some mutually agreed upon watering hole for some time now. We really should schedule something in advance to get a group of us together. I guess the pre-requisite would be finding a spot that would commit to showing the game in some central location.
    With the improvements made to 121, I would be fine with a location in the Frisco/The Colony area. I live in Valley Ranch, which is pretty close to just about everything west of 75. I prefer to avoid 635 east of 35 whenever possible.

    You’re right, we need to find a place that Zag fans would frequent regularly on game nights.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    233

    Default

    I stream national games with YouTubeTV, and use theW.tv for local games. That works 99% of the time.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Won't see anything until the season starts and games are being played, but here is the best source for online streams: https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Won't see anything until the season starts and games are being played, but here is the best source for online streams: https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/
    Will keep an eye on that. And tbh, I totally forgot about TheW.tv I'll be making use of it a lot this year I think

    Thanks for the input, everyone!

    TZF and Scott257, I'm going to send you guys PMs

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    With the improvements made to 121, I would be fine with a location in the Frisco/The Colony area. I live in Valley Ranch, which is pretty close to just about everything west of 75. I prefer to avoid 635 east of 35 whenever possible.

    You’re right, we need to find a place that Zag fans would frequent regularly on game nights.
    Maybe we could find a good place around the Hard Eight that is up near that Nebraska Furniture Mart. That kind of splits the difference for us.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Maybe we could find a good place around the Hard Eight that is up near that Nebraska Furniture Mart. That kind of splits the difference for us.
    My wife’s been spending tons of time at Nebraska Furniture, she probably has a boyfriend there by now. I plan on being in the area this week, i’ll look around. I love Hard Eight, but it’s not a good venue for watching games.

    For viewers outside of North Texas, the shots of that huge bbq grill during Cowboys games are from Hard Eight. I think they’ve grown to 6 locations, we have one a few miles from our house.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Will keep an eye on that. And tbh, I totally forgot about TheW.tv I'll be making use of it a lot this year I think

    Thanks for the input, everyone!

    TZF and Scott257, I'm going to send you guys PMs
    Got it and replied. Thanks and welcome to the area. I am down in Frisco often as it seems to be the shopping capital of the DFW area (and is still growing). If you haven’t already tried Hutchins BBQ, I highly recommend it...best brisket in the area.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    My wife’s been spending tons of time at Nebraska Furniture, she probably has a boyfriend there by now. I plan on being in the area this week, i’ll look around. I love Hard Eight, but it’s not a good venue for watching games.

    For viewers outside of North Texas, the shots of that huge bbq grill during Cowboys games are from Hard Eight. I think they’ve grown to 6 locations, we have one a few miles from our house.
    Sounds good. They keep building like crazy in that area with the Toyota Headquarters nearby. I suspect you will find something if not another Twin Peaks, Hooters, or one of those wing joints that seem to have a number of sports channels on all the time.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    There's the rub - I cut the cord a couple of years back. Really hoping to avoid having to sign up for TV service again. I talked to a friend who has Xfinity which has the "live TV" option, so we'll see how that works out.
    I don't think Root works on the "live TV" option on Xfinity unless you are at your home. At least in the Portland area, when I've tried to use that in the past it said it would only work at the "home" location of the account.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Sounds good. They keep building like crazy in that area with the Toyota Headquarters nearby. I suspect you will find something if not another Twin Peaks, Hooters, or one of those wing joints that seem to have a number of sports channels on all the time.
    I'd like to find one that's more family friendly than Hooters or Twin Peaks. Once we decide on such a place, we can notify the local Alumni chapter.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,926

    Default

    The "W" was a reliable option most of last year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    11,381

    Default

    For the record... gruff as he might be... Tex is a cool dude and has a great family... I can attest first hand.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    For the record... gruff as he might be... Tex is a cool dude and has a great family... I can attest first hand.
    Thanks LIZF for the kind words. I’m certain my “likability” quotient improved when the OCC went away. Lol

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'd like to find one that's more family friendly than Hooters or Twin Peaks. Once we decide on such a place, we can notify the local Alumni chapter.
    We still have an active alumni chapter in DFW? I haven't heard from them in years, it seams. And if you guys ever set something up for something a little closer to Fort Worth, I'm game. I don't know if I could do something up toward Frisco, though. That's a haul from southwest FW.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZag View Post
    We still have an active alumni chapter in DFW? I haven't heard from them in years, it seams. And if you guys ever set something up for something a little closer to Fort Worth, I'm game. I don't know if I could do something up toward Frisco, though. That's a haul from southwest FW.
    Sorry to hear that. This all started with scott257, who lives in Pilot Point, and me, a resident of North Irving (Valley Ranch). For the past two seasons, we've tried to get together to catch a game, to no avail. Most of the other alumni that I've met live to the east of I-35E.


    Let's keep trying to get the word out. The Zag Boards are not that well known outside of Spokane. Of the 40 alumni I met at the SMU game a few years ago, only a handful were familiar with it.

    Now that I'm semi-retired, I plan on getting more involved with the DFW alumni chapter. OTOH, with my son in band and basketball, and serving as one of the after school coordinators for "Big D", things stay pretty busy.

    Here they are with Preseason AA Rui Hachimura:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •