Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: FIBA EURO U18; WATCH PETRUSEV AND AYAYI HERE

Joel Ayayı and Petrusev got all-tournament team. Amazing showing for our Zags. Anyone know if Tommy was there to scout talent?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    So the tournament is all over. Filip and Serbia won the whole thing, Joel and Le Bleu came in 3rd. For the whole tourney Filip averaged 21/9. Joel averaged 16 ppg and 4 rebounds. The French Flash shows a ton of promise but needs to bring it every game. Filip doesn't struggle with that, he's very fundamentally sound, great footwork and advanced post moves, doesn't shoot the 3 at all, or at least didn't in this tournament. He just needs to add muscle, but that will come in due time. All in all, we got two very good players that should help contribute to this team, if not this year, for sure next season.
    https://youtu.be/zj3YWg-6-Ec

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    Thanks for posting that. It's fascinating how Montverde used him completely differently than the Serbian national team did.

From Twitter:
    Eurohopes
    ‏ @Eurohopes

FIBA U18 Division A All-Tournament Team: Marko Pecarski (Serbia - MVP), Arturs Zagars (Latvia), Filip Petrusev (Serbia), Joel Ayayi (France) & Nikita Mikhailovskii (Russia) #FIBAU18Europe
    12:50 PM - 5 Aug 2018

Today’s games are available on FIBA’s YouTube channel:

- Russia v France - 3rd Place - FIBA U18 European Championship 2018

https://youtu.be/YbwaUX2hhwM

Ayayi saved the day in the second half.

-Latvia v Serbia - Final - FIBA U18 European Championship 2018

https://youtu.be/ic93tef4HqQ
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Looks like we've got some all stars on board. How Tommy continues to score high end kids from Europe is simply amazing. Seems like the concerns about Joel are/should fade away. Solid year coming up for the Zags....more so with these Euro kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Joel Ayayı and Petrusev got all-tournament team. Amazing showing for our Zags. Anyone know if Tommy was there to scout talent?

Flashing back to that all-tourney photo of Pangos & Karnowski.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Ha! Called it

Things look much different from the pre-tournament days when we were wondering if Joel would make the cut.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Flashing back to that all-tourney photo of Pangos & Karnowski.
    Would love to see that photo again... :-)

FIBA U17 allstars.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Would love to see that photo again... :-)
    This is the best I can do....find it frustrating loading photos on this message board!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    FIBA U17 allstars.jpg

This is the best I can do....find it frustrating loading photos on this message board!
    Thanks so very much for taking the time to find and post!

Thanks so very much for taking the time to find and post!
    +1
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

FIBA U17 allstars.jpg

Shem sure looks young there.
    It's not funny.

FIBA U17 allstars.jpg

Sorry for the delay ... didn't realize I could once again access photobucket without having to pay them $399

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Thanks for posting that. It's fascinating how Montverde used him completely differently than the Serbian national team did.
    If you combine that highlight video, with a highlight video from the FIBA tourny, He sure reminds me of post clinic KO.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Sorry for the delay ... didn't realize I could once again access photobucket without having to pay them $399

I broke down and paid the annual $20 fee to avoid all the advertising.

Congrats to Joel and Filip!!!

Boy, it's sure all adding up to one exciting season of Zag basketball - what with so much talent. Maybe the Kennel will have its noisiest season ever - even when the students are gone for break.

Just some additional spotlight on standout players during the tourney.

An incoming freshman at Gonzaga, Petrusev used this event as a breakout platform. A highly touted prospect in Serbia before moving to the states prior to his junior season, Petrusev struggled with injuries and took some time adapting to the American game.
    https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...uts-120559700/

Getting around to posting thoughts on Petrusev & Ayayi. Watched nearly 4 full games of each.

Petrusev is ready to play for GU. Very happy with how he nearly always took a good shot in the flow of the offense, passed it well and made the right pass, shows outside touch, but also can mix it up a bit underneath. Larsen will have to have taken a jump (which we hope he has after a whole offseason) to fend him off as the 4th Big. The pleasant surprises were his shot blocking ability and body. By Nov. 1 he will be capable of battling with Top 25 bigs and not being a liability, and can bother shots with his good timing.
    The only item that is pending is finishing vs length. I dont know if he faced a big his size more than 20% of the time. The Serbian offense was so good at finding Pecarski or Petrusev on duck-ins or over the top lobs with a seal he didnt put up that many contested shots.

