Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update on Courtney Vandersloot

because everything is relative, think about Sue Bird and what team she has played for....lauren Jackson and now Bri Stewart....if Sloot had been able to have Della Donne and Sylvia Flowers(sp?) still on the team, think of the possibilities....Sloot has done well on a so so team for yrs....

I didn't mean to be critical of 7 assists in a game. 12.5/game over a 4 game stretch was an impressive statistical anomaly.

I think she cracked the top 10 on the assists list tonight. Closing minute, Sky up by 7 against Connecticut. She has 14 assists and 18 points on 8-12 shooting.

Sloot finished w/ 20 points 15 assists, not a bad night's work. Sky won by 11. They tied a league record w/ 35 assists. Apparently they intentionally fouled so they could get the ball back and try to break the record. Connecticut coach wasn't pleased and had his team intentionally foul to make sure they didn't get another assist. That must've been weird seeing two intentional fouls in the closing seconds of a game w/ a double digit margin.

Not a surprising result when the team shoots over 54% when compared to the 38% and 34% they shot for the last two games which they lost. The opposition scored in the 80's all three games, while the Sky scored 74 pts (38% shooting), 64 pts (34% shooting) and 97 pts on 54+% shooting. Amazing what happens when the team shoots well; the Sky win and Sloot's assists go up.

The Sky are still not mathematically out of the playoffs. They are down 3 games with 4 to play but they do hold the tiebreaker. Unfortunately, they do not play Dallas anymore this year, so they just have to hope that other teams will beat Dallas if the Sky take care of business.

After tonight's game CV has moved up to #10 on the all-time assists leader board passing Dawn Staley and Teresa Weatherspoon. Next up on the list is #9, Temeka Johnson who is currently 31 assists ahead of Sloot. CV has four (4) games left this year, with three (3) of the games on the road. Movement up the all-time assists board may have to wait until next year.

Courtney is chasing two (2) all-time records that she is very likely to break. The first record is average assists per game which currently stands at 8.1 assists per game held by Ticha Penicheiro. Sloot is currently averaging 8.6 assists per game. She would really have to have some bad games to fail to break this record. The second record is the total number of assists in a single season which currently stands at 236 also held by Ticha Penicheiro. After tonight's game, Courtney has 224 assists with four games to play. Once again, Sloot should break this record unless she has an injury.

I was looking as some additional statistics tonight which are kind of interesting. Only CV and Sue Bird (currently 211 assists) currently have over 200 assists for the season. The next closest assist leaders are #3 Skylar Diggins-Smith (163) and #4 Chelsea Gray (159). Instead of games, I looked at the total number of minutes played. While CV has played 828 minutes, Bird has only played 767 minutes but Diggins-Smith (926 minutes) and Gray (979 minutes) have played considerably more.

Next game is Sunday against this same Connecticut team, this time played in Connecticut.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-11-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Another first for Sloot:

First player in WNBA history to record 20 points and 15 assists in a single game. Way to go Sloot.

Here are some comments on tonight's game:

GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
    •In the first quarter, Courtney Vandersloot dished out three assists and became No. 10 on the WNBA All-Time Assist Leaderboard with 1,351. She was also the first player in WNBA history to record 20 points and 15 assists in a single game.
    •The Sky tied the WNBA record for assists in a game with 35. The last time a team recorded 35 assists was the Minnesota Lynx on Sept. 1, 2017, against the Sky.
    •The Sun’s bench outscored the Sky’s bench 31-21.

SKY NOTES:
    •WNBA steals leader Gabby Williams recorded three steals in the game. She came into the contest averaging 1.7 steals per game.
    •The Sky had six players in double digits: Diamond DeShields (12), Courtney Vandersloot (20), Allie Quigley (17), Stefanie Dolson (16), Kahleah Copper (10) and Gabby Williams (11).
    •Chicago shot 54.2 percent from the floor and held Connecticut to 43.1 percent.
    •The Sky led the entire game with the largest lead being 20 points.

SKY GUARD COURTNEY VANDERSLOOT

On the ball movement:
    “That’s when we’re at our best when were really pushing the pace, getting good wide open shots and knocking them down. I think that’s when you feel everything is going well. We scored 97 points [and] had six people score in double digits. When you move the ball and people are making shots, I think any team is hard to guard.

On the importance of pushing the pace:
    “I think after last game, we needed to push the pace. We scored [64] points, and that’s just not us. That was the mindset from the tip, to just get the ball and go. Like I’ve said 100 times, that’s when we’re at our best. We’re really tough to guard. We have people who can score, people who can run [and] athleticism off the charts. That’s how we’re going to win games.”

On becoming the No. 10 in WNBA history in total assists:
    “It feels good. Especially to do it in a game like this when it seemed like every time I passed it, someone made the shot. I get joy off of that [and] it’s fun to play that way. I’m happy for my teammates who are just making the shots. [Winning] the game is what’s most important.”

