• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
    As mentioned in the WCC forum I'm taking in the game tomorrow between the Sydney Kings and the Gaels.

It's 90 minutes away but it's the closest I'm going to get to an NCAA team for a couple of years and a chance to at least watch a team that will play the Zags.

The Sydney Kings have Andrew Bogut, Dane Pineau and Daniel Kickert along with Brian Bowen (who has some 2019 mock NBA draft interest).

Other players include David Wear, Deng Deng and Jerome Randal so it will an interesting contest.

It sounds exciting...Do you know if this will be on any TV?

Comment

• Bogozags
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
      Absolutely, and then some.

A couple high lvl transfers, and really stepped up athletically.

The team is on another level in terms of speed and athleticism at all positions this year.

I've always thought Jordan Ford was a special talent. He is like their Tony Parker. Scorer, lightning quick, & can shoot.

He tore up the NIT last March.

I'm intrigued by their new frontline too, they added some legit size and length.

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, BYU & SMC are going to be much better than most give them credit for.

I feel both could be Top 25 by seasons end.
      Wow, Top 25...am excited for the competition...so you’re saying there is a chance we might get two or three into the Dance? I would love to see both those schools excell especially this season...would really strengthen our numbers having to play them three times each...

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
        I've been following SMC's down under trip on Godisagael. Last night they lost to the reigning Aussie NBL champs 81-80 (on their home floor in front of 3,000) on a 3 pointer in the last seconds.

Jordan Ford w/ 34 last nite. Malik Fitts w/ 34 pts and 25 rebs total in their last 2 games.

I'm guessing SMC has reloaded pretty well.
        Would that also negate a lot of the concern about them being so "young" a team in November? Having spent the summer together playing - from the sounds of it - excellent competition, they're not going to be all "new" to everything. They'll have had time to gell, and it sounds like at least some of the competition is better than the average RPI 100 college team.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

I was impressed by Ford last year. He has plus quickness and finished well. Bennett does a good job finding guys. I used to hate on SMC but I respect them and root for them to do well preseason then again after the dust settles in conference. Their fans deserve another tournament appearance, in my opinion.

BYU is much more fun to dislike right now

Comment

• gon2mt
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2012

Just a quick question. How is it that St. Mary's is allowed to play these games as a team while others are not allowed? Seems like it would give them a significant edge going into the season.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gon2mt View Post
              Just a quick question. How is it that St. Mary's is allowed to play these games as a team while others are not allowed? Seems like it would give them a significant edge going into the season.
              Who is not? All teams get to play summer exhibitions; Duke is currently in Canada playing Canadian Universities

Comment

• ZagaholicPodcast
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by gon2mt View Post
                Gotta bring up that strength of schedule somehow!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  I watched most of one of the SMC games- Dondenang or something like that- that someone linked on the SMC board. Look on godisagael.com, gaels down under thread.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Wow, Top 25...am excited for the competition...so you’re saying there is a chance we might get two or three into the Dance? I would love to see both those schools excell especially this season...would really strengthen our numbers having to play them three times each...
                    After watching one of their games, imo top 25 might be a stretch due to them lacking a major post threat like they've had w/ Samhan, Waldow, Landale. Perry and Mendes are both huge, but relatively slow and w/ little post scoring ability.

It will be interesting to see how they change their offense this year, as they'll be much more of a perimeter oriented, drive to the hoop and get their 3's more on kickouts than off post doubles.

Ford looks like a very strong AA candidate, and this team has athletes in the rotation at the 2,3,,4 that they lacked last year in Fitts, Thomas, Fotu, as Raise mentioned. Zorics (sp?) looks very good as well. Extremely poised for a young guard, capable of playing backup point when Ford needs a break, or playing w/ him. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go small a lot w/ Tass at center, and playing 5 out at times, though that would be a huge change from what Randy usually does. But seems to fit the talent imo. Perry might shoot the 3 better than he does anything else offensively. Those two really big guys might be nothing more than situational defensive depth though.

I think they have a pretty high ceiling but the question is how quickly they'll come together and adapt to a somewhat different style. Ford is the key; if he's a superstar they're the top 25 team Raise alluded to imo. Regardless, they'll be very fun to watch.

ETA- forgot about Hunter at center, who is out w/ injury. Probable starter and better than the other 2.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

Just saw a link to Sydney Kings website which says there will be a live stream of the game, but no link yet- says they'll post it later.

Kings feature Andrew Bogut, Kickert, Jerome Randle, one of the UCLA Wear twins. The matchup btw Ford and Randle should be fun.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        I was impressed by Ford last year. He has plus quickness and finished well. Bennett does a good job finding guys.

In this case I think Bennett just picked up Gonzaga's sloppy seconds. If I recall correctly, Gonzaga showed interest in Ford (maybe even offered) but then went another direction (Zach Norvell?)

Not that Bennett is a slouch on finding talent, I just don't think he beat GU to it on this one. In the end, Zags were smart to pass on Ford in return for the talent we landed.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
                          In this case I think Bennett just picked up Gonzaga's sloppy seconds. If I recall correctly, Gonzaga showed interest in Ford (maybe even offered) but then went another direction (Zach Norvell?)

Not that Bennett is a slouch on finding talent, I just don't think he beat GU to it on this one. In the end, Zags were smart to pass on Ford in return for the talent we landed.
                          "Sloppy seconds?" Really? Pretty disgusting thing to say about a fine player.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                            "Sloppy seconds?" Really? Pretty disgusting thing to say about a fine player.
                            It’s a colloquial phrase. Not meant to be taken so literally. Just meant that GU passed on him. Bennett picked him up because Few didn’t sign him. Wasn’t meant to be a personal attack on Ford.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
                              It’s a colloquial phrase. Not meant to be taken so literally. Just meant that GU passed on him. Bennett picked him up because Few didn’t sign him. Wasn’t meant to be a personal attack on Ford.
                              I'm not gonna quote the definition here, as mods would rightfully delete such a post. I'd suggest you google the meaning of what you said. Colloquial or not, it's highly offensive and insulting to the subject. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X