• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

BW revisited

Interesting comments on the Athletic.

Williams says. “Ultimately, I made the decision based on where I was going to be happy. Arizona has always been my dream school.”

Although the controversy surrounding the program hindered Miller’s efforts to bring in transfers, he did land a pair of capable graduate transfers in Ryan Luther, a 6-9 forward from Pitt, and Justin Coleman, a 5-10 guard from Samford. Coleman played his first two years at Alabama, averaging 7.8 points and 3.3 assists as a sophomore, and he is more of a traditional pass-first point guard. He has the potential to start at that position, either supplanting Williams in the lineup or, more likely, playing alongside him.

Since Williams arrived on campus in early June, he has been working to strengthen his right leg, which is weak due to surgery he had 18 months ago to correct osteochondritis, a debilitating inflammation in the joint. Williams played his senior year of high school, but he knows he will have to be in better condition to succeed in college.
  • DagsZags
    Bulldog Fan
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Interesting comments on the Athletic.

Williams says. “Ultimately, I made the decision based on where I was going to be happy. Arizona has always been my dream school.”

Although the controversy surrounding the program hindered Miller’s efforts to bring in transfers, he did land a pair of capable graduate transfers in Ryan Luther, a 6-9 forward from Pitt, and Justin Coleman, a 5-10 guard from Samford. Coleman played his first two years at Alabama, averaging 7.8 points and 3.3 assists as a sophomore, and he is more of a traditional pass-first point guard. He has the potential to start at that position, either supplanting Williams in the lineup or, more likely, playing alongside him.

Since Williams arrived on campus in early June, he has been working to strengthen his right leg, which is weak due to surgery he had 18 months ago to correct osteochondritis, a debilitating inflammation in the joint. Williams played his senior year of high school, but he knows he will have to be in better condition to succeed in college.
    As much as I would've loved to see BW as a Zag, I would've loved him long-term, where I think GU is much better off with Geno Crandall for this upcoming year as a proven D1 scorer and PG/CG. BW would've been great to have for the 2019-20 season, though...

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Not sure why this was mvd . Meanwhile though. all the
      hustle" put up bout BW may prove to be iffy. I wish him well but he's got a lot of work to do to be a first rate D1 guard. The continued knee weakness is troublesome/ The best thing always happens....I do think Geno will suit us better. In some ways it's the Dakota/Midwest culture which fits us very well.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
        Not sure why this was mvd . Meanwhile though. all the
        hustle" put up bout BW may prove to be iffy. I wish him well but he's got a lot of work to do to be a first rate D1 guard. The continued knee weakness is troublesome/ The best thing always happens....I do think Geno will suit us better. In some ways it's the Dakota/Midwest culture which fits us very well.
        Agree, this is more germane than half of the dog days of summer posts we have now. Geno is our Kawhi, one year injection of high level talent towards the NC.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Clarke and Crandall will show us an advanced form of basketball. Just great pickups! Something tells me we go the distance this year.
          Last edited by MDABE80; 07-18-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Markburn1
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2015

Agree, this is more germane than half of the dog days of summer posts we have now. Geno is our Kawhi, one year injection of high level talent towards the NC.
            Curious. The post is of material importance to the Zags fortunes. Looks as though Few and company may have dodged a bullet.

I am rooting for the kid to get healthy and justify the hype. Meanwhile, the Zags may have caught the Lone Ranger's silver bullet in Master Crandall.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Mods, please restore.

A bit more on Miller’s new, scandal fueled approach to recruiting. He says the “Villanova” way but he could just as easily say the “Gonzaga” way.

“One potential adjustment Miller hopes to make moving forward regards his recruiting strategy. Whereas in the past he has been in the business of replenishing depleted rosters with another crop of one-and-doners, he hopes to scavenge for players who have the same potential but are not quite as developed, which means they will stick around longer and give the program more stability. He is hoping to copy the model that has been in place at Villanova, which has two NCAA titles in the last three years to show for it. “I’m looking for four-star guys who want to develop, as opposed to just five-star guys who are thinking about how quickly they can leave,” he says.

Comment

• Murphy outgo lifer
                Kennel Club
                • Aug 2015

Mods, please restore.

A bit more on Miller’s new, scandal fueled approach to recruiting. He says the “Villanova” way but he could just as easily say the “Gonzaga” way.

“One potential adjustment Miller hopes to make moving forward regards his recruiting strategy. Whereas in the past he has been in the business of replenishing depleted rosters with another crop of one-and-doners, he hopes to scavenge for players who have the same potential but are not quite as developed, which means they will stick around longer and give the program more stability. He is hoping to copy the model that has been in place at Villanova, which has two NCAA titles in the last three years to show for it. “I’m looking for four-star guys who want to develop, as opposed to just five-star guys who are thinking about how quickly they can leave,” he says.
                Good strategy. Not only more stability but also less likely to end with a federal indictment!!!

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

Who?

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

For the life of me, I can't see why this thread was moved back to the main mbb board. It's a big yawner.

Comment

• ZagaholicPodcast
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                      Who?
                      You're gosh-darn right! 'Who?', indeed!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                        For the life of me, I can't see why this thread was moved back to the main mbb board. It's a big yawner.
                        You’re not remotely interested in the fate of arguably our #1 CBB rival in the West, particularly involving a mutual recruit this board spent weeks if not months speculating about?

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Maybe glance at it in the "General Basketball" forum if some new information comes up.

Comment

• ZagNative
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

You’re not remotely interested in the fate of arguably our #1 CBB rival in the West, particularly involving a mutual recruit this board spent weeks if not months speculating about?
                            Nope. Not remotely interesting.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                              Nope. Not remotely interesting.
                              Ok. I’ll put one poster down for “not remotely interested.”

Comment

Working...
                              X