I thought he would look like more of a project, but he doesnt, and I have seen the coaching staff take someone with his skill set and really make them good. He's got components of Sabonis, Collins, but those guys are a notch better at the same stage of 18, but the fact he is only 18 since April 2018 is very exciting too, there are going to be many 2019 prospects that are his age that are going to be considered better but I always feel not enough recruiting services take exact age into equation. Look at all the 19 year olds that just graduated Class of 2018 in college now.

I would take Paunovic right now off Serbia with that last scholarship. He can be the backup PG, is big enough to come in for defense, showed me some toughness, he's like a more filled out Raivio at the same age. Pecarski would've been an offensive beast in college, just a nose for the ball and scoring. Offensively a slightly smaller Wiltjer? But we didnt see him on the perimeter as much, and like Petrusev took advantage of a lot of size mismatches. Defensively I think he'd get attacked in college and ultimately that is what is going to keep him out of the NBA unless he radically improves, but he will have a long and lucrative European career.

Absolutely loved the Serbian offense! It was as if they specifically prepared Petrusev for Gonzaga! 2 Bigs complementing each other, passing the ball, duck-ins, and the guards looking for which big has the advantage, and then can step out and shoot.

On one hand, Joel Ayayi is oozing with potential. He is nowhere near where he will be, he is still literally growing and getting coordinated with his body. The length of his arms and size of his feet tell me he may add another inch or two. Was very impressed how a guy that has very little handle or left hand has such a good touch on floaters, and his 3 pt shooting is decent. I can see him this year playing the top of a 122 press with all of gonzaga's depth to use in the regular season.

Having said that, I think for 2018-19 he will be in a learning season. I think he is going to play but be on the edge of the rotation in the regular season, BUT his ceiling is still so high the player he is on March 15th may be very different than Nov. 1st. Against the bottom 12 of so teams on the schedule he will be impactful due to his size and athleticism as a disruptive defender and 1-2 dribble slashing vs smaller bigs. The Middle 12 teams he will be OK as a defensive player and get transition baskets and they will likely play off of him so he will need to cut well to slash and go with floaters. Against the top 12 teams on the schedule I think its spot minutes. Defend a super big athletic wing, run the floor. Against those teams I think he struggles because he will face athletic, long guards like him that more than 1 dribble against he wont be able to do much more, and will have to just play within himself and not overdribble or take it into traffic like we saw while playing with France.

When he gets fully coordinated with his body and lives in the gym - it's hard to avoid thinking about the Greak Freak's type of jump he made in his career, where finally for him around the age of 23 his body and basketball skills came together. He may be a guy that he finally blossoms but very late in his GU career where we don't even get super offensive productivity, like his RJR year.

Agree with an earlier poster on here about France's offense, with all of that talent they were extremely unorganized and I think did not play to their potential.

Absolutely LOVED Arthurs Zagars the PG of Latvia! WOW I wish he considered college. The perfect European that the blue blood teams would think isnt big or strong or athletic enough, that would go to GU and become Goran Dragic. So crafty, was a pleasure to watch!

Off the list on 247sports of guys still on the college bubble, only saw Zhakarov of Russia and he was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    Getting around to posting thoughts on Petrusev & Ayayi. Watched nearly 4 full games of each.

Petrusev is ready to play for GU. Very happy with how he nearly always took a good shot in the flow of the offense, passed it well and made the right pass, shows outside touch, but also can mix it up a bit underneath. Larsen will have to have taken a jump (which we hope he has after a whole offseason) to fend him off as the 4th Big. The pleasant surprises were his shot blocking ability and body. By Nov. 1 he will be capable of battling with Top 25 bigs and not being a liability, and can bother shots with his good timing.
    The only item that is pending is finishing vs length. I dont know if he faced a big his size more than 20% of the time. The Serbian offense was so good at finding Pecarski or Petrusev on duck-ins or over the top lobs with a seal he didnt put up that many contested shots.

