Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: WCC Schedule Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,048

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Uggg... BYU on Senior night!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Uggg... BYU on Senior night!
    Not only that, but then we have to go TO Moraga for _their_ senior night. Jeez.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    12,440

    Default

    So looks like Zags have Sat. night open on 1-26-19. Interested to see if anything pops up there.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

  5. #5

    Default

    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagal View Post
    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.
    Was the reveal of the WCC slate supposed to help the overall schedule...?
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagal View Post
    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.
    No it's one of the better conference schedules we've had. USF, BYU, SMC all will be competing hard and with way better teams and coaches. We play fewer conference games which frees up the more OOC team which is a more valuable and challenging part of the schedule.
    Sure there are some weakness in the schedule but I think it's a very interesting schedule and tougher than most if you factor in the OOC. When is the last time we had 3-4 conference foes that could beat us without a fluke? This is one of those years IMHO.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    blah, who needs the Mountain West when we have all this!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagal View Post
    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.
    me too

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    You knew that the WCC, always trying to pull the middle up by bringing GU down, couldn't resist the BYU senior night, and putting us in Moraga on Sr. night. Two of the most difficult games scheduled at most difficult time - not buying it's coincidence.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagal View Post
    Still a very weak schedule. I'll be very surprised if we lose 2 games in conference.
    I can see us laying one egg during conference, but certainly not two.

    The WCC hasn't seen a team like ours since 2016 (), though I would add in the USF teams of Russell & Jones, and Bill Cartwright. This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.

    I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say we could have four first rounders in next year's draft: Rui, Killian, Clarke, and Norvell, if they all decided to take the leap. Depending on the year Josh has, he could be fifth...but he's more likely to be a second rounder due to his age.

    And to think that Joel & Filip made the all tournament team at FIBA...wow!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I can see us laying one egg during conference, but certainly not two.

    The WCC hasn't seen a team like ours since 2016 (), though I would add in the USF teams of Russell & Jones, and Bill Cartwright. This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.

    I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say we could have four first rounders in next year's draft: Rui, Killian, Clarke, and Norvell, if they all decided to take the leap. Depending on the year Josh has, he could be fifth...but he's more likely to be a second rounder due to his age.

    And to think that Joel & Filip made the all tournament team at FIBA...wow!
    I can agree with your thoughts on those four as it is truly conceivable by but Josh would have to LEAD this team to the NC for him to be considered...

    Not trying to argumentative but those LMU teams could all shoot and run all day long. Just my opinion but I think if Gathers didn’t have those heart issues, that 90 team would have given UNLV A tremendous battle in the SS. There were lots of teams that had better talent one of which was UM’s team and they got smoked and Alabama tried to slow them down and didn’t lose by as many as UM and that was without Gathers. IMO, IF LMU did beat UNLV with a healthy Hank, I beli be they would have won the tourney...and IF that had happened the game of B-ball would have changed forever...Again, jmho...

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

    This Zags team would have torched the great LMU teams of the 90s. Their strength was that you could not keep up with them, try as you might. Few could use two platoons on them, negating their advantage in speed and pace. Zach Norvell would probably score 50 against them...lol.
    But Few wouldn't do that. His rotations are tight as a tick. GU got ran out of the gym in the very last game it played because we played 6 guys to FSU's 10.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    blah, who needs the Mountain West when we have all this!
    Mountain west BPI is same as WCC.... sooooo... what’s your point?
    20 Straight Big Dances

    10 Straight Round of 32s

    9 Sweet Sixteens

    3 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    But Few wouldn't do that. His rotations are tight as a tick. GU got ran out of the gym in the very last game it played because we played 6 guys to FSU's 10.
    Yeah, if Larsen and Jones had played more, it would have been a completely different game.

    Or maybe it had something to do with losing Tillie in pregame warmups.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    Yeah, if Larsen and Jones had played more, it would have been a completely different game.

    Or maybe it had something to do with losing Tillie in pregame warmups.
    I'm just pointing out that Few's rotations are tight, regardless of opponent.

    I didn't say that was the reason we lost. Maybe it was, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. Maybe the drop off was so steep that there was no choice but to play a 6-man rotation. I don't know. But, it did seem to me like our guys were getting a little gassed at the end.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'm just pointing out that Few's rotations are tight, regardless of opponent.

    I didn't say that was the reason we lost. Maybe it was, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. Maybe the drop off was so steep that there was no choice but to play a 6-man rotation. I don't know. But, it did seem to me like our guys were getting a little gassed at the end.
    Fewie's rotation patterns haven't changed significantly for the better part of twenty years - I'm generalizing, but a previous post commented on the 10 in league - 8 in Vegas - 6/7 in the tourney approach that has seemingly become common. For all of our favorite players and hopes and dreams of what they will become (Bol Kong shoutout)...it's dubious to ignore the fact that generally we see drop-off in talent once we get past our 6th man.

    Suffice to say, we put Rui on Hank and Snacks(?) on Bo? Would be a helluva matchup!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Back to the thread. In my view the more ugly and unfair the WCC schedule the better. Tough senior night away games will help toughen us up for the dance. Only reservation is if the schedule is unfair to the degree that it an open invitation to injuries. Otherwise let ‘er rip. It’ll do us good.
    Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 08-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    But Few wouldn't do that. His rotations are tight as a tick. GU got ran out of the gym in the very last game it played because we played 6 guys to FSU's 10.
    My remarks were based on this year's team, where we could run two platoons:

    PG - Josh & Geno
    SG - Zach & Corey
    SF - Rui & Jeremy
    PF - Killian & Filip
    C - Clarke & Jacob

    I'm not forgetting about Ayayi and Foster, just wrote this off the top of my head. LMU had two great players in Bo and Hank, with a strong supporting cast. Zags are starting five NBA draft picks, one for sure lottery pick in Rui, another potential in Killian. I'm looking forward to a friendly rivalry between Rui & Killian for the alpha dog slot. If Killian steps it up, holey moley will this team be unstoppable...though I'm not predicting a perfect season. They'll have pressure enough with opening the season in the top 5.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Back to the thread. In my view the more guly and unfair the WCC schedule the better. Tough senior night away games will help toughen us up for the dance. Only reservation is if the schedule is unfair to the degree that it an open invitation to injuries. Otherwise let ‘er rip. It’ll do us good.
    You bet....I don't believe the league uses the schedule to punish Gonzaga for being good...I think it is impossible to create a schedule that makes everyone happy …..and addresses all their competing concerns …...nor do I think you can show a correlation between Gonzaga's league record and the students attendance or the Senior Nights.... Gonzaga will be a heavy favorite in every game and should win them all...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,857

    Default

    If Calipari..... with his talent....couldn't make a platoon system work what makes you think Gonzaga could ?....situational lineups/matchups will work best.... ..

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If Calipari..... with his talent....couldn't make a platoon system work what makes you think Gonzaga could ?....situational lineups/matchups will work best.... ..
    Don't disagree with you bart. LMU was a unique team, I think Few would have figured out something. Losing Tillie against FSU was a gut punch.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,140

    Default

    Calipari by the end of February reduced his "platoon" system is around 7-8 players max. Just like every coach does during the postseason. The platoon system worked in that it saved the energy of his best players for later in the season.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Uggg... BYU on Senior night!
    well, we already know we aren't going undefeated.

    *tainted*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •