Thread: Two more ooc games: Idaho State + UT-A

Default Two more ooc games: Idaho State + UT-A

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Gonzaga adds Idaho State (season opener) and Texas-Arlington (Dec. 18) to 2019 schedule. One opening remains, a home game that serves as Maui precursor.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Welp, that's pretty underwhelming.

UT-Arlington has been reasonably strong the past few seasons (including wins over SMC & BYU) but they just lost pretty well all their key players as well as their coach. It really looks like they'll be in a big rebuilding mode with a super young team. Bartorvik has them pegged to be a 300+ RPI team.

Idaho St. is another 300+ dreg in all likeleehood.

So I guess Texas A&M was the 'marquee matchup' that was going to be added?

Not every game needs to be a 5 star game though. You need some games that allow you to just play and work on stuff. Certainly these aren't marquee matchups but I doubt they are sub 300 level teams that will destroy our RPI. Particularly with the other games on our schedule.

I think the biggest challenge this season is getting the most athletically gifted team GU has ever had to become a strong TEAM. I don’t mind that not every game is super hard. These young men need to learn how to play together. Lots of new faces. Lots of roles to learn.

They heard the few members on the board ask for a local team and brought in Idaho State.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    They heard the few members on the board ask for a local team and brought in Idaho State.

Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

Great, if you are going to play cup cakes ….play the local ones... much rather see a game with a 300 plus team from the Northwest that some team from Texas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    UT Arlington is a local team for those of us living in North Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Great, if you are going to play cup cakes ….play the local ones... much rather see a game with a 300 plus team from the Northwest that some team from Texas.....
    I would not overlook the Mavericks, considering the game is right after finals, and the students will be on Christmas break.

Considering how badly the last coach was treated by the school, I'd really like the Zags to beat them by a minimum of 40.

FWIW, UTA is a commuter school, with nearly 42000 students.

I don't think any here thinks they all need to be good matchups, but avoiding really bad RPI matchups is key for the stupid RPI stat that the NCAA likes to use. You could play a team in the 200-250 range instead of the 300+ range.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I haven't seen any home games scheduled during the student holiday break (perhaps I missed something) that would make me wan't to pay the money to join the Kennel Club and be eligible to buy tickets.

What type of team can we expect the Zags to fill their last opening with? Any chance it is a P5 conference team or quality mid major or are we looking probably more low major game with that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    What type of team can we expect the Zags to fill their last opening with? Any chance it is a P5 conference team or quality mid major or are we looking probably more low major game with that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The last spot is the mainland game for the Maui Invitational, so most likely its going to be a low-major.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I don't think any here thinks they all need to be good matchups, but avoiding really bad RPI matchups is key for the stupid RPI stat that the NCAA likes to use. You could play a team in the 200-250 range instead of the 300+ range.
    Both teams were 250+ last year although Idaho State was right at that level...maybe a couple spots back. I don't think either one will be 300+ this year although UT-Arlington is clearly in a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Both teams were 250+ last year although Idaho State was right at that level...maybe a couple spots back. I don't think either one will be 300+ this year although UT-Arlington is clearly in a rebuild.
    Unfortunate.

Of course the schedule needs some games that are "breathers" where you play 10-11 guys, work on things. Of course.

But, always hope those are 150 or so, though I suppose risk increases, shouldn't be that risky.

Still, given these games are inevitable, I am really heartened to see the inclusion of a NW team. I'd prefer Idaho, even closer, or Eastern for that matter, but much prefer Idaho State over Incarnate Word. Plus, these are the schools that played us when we were bad, seems just "the right thing" to continue.

I love U of Montana games, even though no ties to it or area, just seems wonderful, 3 hours down the street, great school, fanbase, really like having them on schedule.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

To my recollection the MAUI organizers tend to assign their teams bad opponents. In fact, it's possible, I suppose, that GU could be assigned Chaminade, a D-2 school that at least wouldn't damage GU's RPI (although the RPI is supposed to mean less this season right?). The last thing MAUI wants to do is send a quality mid major in and having one of their teams arrive in MAUI with a loss on their record. They want nothing but unbeaten teams.

I never felt for a second that Gonzaga was going to use these extra games on big time opponents at home. They want cheap revenue, and that best comes through bringing in a Big Sky squad into an arena that is guaranteed to sell out no matter what. But as someone else said, the hope is that some of these teams like Texas-Arlington will be 197 RPI teams instead of 323 RPI teams. Also, the big conferences are playing more league games, and league in the power leagues is starting sooner and sooner. Scheduling is getting tougher and tougher.

What GU needs to hope for is that teams like Denver & Texas-Arlington end up being much better than Pepperdine and Portland.....the WCC teams they'll only be playing once during league season.