I thought he would look like more of a project, but he doesnt, and I have seen the coaching staff take someone with his skill set and really make them good. He's got components of Sabonis, Collins, but those guys are a notch better at the same stage of 18, but the fact he is only 18 since April 2018 is very exciting too, there are going to be many 2019 prospects that are his age that are going to be considered better but I always feel not enough recruiting services take exact age into equation. Look at all the 19 year olds that just graduated Class of 2018 in college now.

I would take Paunovic right now off Serbia with that last scholarship. He can be the backup PG, is big enough to come in for defense, showed me some toughness, he's like a more filled out Raivio at the same age. Pecarski would've been an offensive beast in college, just a nose for the ball and scoring. Offensively a slightly smaller Wiltjer? But we didnt see him on the perimeter as much, and like Petrusev took advantage of a lot of size mismatches. Defensively I think he'd get attacked in college and ultimately that is what is going to keep him out of the NBA unless he radically improves, but he will have a long and lucrative European career.

Absolutely loved the Serbian offense! It was as if they specifically prepared Petrusev for Gonzaga! 2 Bigs complementing each other, passing the ball, duck-ins, and the guards looking for which big has the advantage, and then can step out and shoot.

On one hand, Joel Ayayi is oozing with potential. He is nowhere near where he will be, he is still literally growing and getting coordinated with his body. The length of his arms and size of his feet tell me he may add another inch or two. Was very impressed how a guy that has very little handle or left hand has such a good touch on floaters, and his 3 pt shooting is decent. I can see him this year playing the top of a 122 press with all of gonzaga's depth to use in the regular season.

Having said that, I think for 2018-19 he will be in a learning season. I think he is going to play but be on the edge of the rotation in the regular season, BUT his ceiling is still so high the player he is on March 15th may be very different than Nov. 1st. Against the bottom 12 of so teams on the schedule he will be impactful due to his size and athleticism as a disruptive defender and 1-2 dribble slashing vs smaller bigs. The Middle 12 teams he will be OK as a defensive player and get transition baskets and they will likely play off of him so he will need to cut well to slash and go with floaters. Against the top 12 teams on the schedule I think its spot minutes. Defend a super big athletic wing, run the floor. Against those teams I think he struggles because he will face athletic, long guards like him that more than 1 dribble against he wont be able to do much more, and will have to just play within himself and not overdribble or take it into traffic like we saw while playing with France.

When he gets fully coordinated with his body and lives in the gym - it's hard to avoid thinking about the Greak Freak's type of jump he made in his career, where finally for him around the age of 23 his body and basketball skills came together. He may be a guy that he finally blossoms but very late in his GU career where we don't even get super offensive productivity, like his RJR year.

Agree with an earlier poster on here about France's offense, with all of that talent they were extremely unorganized and I think did not play to their potential.

Absolutely LOVED Arthurs Zagars the PG of Latvia! WOW I wish he considered college. The perfect European that the blue blood teams would think isnt big or strong or athletic enough, that would go to GU and become Goran Dragic. So crafty, was a pleasure to watch!

Off the list on 247sports of guys still on the college bubble, only saw Zhakarov of Russia and he was OK.
    This is an excellent observational post! Spot on “scouting” of both players!

This is an excellent observational post! Spot on “scouting” of both players!
    Agreed.

This has been my favorite thread of the summer. Thanks for contributing WRHU....agree w you that this year for Ayayi will be a dip your toes in and get good run vs our lesser opponents w spot minutes only against the elite teams type of season. He need only consider and speak w Rui to embrace this roll and trust his time will come.

Agree w you 100% on Petrusev and would only add, as someone has mentioned elsewhere in this long thread, he just “gets it.” He plays like a mature, confident veteran who doesn’t have to try and prove himself.... plays within the offense and seemed to always make the right decision. Calm with the ball.

I’m rooting hard for Larsen to be healthy and confident heading into the season. Post minutes may be hard to find with two star bigs (Clarke, Tillie), a superstar in the making (Rui) who will play the 4 when coaches want a three guard lineup. Nonetheless both Petrusev and Larsen will hopefully carve out meaningful roles somehow. Assuming everyone is and stays healthy, only weakness I see w this roster is a lack of interior bulk. Really hope Larsen earns a consistent 8-10 minutes every game so if/when Zags need him in the tourney vs a team with bruisers down low he will be mentally and physically ready.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post

Love this post! Great takes on both of them!