Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update on Courtney Vandersloot

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    IMO Bri January never got the accolades and love from Spokane she should have....fantastic HS player, great college player and a WNBA er....
    Briann got lots of accolades while in High School (my kids went to school with her). However when you choose to go away to college (ASU) and play most of your career in Indianapolis you tend to be forgotten. There are lots of kids from Eastern Washington and North Idaho who went to, Texas and ASU (2 others were played with Briann) around the same time. Most of these girls only played a couple of years of WNBA if any so you never hear of them now. Briann has been an all-star defender for several years in the WNBA. She has gotten a lot more respect from the WNBA community than CV ever has.

Briann is now playing for Phoenix and is an assistant basketball coach for the Sun Devils.

ZagDad

From GoZags about Courtney Vandersloot:

Courtney Vandersloot Breaks WNBA Assists Record
    Former Zag is in eighth year in the league

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Last night in the Chicago Sky's 91-88 win over the Minnesota Lynx, Gonzaga alum Courtney Vandersloot broke Ticha Penicheiro's 18 year-old record for most assists (236) in a single season in the WNBA. Vandersloot now has 241 this season with two games remaining. In WNBA history, 200 assists has only been achieved 16 times. She finished the game with 16 points and 10 assists in her eighth double-double of the season.

Vandersloot has led the WNBA in assists the past two seasons and is averaging 8.6 per game this season, over one assist better than the next closest player. On July 20 of this year, she became the seventh player to have a triple-double in WNBA history, finishing with 13 points, 10 rebounds and a career-best 15 assists. She was the first Chicago Sky player in team history to record the feat.

"I mean it's pretty nice, Ticha Penicheiro set the bar pretty high," Vandersloot told the Sky. "She is one of the best passers that the game has ever seen, I am lucky to have played with her here in Chicago, and I am lucky to try to fill those shoes if I can, like I said it's going to be pretty tough, it was tough but when it comes down to it, it's my teammates making shots. I get a lot of assists off them just making an open jumper."

In the 2011 WNBA Draft, she became the first Bulldog player in school history to be drafted in the first round of the WNBA, as she was the third overall pick, taken by the Chicago Sky.

Vandersloot, the three-time West Coast Conference Player of the Year, was also was named to the Associated Press All-America Team second-team and State Farm Coaches' All-America Basketball team, USBWA All-America, the Nancy Lieberman Award winner as the top point guard in the nation, and is the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award winner.
    Article Link: https://gozags.com/news/2018/8/15/wo...ts-record.aspx

ZagDad

I saw January play a few times when ASU came to Seattle to play UW. In my opinion she was a dirty player. All of the ASU guards at the time were. Somehow the Huskies were on the ground more often than not, and it wasn't because they were a bunch of floppers. They had some help finding their way to the floor.

I never really understood that Spokane/Yakima to ASU connection, but CTT got some good mileage out of it.

I never really understood that Spokane/Yakima to ASU connection, but CTT got some good mileage out of it.
    It has not ended yet. Kelsey Moos from Reardan graduated in 2016 and this year CTT has incoming freshman Jamie Loera from Moses Lake and Taya Hanson from Kelowna, British Columbia.

I don't remember January as being particularly dirty, but she was and is incredible on defense and she will push the limit on what the officials will call. She certainly has turned that tenacity into a very productive career in the WNBA and now into coaching.

ZagDad

BreakingT has created a t-shirt that celebrates Sloots breaking the season assist record. You can view it and purchase it here.

Link: https://breakingt.com/products/court...es-dimes-dimes

ZagDad

Back to back games against Indiana to close the season. Sky win the first one in OT. Sloot had 24 points 10 assists 9 rebounds, just missed another triple double! Actually w/ 7 TO's she was approaching a quadruple double.

Thanks SeaCat.

Actually the Sky won in double OT today.

To give Sloot a little more credit, in addition to her 24 pts, 10 assists and 9 rebounds (and the 7 turnovers) she also had 2 steals, lead the Sky with 2 blocks and oh by the way, hit both of her free throws with 1.5 sec left in the game to send it to the first overtime. She had a relatively decent day. CV is up to an average of 8.7 assists per game, considerably above the current record of 8.1 assists per game with only one more game to go.

