Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busting Brackets Preseason Predictions

Default Busting Brackets Preseason Predictions

(from a few days ago; credit to Sound Voltex on the Pilot Board)

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/07/...8-19-rankings/
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Just saw this article linked on the SMC board, and enjoyed sideshow06's response:

"My favorite seasons are the ones where all the pundits are absolutely sure that BYU is the second best team and then SMC casually says 'hold my beer' ".

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Just saw this article linked on the SMC board, and enjoyed sideshow06's response:

"My favorite seasons are the ones where all the pundits are absolutely sure that BYU is the second best team and then SMC casually says 'hold my beer' ".
    That's absolute gold.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    That's absolute gold.
    Especially since it is BYU that near always symbolically ends up holding the beer (looking at it forlornly) while SMC reasserts "regular order" in the Semi's.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Especially since it is BYU that near always symbolically ends up holding the beer (looking at it forlornly) while SMC reasserts "regular order" in the Semi's.
    Unfortunately for SMC, "regular order" places them in the FIRST FOUR OUT category on Selection Sunday.

I just hope the so-called changes to their non-league schedule put them as one of the first four teams in. While young, I am told the Gaels are going to be very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I just hope the so-called changes to their non-league schedule put them as one of the first four teams in. While young, I am told the Gaels are going to be very talented.
    Hmmm, looking at their schedule it does appear they have marginally improved it, with a particular focus on scheduling lots of teams that project to be in the 50-100 range KP/BPI/etc. It seems like their only chance at a truly marquee win, in non-conference, will be if they win the MGM Resorts Main Event Pre-season tournament. If they can beat Utah State, they would then match up with the winner of Arizona State/Mississippi State, both of whom are top 50 teams on paper.

Aside from that they have home games versus Harvard and Cal (the latter of whom looks to be awful this year) and a couple tough road games at Western Kentucky and New Mexico State (both 50 to 75ish teams per projections), and also neutral court games versus New Mexico and LSU, also fringe top 50 teams.

So while their schedule this year isn't strong enough to really alter the national narrative of them playing only cupcakes, it is an improvement. Trouble is, they need to win those games now. I rattled off 8 games there, and I suspect SMC will need to go 6-2 in those games for their schedule to not be a huge detriment come March. One of the things about the years that the Gaels have been snubbed by the committee is, in addition to their weak non-conference schedules, they also failed to win the few decent non-conference matchups they had. Last year for instance they lost to WSU (a truly shameful loss) but also a top 100 Georgia team that they were decidedly better than by years end.

With so much of their March fortune obviously riding on November games, its going to be really interesting to see if Randy can get his young squad competitive out of the gates. If he doesn't it will be another year of 'beat Gonzaga in Vegas or NIT' for St. Mary's.

Looks like this site has added some more articles, including their picks for Top 10 Srs., Jrs. & Sophs in the WCC:

https://bustingbrackets.com/mid-major-conferences/wcc/
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Looks like this site has added some more articles, including their picks for Top 10 Srs., Jrs. & Sophs in the WCC:

https://bustingbrackets.com/mid-major-conferences/wcc/
    Not sure I agree with Tillie #1 and Rui #2. But it’s pretty powerful to see the Zags take 1-3 with Clarke as the third!

Agree with 1-3, but snacks may steal the show.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    He's listed as #1 in the soph class article. The others are jrs.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Good point.

Also, not convinced Tillie should be ahead of Rui. I suspect they are focused primarily on last memory at WCC tourney, and not the games against SMC where Rui simply dominated.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I've been following SMC's down under trip on Godisagael. Last night they lost to the reigning Aussie NBL champs 81-80 (on their home floor in front of 3,000) on a 3 pointer in the last seconds.

Jordan Ford w/ 34 last nite. Malik Fitts w/ 34 pts and 25 rebs total in their last 2 games.

I'm guessing SMC has reloaded pretty well.

I've been following SMC's down under trip on Godisagael. Last night they lost to the reigning Aussie NBL champs 81-80 (on their home floor in front of 3,000) on a 3 pointer in the last seconds.

Jordan Ford w/ 34 last nite. Malik Fitts w/ 34 pts and 25 rebs total in their last 2 games.

Absolutely, and then some.

A couple high lvl transfers, and really stepped up athletically.

The team is on another level in terms of speed and athleticism at all positions this year.

I've always thought Jordan Ford was a special talent. He is like their Tony Parker. Scorer, lightning quick, & can shoot.

He tore up the NIT last March.

I'm intrigued by their new frontline too, they added some legit size and length.

