Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hachimura Participating in Elite Nike Basketball Academy

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Well that's disappointing
    I thought that the writer of this article about Rui gave us some great information and I would agree with him. This could mean that Rui will be back as a senior and I'd love that. Maybe I'm being selfish. I agree that the body is made for NBA action. He will eventually play in the NBA but it will take time. I agree that he needs to get tougher, and find more passion for the game. I believe that Rui would struggle, as he did in the camp in 5 on 5 action, because he is not used to that style of play that the players played in that camp. He IS used to playing at Gonzaga, and knows that system, and that has taken time. Remember that Rui did quite well in the drills. He HAS the talent, but struggles in free lance 5 on 5 style of play that is used in the camps. When Rui does go pro, I think it will take him a year or two to understand the style of the team that drafts him, as well as the style of play in the NBA. We must remember that he does not have a real good foundation of basketball as he grew up playing in Japan.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The Rui I read about is not the one I saw last year. He was way more physical in the post than most people who guarded him, and that was one of the more surprising things about his game last year. He made some good passes in the lane when the double team came and showed decent feel that belies the comment that he only sees he rim. Perhaps he is not a good freelancer and makes those types of passes as an expected counter to the defense, and he may require more structured offense to make this happen. He is a more willing passer than a lot of guys in the NBA.

He got to the free throw line a lot last year, which is another critique that doesn’t match what I saw.

He missed some shots against Florida St, so perhaps some of the guys he is going against in this camp are more on that level of length and athleticism— that should improve as he gets more exposure to it. But one on one against someone his height he should be an easy scorer. He still has time to learn angles and get his shot up over/around the redwoods.

He has the most work to do on defense, in my opinion, followed by increasing the arch on his shot.

Edit: Sorry, Reborn. I repeated some of what you said without realizing it.

I think this was like his fr year at GU. Ingrained cultural mindset of deferring to his elders. As 50 said, grain of salt. I expect a great year from him.

Let’s hope this experience made him better and more aware of how much room he still has to grow! Going against NBA players is certainly different than what he’ll face next year. Doesn’t change what I think we’ll get out of him this upcoming season at all.

Somewhat in response to Reborn's assessment and wish the Rui would come back for his senior year, and as a question to all the NBA experts on here:

Does or does not the NBA draft on potential?

If he has to improve and yet everyone sees him as a future NBA player, it should be the first, the potential.
    Last edited by willandi; 08-14-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I’ll be shocked if he came back for his senior season. This is most definitely a year where the Zags could win it all, and next year could be pretty tough depending on who leaves. It’ll be a tall task to replace both Geno and Perkins...

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I’ll be shocked if he came back for his senior season. This is most definitely a year where the Zags could win it all, and next year could be pretty tough depending on who leaves. It’ll be a tall task to replace both Geno and Perkins...
    It's been a long time since we've seen two freshmen start at Gonzaga: Pangos and Bell. A very good chance we'll see two freshmen start in '19-'20.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zzzjag View Post
    Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura had trouble translating his success in drills to 5-on-5 action. Ted S. Warren/AP Photo

Rui Hachimura | Jr. | Gonzaga

6-foot-8½ | PF

Hachimura had an up-and-down weekend, looking every bit the part of a lottery pick in drills but having a difficult time translating his talent to the 5-on-5 scrimmages, indicating he's still a work in progress at this stage.

Hachimura's frame has filled out remarkably since arriving at Gonzaga, and he's become significantly more athletic, looking effortless getting off his feet for finishes over the course of the weekend. He shows you flashes of versatility on both ends of the floor, shooting the ball extremely well in drills, covering ground seamlessly defensively, recovering for blocks at the rim and making some impressive drives in the open court. He had a handful of possessions matching up against Durant where he very much looked the part, getting underneath him and using his 7-foot-1½ wingspan to try and force him into difficult shots, as there's no question that he has the potential to be a multipositional defender with his impressive combination of size, strength, length and athleticism.

With that said, Hachimura really struggled to put the ball in the basket over the course of the weekend, as the game still seems to move a little too fast for him at times. He tends to shy away from contact a lot more than you'd hope relative to his tools, missing quite a few layups and rarely getting to the free throw line. His court vision and overall feel for the game leave a lot to be desired still, as he mostly only sees the basket when he catches the ball, driving into brick walls or settling for tough pull-up 2s, rarely making the extra pass along the perimeter or finding the open man on the move. Hachimura's defense is more of a theoretical proposition at this stage, as he tends to get out-toughed by more physical players, letting opponents take rebounds out of his hands and gambling unnecessarily for steals.

It's important to remember that Hachimura hasn't been playing high-level basketball for very long at this stage, essentially redshirting his freshman season and only playing 21 MPG last year. He's likely on a different development curve than most players his age, and it seems that there will continue to be moments of inconsistency as a junior as he figures out how to maximize his talent and be a productive player on both ends of the floor

DOOMED