Fever and the Sky finish up the season tomorrow in Chicago. It looks like Sloot needs only 5 more assists tomorrow to move into 9th place on the all-time assists list replacing Tameka Johnson. With a couple of decent seasons in the next two years Sloot could move into 7th or 6th place next year depending on how Cappie Pondexter does next year and into 5th place the following year.

Here are some Sloot highlights from today's game.

CV Highlight Link: http://www.wnba.com/video/vandersloo...-10-ast-9-reb/

ZagDad

Sloot only played 6 minutes in the 1st half of the game today. It's not foul trouble, and they aren't resting her for the playoffs. What the heck? 4 points and 3 assists at this point.

What were you saying about Chicago and defense ZagDad? Yikes. Scored 92 and they are going to lose. Gave up 97. Sloot stuck on 4 points, has 7 assists. 258 on the year and that was missing 4 games at the beginning.

Sloot only played 6 minutes in the 1st half of the game today. It's not foul trouble, and they aren't resting her for the playoffs. What the heck? 4 points and 3 assists at this point.
    Linnae Harper who averages just over 6 minutes a game had almost nineteen minutes in relief of Sloot today, most of it in the first half. No idea why except maybe they were resting CV in the first half because she played 37 min yesterday. Seems like the only thing the Sky had going for it was for Sloot to set the seasonal assist record as high as possible. They certainly did not play it that way.

What were you saying about Chicago and defense ZagDad? Yikes. Scored 92 and they are going to lose. Gave up 97.
    This year, the Chicago Sky and defense should never be used in the same sentence, because they have absolutely had nothing to do with one another.

Now we see if the Sky resign Sloot to a long term contract.

ZagDad

Here is an article in today's Spokesman-Review on Sloot. Couple of interesting points in the article. The Chicago Sky have fired their head coach and GM, so if CV goes back to Chicago she will be playing for a different coach and possibly a different system. Secondly CV has elected to not go back to Turkey this off-season and has signed with UMMC Ekaterinburg of the Russian Premier League, the reigning Euro League champion.

Former Gonzaga standout Courtney Vandersloot reflects on record-breaking WNBA season
    Wed., Sept. 5, 2018, 5 a.m.

By Dave Trimmer
    For The Spokesman-Review

With a one-handed, no-look bounce pass for a transition layup, another Gonzaga alum had the single-season record for assists in a professional league. Courtney Vandersloot set the WNBA single-season assists record as the 2018 season wound down last month, just as John Stockton did in the NBA in 1991.

The Chicago Sky point guard surpassed Ticha Penicheiro’s 236 assists in 2000 for the Sacramento Monarchs, finishing with 251 in 29 games, an average of 8.7 per game, which broke her own record of 8.1.

“I was surprised,” the 2011 Gonzaga grad said of setting the record. “But that’s just kind of the pace we play at. The offense plays into that. I have a lot of good players around me who play fast. I get a lot of those kinds of assists in transition.”

Like Stockton, whom Vandersloot leaned on during her playing days at The Kennel, the 29-year old could also end up with the career record, having moved into the WNBA’s top 10 in her eighth season. “It doesn’t feel like it’s been eight years,” she said. “It’s been a fun eight years. I hope can play eight more.”

Despite leading the league in assists three times, Vandersloot has not been a WNBA All-Star since her rookie season of 2011. “If I’m being completely honest, of course I wish it had resulted in more All-Star teams,” she said. “But I realize how hard it is. …That’s not why I play, that’s not what motivates me.”

Her focus is on team success and self improvement. The Sky have made the playoffs four times in their 13 seasons, all after Vandersloot became the starting point guard. They reached the WNBA finals in 2014 but have missed the playoffs the past two seasons. “Over the years we’ve had really good players, really good pieces, but they haven’t been the right pieces. There’s always been some type of issue,” Vandersloot explained.
    “Really good teams have pieces that fit perfectly. … That’s been the process since I’ve been here. It’s not just having good pieces, it’s having the right pieces.”

The Sky have lost All-Star players like Sylvia Fowles and Elena Delle Donne, who wanted to play elsewhere. Another change is coming in the front office after the Sky fired second-year general manager/coach Amber Stocks last Friday. Vandersloot played for Pokey Chatman her first six seasons.
    “Yeah, we’ve had really good players that left, and in a perfect world that doesn’t happen,” she said. “But we’re well on our way to finding those perfect pieces.”

