Thread: WCC Schedule Released

Uggg... BYU on Senior night!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Not only that, but then we have to go TO Moraga for _their_ senior night. Jeez.

So looks like Zags have Sat. night open on 1-26-19. Interested to see if anything pops up there.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagal View Post
    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.
    Was the reveal of the WCC slate supposed to help the overall schedule...?
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

No it's one of the better conference schedules we've had. USF, BYU, SMC all will be competing hard and with way better teams and coaches. We play fewer conference games which frees up the more OOC team which is a more valuable and challenging part of the schedule.
    Sure there are some weakness in the schedule but I think it's a very interesting schedule and tougher than most if you factor in the OOC. When is the last time we had 3-4 conference foes that could beat us without a fluke? This is one of those years IMHO.

blah, who needs the Mountain West when we have all this!

me too

You knew that the WCC, always trying to pull the middle up by bringing GU down, couldn't resist the BYU senior night, and putting us in Moraga on Sr. night. Two of the most difficult games scheduled at most difficult time - not buying it's coincidence.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I can see us laying one egg during conference, but certainly not two.

The WCC hasn't seen a team like ours since 2016 (), though I would add in the USF teams of Russell & Jones, and Bill Cartwright. This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say we could have four first rounders in next year's draft: Rui, Killian, Clarke, and Norvell, if they all decided to take the leap. Depending on the year Josh has, he could be fifth...but he's more likely to be a second rounder due to his age.

And to think that Joel & Filip made the all tournament team at FIBA...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I can see us laying one egg during conference, but certainly not two.

The WCC hasn't seen a team like ours since 2016 (), though I would add in the USF teams of Russell & Jones, and Bill Cartwright. This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say we could have four first rounders in next year's draft: Rui, Killian, Clarke, and Norvell, if they all decided to take the leap. Depending on the year Josh has, he could be fifth...but he's more likely to be a second rounder due to his age.

And to think that Joel & Filip made the all tournament team at FIBA...wow!
    I can agree with your thoughts on those four as it is truly conceivable by but Josh would have to LEAD this team to the NC for him to be considered...

Not trying to argumentative but those LMU teams could all shoot and run all day long. Just my opinion but I think if Gathers didn’t have those heart issues, that 90 team would have given UNLV A tremendous battle in the SS. There were lots of teams that had better talent one of which was UM’s team and they got smoked and Alabama tried to slow them down and didn’t lose by as many as UM and that was without Gathers. IMO, IF LMU did beat UNLV with a healthy Hank, I beli be they would have won the tourney...and IF that had happened the game of B-ball would have changed forever...Again, jmho...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.
    But Few wouldn't do that. His rotations are tight as a tick. GU got ran out of the gym in the very last game it played because we played 6 guys to FSU's 10.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    blah, who needs the Mountain West when we have all this!
    Mountain west BPI is same as WCC.... sooooo... what’s your point?
    20 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    But Few wouldn't do that. His rotations are tight as a tick. GU got ran out of the gym in the very last game it played because we played 6 guys to FSU's 10.
    Yeah, if Larsen and Jones had played more, it would have been a completely different game.

Or maybe it had something to do with losing Tillie in pregame warmups.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    Yeah, if Larsen and Jones had played more, it would have been a completely different game.

Or maybe it had something to do with losing Tillie in pregame warmups.
    I'm just pointing out that Few's rotations are tight, regardless of opponent.

I didn't say that was the reason we lost. Maybe it was, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. Maybe the drop off was so steep that there was no choice but to play a 6-man rotation. I don't know. But, it did seem to me like our guys were getting a little gassed at the end.

I'm just pointing out that Few's rotations are tight, regardless of opponent.

I didn't say that was the reason we lost. Maybe it was, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. Maybe the drop off was so steep that there was no choice but to play a 6-man rotation. I don't know. But, it did seem to me like our guys were getting a little gassed at the end.
    Fewie's rotation patterns haven't changed significantly for the better part of twenty years - I'm generalizing, but a previous post commented on the 10 in league - 8 in Vegas - 6/7 in the tourney approach that has seemingly become common. For all of our favorite players and hopes and dreams of what they will become (Bol Kong shoutout)...it's dubious to ignore the fact that generally we see drop-off in talent once we get past our 6th man.

Suffice to say, we put Rui on Hank and Snacks(?) on Bo? Would be a helluva matchup!

Back to the thread. In my view the more ugly and unfair the WCC schedule the better. Tough senior night away games will help toughen us up for the dance. Only reservation is if the schedule is unfair to the degree that it an open invitation to injuries. Otherwise let ‘er rip. It’ll do us good.
    Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 08-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.

My remarks were based on this year's team, where we could run two platoons:

PG - Josh & Geno
    SG - Zach & Corey
    SF - Rui & Jeremy
    PF - Killian & Filip
    C - Clarke & Jacob

I'm not forgetting about Ayayi and Foster, just wrote this off the top of my head. LMU had two great players in Bo and Hank, with a strong supporting cast. Zags are starting five NBA draft picks, one for sure lottery pick in Rui, another potential in Killian. I'm looking forward to a friendly rivalry between Rui & Killian for the alpha dog slot. If Killian steps it up, holey moley will this team be unstoppable...though I'm not predicting a perfect season. They'll have pressure enough with opening the season in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Back to the thread. In my view the more guly and unfair the WCC schedule the better. Tough senior night away games will help toughen us up for the dance. Only reservation is if the schedule is unfair to the degree that it an open invitation to injuries. Otherwise let ‘er rip. It’ll do us good.
    You bet....I don't believe the league uses the schedule to punish Gonzaga for being good...I think it is impossible to create a schedule that makes everyone happy …..and addresses all their competing concerns …...nor do I think you can show a correlation between Gonzaga's league record and the students attendance or the Senior Nights.... Gonzaga will be a heavy favorite in every game and should win them all...

If Calipari..... with his talent....couldn't make a platoon system work what makes you think Gonzaga could ?....situational lineups/matchups will work best.... ..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If Calipari..... with his talent....couldn't make a platoon system work what makes you think Gonzaga could ?....situational lineups/matchups will work best.... ..
    Don't disagree with you bart. LMU was a unique team, I think Few would have figured out something. Losing Tillie against FSU was a gut punch.

Calipari by the end of February reduced his "platoon" system is around 7-8 players max. Just like every coach does during the postseason. The platoon system worked in that it saved the energy of his best players for later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    well, we already know we aren't going undefeated.

*tainted*