Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 More Scholarship Available?

Default 1 More Scholarship Available?

Please move if this post is unnecessary but last i checked we had 2 scholarships available prior to the Crandall signing... leaving us now with still one open scholly. If that be the case, what do we expect the staff to go after? Myself, i would like to see another big man for depth, ala Ryan Edwards type who can come in and give solid minutes and play good defense. Our bigs are all talented but not huge guys ala Ryan or Shem. I am a little worried about them getting pushed around inside.

If not a large big, then i would hope that we could get a undergrad transfer who becomes available and groom him for 19-20.

Thoughts?

Jacob Larsen

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Please move if this post is unnecessary but last i checked we had 2 scholarships available prior to the Crandall signing... leaving us now with still one open scholly. If that be the case, what do we expect the staff to go after? Myself, i would like to see another big man for depth, ala Ryan Edwards type who can come in and give solid minutes and play good defense. Our bigs are all talented but not huge guys ala Ryan or Shem. I am a little worried about them getting pushed around inside.

If not a large big, then i would hope that we could get a undergrad transfer who becomes available and groom him for 19-20.

Thoughts?
    Think we still have two scholarships. Wade left.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Think we still have two scholarships. Wade left.
    No. Just one:

1. Greg Foster (PG)
    2. Filip Petrusev (PF)
    3. Josh Perkins (PG)
    4. Jeremy Jones (SF)
    5. Killian Tillie (PF)
    6. Rui Hachimura (SF)
    7. Brandon Clarke (PF)
    8. Zach Norvell (SG)
    9. Jacob Larsen (C)
    10. Joel Ayayi (PG)
    11. Corey Kispert (SF)
    12. Geno Crandall (PG)
    13. OPEN

Just a "guess" ... but I am pretty confident there are still a couple of foreign guys on the radar. One would potentially be game ready, the other would be someone who could develop with a redshirt. The ONLY thing I've heard is "think a young Manu Ginobli" ... but not sure which guy.

Again ... this is from piecing a couple pieces of the "scuttlebut" puzzle together.

And ... as I always caution .. "Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag". And I'll edit to echo Tommy ... "The internet knows about 5 percent of what's going on".

Here's the 1999 top Euro's if anyone wants to take a stab :

https://eurospects.com/?page_id=8925

And the 2000, our man Petrusev is #3 and Ayayi is #9:

https://eurospects.com/?page_id=9249

Noticing that in euro spects Top 10 list (on the right in a column) we have Ayayi and Petrusev already on board. I hope this plethora of talent works out. After seeing Ayayi, I'm certain he'd be a frontline almost anywhere. Fast kid at 6 ft 5 in. Good defense and a great distributor. Petrusev is a developing phenom. Although we don't have a frontline 7 ft center (we'll see on Jacob Larsen), we surely have enough to control the boards and drop plenty of points. In Maui, I do hope we get the best teams to play. We'll keep up with Duke easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    No. Just one:

1. Greg Foster (PG)
    2. Filip Petrusev (PF)
    3. Josh Perkins (PG)
    4. Jeremy Jones (SF)
    5. Killian Tillie (PF)
    6. Rui Hachimura (SF)
    7. Brandon Clarke (PF)
    8. Zach Norvell (SG)
    9. Jacob Larsen (C)
    10. Joel Ayayi (PG)
    11. Corey Kispert (SF)
    12. Geno Crandall (PG)
    13. OPEN
    Jeremy Jones is a walk-on. Will be given a scholarship if the two are not filled.

I don't see any point in going after anyone. Give the schoolies to walk ons, but more importantly, hold on to them for a possible mid-season transfer or a grad transfer next season. The program already has three "projects" in it already. Two of them will see some minutes this year, but they still need to develop more before they see major minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Just a "guess" ... but I am pretty confident there are still a couple of foreign guys on the radar. One would potentially be game ready, the other would be someone who could develop with a redshirt. The ONLY thing I've heard is "think a young Manu Ginobli" ... but not sure which guy.

Again ... this is from piecing a couple pieces of the "scuttlebut" puzzle together.

And ... as I always caution .. "Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag". And I'll edit to echo Tommy ... "The internet knows about 5 percent of what's going on".
    Killian Hayes is our game ready recruit we are looking at from what I have heard, but he is young like still. He might be ready to jump over late this summer, but most likely looking at 2019. A lot of his game does look like Manu's, which would be a great add to any program. He has played some with/against Tillie and Ayayi, so there is the connection there for us. Would be a huge recruit for any program.

ZagNative’s scholarship chart shows just two openings for 2019. If we use one of them for a 2018 player, it should be someone really special, because there are still a lot of excellent 2019 prospects out there. The 2018 roster is well-rounded with size, shooting, athleticism, and depth at every position. We don’t need to bring in another body just to bring in another body.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    ZagNative’s scholarship chart shows just two openings for 2019. If we use one of them for a 2018 player, it should be someone really special, because there are still a lot of excellent 2019 prospects out there. The 2018 roster is well-rounded with size, shooting, athleticism, and depth at every position. We don’t need to bring in another body just to bring in another body.
    That's not counting Rui and Tillie who are virtual locks to leave and possibly Norvell.

Hayes is special.

Hayes is special.
    Agreed, but I was sure he was a 2019.

Any chance that Killian Hayes could sign on this year and redshirt similar to what Ayayi did to gain familiarity with the program as I know he’d be a young 2018 recruit...but from the description of his talent level it almost seems like he may be too talented to keep off the court for a year if he signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Jones is a walk-on. Will be given a scholarship if the two are not filled.
    My recollection is that Jeremy Jones was given a scholarship last year. I assume the award would continue. Am I wrong?

Hayes is special.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

My recollection is that Jeremy Jones was given a scholarship last year. I assume the award would continue. Am I wrong?
    Scholarships are one-year promises that are normally renewed year to year. The university can choose not to renew his scholarship, but I doubt they would. He brings a lot of leadership and hustle to the locker room and the practice floor.

Scholarships are one-year promises that are normally renewed year to year. The university can choose not to renew his scholarship, but I doubt they would. He brings a lot of leadership and hustle to the locker room and the practice floor.
    I think it's a lock that Jeremy will be on scholarship this coming season.

Reference regarding Jeremy Jones scholarship from Guboards post of October 20, 2017:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Looks like Tommy Lloyd announced at the Seattle kick-off event that Jones is now a scholarship player. (see post #20 from GoZags).

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Agreed, but I was sure he was a 2019.
    Yes he is 2019. He is only 16. Turns 17 at the end of this month. Doubt he will be here this year.

He was given a schollie last year, so is given one this year.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Yes he is 2019. He is only 16. Turns 17 at the end of this month. Doubt he will be here this year.
    He is more likely a 2019 recruit, but have been hearing rumblings that he might come over this year similar to what Ayayi did. 2 years in a college system and he is a lottery pick.

I agree.

Hate to burst bubbles, but Hayes is off the table. He signed an "aspirant" pro contract in 2017 but just re-upped last month with a true 3-year pro contract with Cholet and amateur status is toast.