Thread: OT: Sam Cunliffe Leaving Kansas

Default OT: Sam Cunliffe Leaving Kansas

Feel free to move mods. It looks like we’re a little short on material thanks to the summer scrimmage news drought.

I saw a lot of comments on Twitter about former Gonzaga interest 6’6" guard Sam Cunliffe leaving Kansas. He was a starter at ASU his freshman year where he played quite well but apparently was dissatisfied with his minutes at Kansas.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statu...89662249119759
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Feel free to move mods. It looks like we’re a little short on material thanks to the summer scrimmage news drought.

I saw a lot of comments on Twitter about former Gonzaga interest 6’6" guard Sam Cunliffe leaving Kansas. He was a starter at ASU his freshman year where he played quite well but apparently was dissatisfied with his minutes at Kansas.

He also stated he will likely sit out another year (no Div 2). If my math is right, this could make him a 24 year-old college player if he plays his senior year after sitting out a year and makes it to the tournament.
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post

We'll take "What Happens When You Don't Choose Gonzaga" for $1000, Pat.

Can you play for. Third D 1 team without being a grad transfer?
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    He also stated he will likely sit out another year (no Div 2). If my math is right, this could make him a 24 year-old college player if he plays his senior year after sitting out a year and makes it to the tournament.
    So you're predicting BYU, foil?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    We'll take "What Happens When You Don't Choose Gonzaga" for $1000, Pat.
    I learned recently that our ball boys are apparently too short. At 6’6” he could really elevate the quality of the unit. If he wants to ply for GU that would alright, too. I remember his name coming up before. Is he any good?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    So you're predicting BYU, foil?
    I see what you did there.

On a serious note, you are probably looking at more of a NWG scenario where he will only play his junior year in the NCAA's and then go try to go pro. Potential NBA players ratings are impacted negatively the older they get. The clinik would have to look like a great option based on the recent track record but who knows if we are on his radar.
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

Once a knucklehead, always a knucklehead.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    yup. Taysheon Cherry v 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    I see what you did there.

On a serious note, you are probably looking at more of a NWG scenario where he will only play his junior year in the NCAA's and then go try to go pro. Potential NBA players ratings are impacted negatively the older they get. The clinik would have to look like a great option based on the recent track record but who knows if we are on his radar.
    1. If Kansas didn’t seem to be interested in giving him more pt, I doubt that NBA scouts would be interested in him unless he has a miraculous third year at another good basketball school.

2. NWG attended two schools not three and, as good as he is, did not make the NBA.

3. I hope he’s good at picking up languages.
    Parlez-vous français?

I'm thinking Romar will be on the line today.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    yup. Taysheon Cherry v 1.0
    Savage. But fair.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I learned recently that our ball boys are apparently too short. At 6’6” he could really elevate the quality of the unit. If he wants to ply for GU that would alright, too. I remember his name coming up before. Is he any good?
    Out of high school, imagine if you put Derek Raivio and a more athletic, better built Micah Downs into the same body. Had he come to Gonzaga, he might have actually become something. Sad.

Out of high school, imagine if you put Derek Raivio and a more athletic, better built Micah Downs into the same body. Had he come to Gonzaga, he might have actually become something. Sad.
    And 6’6”... Sad, indeed. That really could have been something. That’s a special pro prospect if he realizes his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

My wife has been saying that for years, Jazz!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Raivio. One of my all time favorite Zags.

I hope wherever he goes, he remains healthy and has a successful life, maybe he can look back on his choices and learn from them, other than that, I won't waste more time thinking about him any more then I spend on Cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Raivio. One of my all time favorite Zags.
    Me too.....perhaps most underrated ….

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Me too.....perhaps most underrated ….
    Definitely at least top 3 most underrated. He was so cool and calm under pressure. I still feel like the end of that UCLA game was such an aberration. No idea what happened. Ammo, Batista, and Raivio should have closed that out. Man.

Cunliffe had physical talent but was a low iq prima donna chucker when I saw him at Rainier Beach after transferrring from Blanchet.

He was trying to go to what he saw as the big time. Thought Hurley would just let him chuck w/ impunity. A malcontent who probably would have been vetoed by the Zag players if it had gotten that far, which it wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Cunliffe had physical talent but was a low iq prima donna chucker when I saw him at Rainier Beach after transferrring from Blanchet.

He was trying to go to what he saw as the big time. Thought Hurley would just let him chuck w/ impunity. A malcontent who probably would have been vetoed by the Zag players if it had gotten that far, which it wouldn't have.
    think scouting reports have a box for these types? made me chuckle
    Last edited by Zagceo; 07-24-2018 at 03:21 PM.

How did this thread turn into ranking most overrated Zags? All of the candidates listed were contributors during their time at GU. Sigh. I've for the most part avoided posting on the men's board for a while (which I'm sure some of my detractors are very happy about), but I had to thrown in a few cents worth on this one.

I guess I got this thread banished to the general bball thread, where threads go to die.

Anyway recent article in the Seattle Times indicates Cunliffe wants to return home to Seattle and finish his career w/ UW. Not sure if he has an offer or not.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0JcsPjJMRwrtsS

This is turning into quite the saga! After meeting w/ staff here, apparently UW is a no go for Cunliffe. Now he's going to talk to Romar at Pepperdine! Also visiting Xavier and Evansville.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UEws_92Na-nJZ2

Cunliffe with 17 in Evansville's win over Kentucky today.