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, BYU & SMC are going to be much better than most give them credit for.

I feel both could be Top 25 by seasons end.

As mentioned in the WCC forum I'm taking in the game tomorrow between the Sydney Kings and the Gaels.

It's 90 minutes away but it's the closest I'm going to get to an NCAA team for a couple of years and a chance to at least watch a team that will play the Zags.

The Sydney Kings have Andrew Bogut, Dane Pineau and Daniel Kickert along with Brian Bowen (who has some 2019 mock NBA draft interest).

Other players include David Wear, Deng Deng and Jerome Randal so it will an interesting contest.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    As mentioned in the WCC forum I'm taking in the game tomorrow between the Sydney Kings and the Gaels.

It's 90 minutes away but it's the closest I'm going to get to an NCAA team for a couple of years and a chance to at least watch a team that will play the Zags.

The Sydney Kings have Andrew Bogut, Dane Pineau and Daniel Kickert along with Brian Bowen (who has some 2019 mock NBA draft interest).

Other players include David Wear, Deng Deng and Jerome Randal so it will an interesting contest.

It sounds exciting...Do you know if this will be on any TV?

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Absolutely, and then some.

A couple high lvl transfers, and really stepped up athletically.

The team is on another level in terms of speed and athleticism at all positions this year.

I've always thought Jordan Ford was a special talent. He is like their Tony Parker. Scorer, lightning quick, & can shoot.

He tore up the NIT last March.

I'm intrigued by their new frontline too, they added some legit size and length.

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, BYU & SMC are going to be much better than most give them credit for.

I feel both could be Top 25 by seasons end.
    Wow, Top 25...am excited for the competition...so you’re saying there is a chance we might get two or three into the Dance? I would love to see both those schools excell especially this season...would really strengthen our numbers having to play them three times each...

Would that also negate a lot of the concern about them being so "young" a team in November? Having spent the summer together playing - from the sounds of it - excellent competition, they're not going to be all "new" to everything. They'll have had time to gell, and it sounds like at least some of the competition is better than the average RPI 100 college team.
    Mark Twain.

I was impressed by Ford last year. He has plus quickness and finished well. Bennett does a good job finding guys. I used to hate on SMC but I respect them and root for them to do well preseason then again after the dust settles in conference. Their fans deserve another tournament appearance, in my opinion.

BYU is much more fun to dislike right now

Just a quick question. How is it that St. Mary's is allowed to play these games as a team while others are not allowed? Seems like it would give them a significant edge going into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    Just a quick question. How is it that St. Mary's is allowed to play these games as a team while others are not allowed? Seems like it would give them a significant edge going into the season.
    Who is not? All teams get to play summer exhibitions; Duke is currently in Canada playing Canadian Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    Gotta bring up that strength of schedule somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I watched most of one of the SMC games- Dondenang or something like that- that someone linked on the SMC board. Look on godisagael.com, gaels down under thread.

Wow, Top 25...am excited for the competition...so you’re saying there is a chance we might get two or three into the Dance? I would love to see both those schools excell especially this season...would really strengthen our numbers having to play them three times each...
    After watching one of their games, imo top 25 might be a stretch due to them lacking a major post threat like they've had w/ Samhan, Waldow, Landale. Perry and Mendes are both huge, but relatively slow and w/ little post scoring ability.

It will be interesting to see how they change their offense this year, as they'll be much more of a perimeter oriented, drive to the hoop and get their 3's more on kickouts than off post doubles.

Ford looks like a very strong AA candidate, and this team has athletes in the rotation at the 2,3,,4 that they lacked last year in Fitts, Thomas, Fotu, as Raise mentioned. Zorics (sp?) looks very good as well. Extremely poised for a young guard, capable of playing backup point when Ford needs a break, or playing w/ him. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go small a lot w/ Tass at center, and playing 5 out at times, though that would be a huge change from what Randy usually does. But seems to fit the talent imo. Perry might shoot the 3 better than he does anything else offensively. Those two really big guys might be nothing more than situational defensive depth though.

I think they have a pretty high ceiling but the question is how quickly they'll come together and adapt to a somewhat different style. Ford is the key; if he's a superstar they're the top 25 team Raise alluded to imo. Regardless, they'll be very fun to watch.

ETA- forgot about Hunter at center, who is out w/ injury. Probable starter and better than the other 2.

Just saw a link to Sydney Kings website which says there will be a live stream of the game, but no link yet- says they'll post it later.

Kings feature Andrew Bogut, Kickert, Jerome Randle, one of the UCLA Wear twins. The matchup btw Ford and Randle should be fun.