On an individual level, Vandersloot wants to add a floater to her skill set because “a lot of times I get in the lane and a floater would be perfect, but I just don’t have it in my repertoire now.” In the world of women’s basketball, the assist record might not be the most significant accomplishment this season for the only player in Division I history with 2,000 points and 1,000 assists.

Vandersloot has signed with UMMC Ekaterinburg of the Russian Premier League, the reigning Euro League champion. Russia, which boasts 18 Euro League titles, four by UMMC, is the competitive and financial pinnacle for women’s basketball players. UMMC, whose recent rosters have been dotted with the best players in the world, has won 10 straight Premier League titles.

“I love playing in Europe,” she said. “I hate being away from my family that long, but I enjoy seeing the country.” Vandersloot has played overseas in six different countries: Turkey, Croatia, Slovakia, Hungry, Italy and Poland. The latter was her favorite, because it was based in the university city of Krakow.

One of the cool things about breaking the assist record is that Penicheiro (who once had current GU assistant Stacy Clinesmith as a backup) is Vandersloot’s agent, the result of a relationship that developed when they played together early in Vandersloot’s career. “That makes it special, too,” Vandersloot said. “She wants me to break those records. At least that’s what she tells me.”

Vandersloot only has a small window to rest before she heads overseas, which doesn’t leave her much time for savoring her accomplishment.
    “It’s a cool thing,” she said. “I’ve kind of been like a broken record, saying this over and over, it’s one of one of those things I’ll appreciate after my career. Records are made to be broken. I’m sure this record won’t last very long.”

Don’t bet against Vandersloot being the one to break it.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ersloot-refle/

ZagDad

With the heroics of Sue Bird and the play of MVP Breanna Stewart, the Seattle Storm have a 2-0 lead over the Washington Mystics in the WNBA Championship heading back to Washington for games #3 (Tuesday @ 5:00 PM) & #4 (Friday @ 5:00 PM) and if necessary game #5 back in Seattle on Sunday @ 5:00 pm. All game times at PST and shown on ESPN2 if your interested.

With all of the records set this year, I thought it might be fun to compare the top 5 point guards (based on total assists) of all time to our home town favorite, Sloot.

Shooting Percentages
    Courtney V. - 239 Gms, 43.9% Overall, 35.0% from 3Pt, 82.6% from Ft
    Sue Bird - 508 Gms, 42.9% Overall, 38.9% from 3Pt, 85.2% from Ft
    Ticha Penicheiro - 454 Gms, 35.1% Overall, 24.8% from 3Pt, 73.1% from Ft
    Lindsey Whalen - 480 Gms, 46.1% Overall, 29.0% from 3Pt, 81.2% from Ft
    Becky Hammond - 450 Gms, 43.8% Overall, 37.8% from 3Pt, 89.7% from Ft
    Diana Taurasi - 431 Gms, 43.5% Overall, 36.9% from 3Pt, 86.8% from Ft

Totals Per Game
    Courtney V. - 9.58 Pts, 5.80 Asts, 2.89 Rebs, 1.23 Stls, 2.66 T/Os, 0.43 Blks
    Sue Bird - 12.1 Pts, 5.57 Asts, 2.58 Rebs, 1.28 Stls, 2.50 T/Os, 0.12 Blks
    Ticha Penicheiro - 6.05 Pts, 5.73 Asts, 3.28 Rebs, 1.68 Stls, 2.50 T/Os, 0.11 Blks
    Lindsey Whalen - 11.51 Pts, 4.89 Asts, 3.78 Rebs, 1.04 Stls, 2.10 T/Os, 0.09 Blks
    Becky Hammond - 12.98 Pts, 3.80 Asts, 2.47 Rebs, 1.08 Stls, 2.72 T/Os, 0.13 Blks
    Diana Taurasi - 19.84 Pts, 4.26 Asts, 3.96 Rebs, 1.01 Stls, 2.75 T/Os, 0.68 Blks

The above numbers are based on regular season numbers and do not include pre-season or post-season values. The results are fairly interesting, keeping in mind that Diana Taurasi is probably the outlier because she is expected to score more like a shooting guard than a true point guard.

So what do you think??

ZagDad

Sloot selected to 2nd team All-WNBA.

Article Link: https://gozags.com/news/2018/9/13/wo...cond-team.aspx

Congratulations Courtney,

ZagDad

I was really happy to see that, well deserved honor for Sloot.