SUN GUARD LAYSHIA CLARENDON

On preparing for the Sky:
    “[Vandersloot] is tough; she’s leading the lead in assists. It’s hard when you have a player who’s so poised that can pick you apart, and Dolson is obviously hitting tonight in ways she hit last year. Obviously the game plan was get her more shots and she made them. They just executed tonight.

ZagDad

Here is a link to Sloot's highlights from last night's game:

Video Link: http://www.wnba.com/video/vandersloo...lights-vs-sun/

The Dallas Wings got beat today, so the Sky still have something to play for tomorrow against the Sun.

ZagDad

Thanks for the highlight clip ZagDad, that was fun.

Las Vegas is not far behind Dallas but they've been slumping, as has Dallas. Would be interesting in Chicago jumped over one or both of them in the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Thanks for the highlight clip ZagDad, that was fun.

Las Vegas is not far behind Dallas but they've been slumping, as has Dallas. Would be interesting in Chicago jumped over one or both of them in the standings.
    Yep Dallas is in the last playoff position (8th) 3 games ahead of the Sky and two games ahead of Las Vegas. Las Vegas is in 9th, one game ahead of the Sky. It will be interesting if the Las Vegas Aces fail to make the playoffs because of the game the Ace's players refused to play against Washington because of travel delays which the WNBA later decided to penalize the Aces with a forfeit.

ZagDad

Aces blew out Indiana tonight to end their losing streak.

Maybe that forfeit will cost them, but Washington has been playing well, particularly at home. Aces probably would've lost that game anyway. They destroyed Seattle the other day. Speaking of which, did you notice on a 4 game East Coast road trip the Storm had 2 games w/ 11:30 local time tip off, on weekdays, which means 8:30 am by their body clocks. That was just ridiculous. Why start a game so early on a weekday?

Dallas lost again today but so did Chicago. They may not be mathematically eliminated but their chances now are between slim and none.

10 points 7 rebounds 7 assists 7 turnovers for Sloot.

Offense wins games, Defense wins Championships.

Chicago only shot 41.5% today and only scored 8 points in the 3rd quarter to lose by 7, 82-75. The big difference which has been the issue all year is defense. Connecticut outrebounded the Sky 51-33 (18 boards) and the Sky gave up 21 offensive boards while only getting 5 offensive boards themselves. You lose by 7 but give the other team 16 more opportunities at second chance points, we can see where the game was lost.

The Sky simply do not have a defensive mentality so they count on having to out-score the other team by shooting very well or the opposing team shooting poorly. Their defensive execution has rendered them in the bottom 1/3 of the league the last two years and until they get better defensive players or a different mindset at the coaching position, I don't think they are going anywhere too soon.

ZagDad

A couple of interesting updates after yesterday's WNBA games.

First, after their 8th loss in a row, the Dallas Wings (currently hold the 8th and last playoff spot) head coach got into an altercation with the president and CEO of the Wings and was subsequently fired.

Article Link: http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/...ngs-head-coach

Lindsey Whalen, #3 on the all-time assist list has announced her retirement at the end of this year. She has also been hired as the University of Minnesota Wbb head coach.

Article Link: http://www.wnba.com/news/lynx-guard-...ent-from-wnba/
    Article Link: http://www.wnba.com/news/whalen-to-l...cy-of-winning/

ZagDad

That's a wild situation in Dallas. Heard that on ESPN last night while watching the Sparks-Mercury game.

I was hoping Whalen would retire after this season. She's a pale shadow of her former self, and D1 coaching is a full time gig for everybody else.

Here is a thought for you.

The Lynx starting point guard is Tanisha Wright (age 35) and her backup is Lindsey Whalen (age 36 soon to be retired). Wright has only scored in double figures four times this year (Sloot has 7 double-doubles). Wright's largest number of assists this year is six (6) once with a next high of only four (4) assists. Can you think of a better place for Sloot to go to than Minnesota? Adding CV to Minnesota would be a huge upgrade for the Lynx and certainly help move them back into the discussion of a championship team.

ZagDad

They also have Danielle Robinson (29) who was starting while they held Whalen out to rest, but now she's injured. I don't think Brunson or Augustus have many year left either, so there is going to be some roster churn soon in Minnesota. Will certainly be interesting to see if Sloot stays in Chicago or moves on.

Another interesting off season thing to follow is whether Las Vegas tries to trade either Plum or Jefferson. Jefferson hasn't really been fully healthy since her rookie year I don't think. She's back now but it seems like Plum has really seized the PG position (she's scored 20+ three straight games and had 13 assists her last game, Sloot type numbers). Jefferson might have some value to someone looking for a starting quality PG, enough to bring in a player that can really help Las Vegas.

This is OT, but since it's just you and me having a conversation about various things related to women's hoops--I just met Brittany McPhee this weekend. She was out hiking, I think with her brother and sister. She's cool.

This is OT, but since it's just you and me having a conversation about various things related to women's hoops--I just met Brittany McPhee this weekend. She was out hiking, I think with her brother and sister. She's cool.
    Have never met Brittany or her family, but I have seen several in depth interviews with her the last couple of years.

Extremely intelligent, talented, classy young women.

She made a very good Cardinal. She would have made an even better Zag.

ZagDad